German members sign in here

Discussion in 'Europe' started by bavarian, Apr 2, 2008.

1. gpracer171

gpracer171 Kodak Courage

Oddometer:
    Anyone on here live near Erlangen? I moved here in November and I am needing to get my Bike inspected. I have several questions about this and getting my license. It looks like I will ahve to take the Motocycle lessons and the whole process for my Motorcycle endorsement as they will only access my Car license. So I also need someone who can suggest a FahrSchule who will do a short process or course ro save some cash sense I have been riding for 30+ years.

Let em know if you can help.
  2. Hide & Seek

Hide & Seek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NSW, riding heaven soon to be Berlin, riding hell
    Hi guys,

Sorry if this has already be covered (probably many times) but I'm after information on buying a bike in Germany. I will be moving to Berlin from Australia in april and couldn't bear to think about living without a bike.

To begin with I will be there on a 12 month working holiday visa and I will get an international driving permit. Will it just be a matter of buying a bike and paying insurance? Would there be anything else involved?

Obviously if I stay on after the 12 month I will need to look into getting a German license etc. I'm just looking at the easiest way of owning and riding a bit for the first 12 months

Cheers
    Riley
  3. Mike_K

Mike_K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the south of germany you have a lot of great tracks but also in the area around Eifel (near Koblenz, Aachen, Cochem) , Sauerland (near Olpe) , Bergisches Land (near Cologne) and Westerwald (near Koblenz). But like GatorTiger said: At the weekends in the season therer are many bikes and many crank people on the road.

Regards Mike
  4. HIgh Water

HIgh Water Waisting Time

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all of you who responded to my questions. No question about it, ADVriders are great people everywhere. I just got back to Baja after great tour of Czech and Germany. I think I hit every major city and had a great German guide to show me all the ins and out we could cram into a two week trip. I rented and Audi A6 to make the Autobahn more …umm.. enjoyable! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I have been living in Baja for the last three winters (CO in summer) so my blood is thin which made it difficult to adjust to the temperatures there. My next rip over is in April to continue looking at where I want to live. I’ll be there for the next five years so I’m not in a hurry to decide. I look forward to meeting all of you once spring comes and I get a bike set up over there.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Tschuss,<o:p></o:p>
  5. AT86

AT86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hallo everybody,

i am living in germany close to Heidelberg. My first travel on a bike was at the age of 16 with a 80ccm Honda MB8 from germany to Genoa/Italy and from there along the coast all the way to Cannes and back along the Route Napoleon. With 17 i rode with two friends with the same bike down to Lloret de Mar in Spain.
    A few years later i had a brand new Honda Africa Twin in 1991 which i took all the way around the Iberian Island down to Gibraltar and back.

So looking foreward to meet some more interesting people here.
  6. Brit/Man II

Brit/Man II Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear from you hope you like it here, I live up northish around Dortmund if your ever up here drop me a PM for a meet :deal Brit/Man II (JOE)

7. Death6

Death6 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Y'all, Guten Tag,
    I just found this forum but not new to Germany or riding. I too am close to Heidelberg. I just picked up a 2013 GSA last Sep and now keep looking at it in the garage waiting for March so I can ride again. Unfortunately, I will be leaving Germany (again) probably for the last time this summer. I am looking forward to riding with all my German friends soon.

Bob
    2013 R1200GSA
    1996 K1100RS
    1991 GSXR750
  8. GatorTiger

GatorTiger Go Gators - Ride Tigers!

Oddometer:
    Considering your bike I especially like your avatar!!!! :wink:
  9. faltklo

faltklo n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there!

I'm Lucas, 24, from Remscheid (50km east of Köln).
    Bike is a KTM 690 Enduro R
    Interests are Soccer (1. FC Köln - e leeve lang rut un wiess), riding my bike, and old cars (bmw e30)
  10. GatorTiger

GatorTiger Go Gators - Ride Tigers!

Oddometer:
    Moin Lucas!

Willkumme unn Jröösse ann de schäl Sick!! :D

Cheers,
    HG
    (Exil-Erpel-er :wink:)
  11. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    Awesome, I'm going to the FC Koln game on Saturday!
  12. faltklo

faltklo n00b

Oddometer:
    Meet You there :D

S13
  13. Raphael Thier

Raphael Thier n00b

Oddometer:
    Hallo,

we stay in Bobingen, near Augsburg and Munich, Bavaria.
    1150Gs with Swing Sidecar and 1000 GS.
    If anybody gets in trouble around this area, just send a mail.
    Perhaps we are helpful....:wave, sorry if not

Regards
    Raphael, Annette and Anna
  14. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    Fantastic game, my first "foot ball" experience.

We were in O2, close to the Berlin fans...:rofl
  15. Marius356

Marius356 now aircooled... ❄

Oddometer:
    Although I grew up and always lived in Hamburg, I would recommend the Eifel area, if you do not necessarily need to have >1.0 million people around you (I do).

I really like being in the Eiffel, since the Nürburgring is around (top-notch car races for free, check http://www.vln.de/index.gb.php), the landscape is quite beautiful and Cologne (the weirdest city in Germany... Not only during carnival - people are very friendly and open) is about an hour away.

Also: Riding in Romania (Rumänien) seems to be popular with folks from the Africa Twin community. It supposedly has lots of rural areas, wild bears (fascinating for us...), and to live there is way cheaper than in the west.
    (Haven't done that yet).
    If you consider moving to Bavaria or Saxonia, you would enjoy the advantage of being close to the Eastern European countries and Italy.

The general problem of being in (western) Europe is the density of population.
    I enjoyed rinding in Canada and the U.S. very much, because there are certain advantages:
    not much traffic, car pool lanes in cities, lots of gravel and dirt roads, great ADV-Riders, friendly and helpful people, cheap gas, great infrastructure - perfect.

I will definitively come back for riding (coast to coast - again).
  16. jensht

jensht Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If all goes well I will be transferring from Hamburg to Munich sometime in summer! I am looking forward to elevation changes and curves :clap
  17. BlackTape

BlackTape fixes everything!!

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody,
    after reading in the Parallel Universe for quite a while I decided to join the 'inmates'.
    Not only in order to beeing able to use the wonderful smilies like this :huh , that :scratch or my most loves one :evil, but also to join somes of the threads.

I'm riding several bikes, my favorite for now is the 800GS, even if the seat is a torture.:bluduh

LG
    Susanne
  18. MikJogg

MikJogg Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hallo Susanne

Welcome to the asylum :evil:evil:evil

MJ
  19. Brit/Man II

Brit/Man II Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi hope you like it here I know I do, have fun :evil

Joe

20. boomer bike-travel

boomer bike-travel the F 800GS ADV twins

Oddometer:
    Hi to Germany,

although we left Germany to life our dream and go around the world since Jan 2011, we're still Germans and will return from the trip part 1 in a couple of months :)

We lived in the Black Forest and would like to return to this area - it's just bikers paradise. But we need to find new jobs and return to a normal life - for a couple of years :clap