User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Shooter M. OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Luggage for a small bike?

I was wondering if anyone has gotten the Ortlieb 50l soft luggage for a small bike. I have a 2009 KLX250SF and would like to get some waterproof soft bags for it-but will the Ortliebs be too big? Anyone have pics of theirs? They are super affordable and I know Ortlieb is a great brand.
Shooter M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,355
No experience with those but my suggestion wold be Wolfman.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Rolie/index.html

Marc
Old 02-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter M. View Post
I was wondering if anyone has gotten the Ortlieb 50l soft luggage for a small bike. I have a 2009 KLX250SF and would like to get some waterproof soft bags for it-but will the Ortliebs be too big? Anyone have pics of theirs? They are super affordable and I know Ortlieb is a great brand.
I put a 30L Givi on top and Givi E-21on the sides of my DRZ 400 S. Used the stock rack for the top and Happy Trails side racks for the E-21s. Cost a little more but very nice in most situations. They are water proof,locable,light weight, and have slim profile. Never took the top case off ,always had a use for it ,and added the side cases when needed. Worked great for me short trips or long. I prefer the hard cases but soft luggage will work. CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
Shooter M. OP
n00b

Well the Wolfman setup looks good, but it's small capacity was what made me look to the Ortlieb's. I want to go rackless, as this is my second bike and I don't know how long I will keep it. Just trying to put the least amount of money into it, but still want to carry as much as I need. I am new to motorbike travel, so I will probably be overthinking this for a while.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
I'm considering the Kriega set-up, overlander 30, with another 30 liters on the tailbag. Might check it out if 60 is enough.
xaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,423
Check Out Giant Loop

Giant Loop has some offerings that don't require racks if you're looking for a minimalist approach that gets the weight down low and towards the bike's CG. Not totally waterproof though - one of life's many compromises.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter M. View Post
Well the Wolfman setup looks good, but it's small capacity was what made me look to the Ortlieb's. I want to go rackless, as this is my second bike and I don't know how long I will keep it. Just trying to put the least amount of money into it, but still want to carry as much as I need. I am new to motorbike travel, so I will probably be overthinking this for a while.
Buy used saddle bags, use canoe-type roll-top dry-bags inside. I have used this set up on 3 or 4 bikes so far, starting with Nelson-Riggs 950 saddle bags I bought used in the ADV Flea-market. $100 - $150 should get you the whole kit.

Nice thing is the saddle bags stay on the bike, the dry-bag goes into your tent or motel room, contents start clean and dry.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
I have both Wolfman Expedition bags, and Coyote Giant Loop. I actually use them at the same time on long trips.

Pro Wolfman:

- Bags are waterproof.
- Slightly lower center of weight.
- When strapped properly, rides well.
- Add-on accesories is nice. For items quickly stored and grabbed, like a rain jacket, you can strap them to the top of the bags. I have the add on spray can / MSR container add ons too. Great for extra oil or chain wax.

Con:

- Difficult to get at items inside
- Requires rack
- Straps are a pain.
- Removing is a pain.
- Installation is a pain.
- The "soft" design can be a hassle when the circumfrance straps are tight to hold load, but then once you remove items to use, sutffing them in on the now "tight" straps cause issues. I'd almost want to line them with a semi-rigid container that many others do.
- Metal strap peices rust.

GL Coyote Pro:

- Was fairly waterproof after sealing seals. Not fully water/dust proof.
- Mounts or installs reasonably well.
- Removes reasonably quickly.
- No racks required
- Rides awesome. Jumps, whoops, anything. This system will take AGRESSIVE riding.

Cons:
- Not dust / waterproof.
- Accessing items not overly easy.
- Install and removal could be easier, but it's a trade off for wicked ride capability.
- My zipper is acting up. I need to see if I can improve it or clean it. Once again not that major and I"m sure for a free they would put a new zipper on it. I think it's more of dirty/grit that's preventing proper operation. It is a nice YYK zipper. Just wish it was weather sealed.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
Shooter M. OP
n00b

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I am not going to go with the Ortliebs, because the dimensions seem too large for my bike and I can't see them in person, even though the price is right. Maybe used is the best option for now, thanks for that suggestion. I will be keeping an eye out. I still have a couple of months to get it sorted out.