Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
sk8rdi16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Mine seems to be fairly sealed, but the door would be difficult to be made waterproof. The door did sit a little 'proud' when I had my honking tool set stuffed in a little tight. I'll definitely put it in a bag.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Be careful.. at full rear shock compression these type boxes will shear off your mud guard mounting bolt and could take out your rear brake bleader... ask me how I know

edit: to be fair to advdave, who just sent me an email, I am not sure if the damage to my rear brake bleader was caused by his box, or the european manufactured one I replaced it with. I had one of the early versions of advdave's box, but sold it pretty quickly because I did not like the side opening design. I replaced it with one of the rear opening boxes from ebay. I honestly do not know when the damage occured. Dave says his boxes have a cut out on the backside specifically to avoid the brake bleader, so I imagine the damage was done by the newer box. Also, I have a bad habit of getting both wheels of the GSA off the ground on occasion.. so I may be compressing the rear shock more than most. I will check the new box when I get home and see what they have done on the back side to address the rear brake bleader and will post up what I found... could be that Dave has a better design because he has thought of the bleader.

mrt10x screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 09:10 AM
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I did not like the side opening design. I replaced it with one of the rear opening boxes from ebay.
I didn't know there was a box with rear opening. It WOULD be nice to get into the tool case without removing the side case....ebay huh?

Oh, this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Ral...41e48f&vxp=mtr
Old 02-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
BillAllen
aka OlGeezer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Regardless the sealing that can be done, I would put my tool roll into a dry bag with some desiccant packs and make sure the tools were put in a bit oily to keep em from rusting, etc. No reason to expect a totally waterproof solution at this price point in my opinion. Tools placed in toolboxes in my garage have been known to rust with humidity. I still like the idea of this box to hold the tools instead of at the bottom of my adventure case, as then I can just leave them with the bike all the time and not have to drag them around when I unpack at camp or hotel.
Great ideas! I would never expect a tool box (or tube or...) to be waterproof, especially at this price.

Where do you get desiccant packs?

Where can you get a dry bag small enough for a tool pouch? I've only seen larger bags.

This particular tool box is on my "next accessory" list.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #20
BillAllen
aka OlGeezer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
I didn't know there was a box with rear opening. It WOULD be nice to get into the tool case without removing the side case....ebay huh?
Except you don't HAVE to lock it if the door is behind the pannier. I don't like having to carry extra keys. I usually lose them.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #21
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Adv dave

Dave's tool box install on my 2012 GSA. The installation went smoothly although I did have to add 2 washers as spacers behind the rear pannier mount. The bracket was welded slightly inward leaving a space between the tool box mounting plate and the rack.

seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #22
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
I rather like the side access to the tool box as it is less accessible to those who would pry it open given the opportunity. It is the main reason I bought this one as opposed to brand X.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
KankakeeBenjamin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rdi16 View Post
Mine seems to be fairly sealed, but the door would be difficult to be made waterproof. The door did sit a little 'proud' when I had my honking tool set stuffed in a little tight. I'll definitely put it in a bag.
Just Bought one myself!! Thanks for the positive review sk8rdi.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #24
dsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I've been running Dave's tool box for awhile now and have rode through a few gully washers, and one edge of a hurricane riding across Florida without seeing a drop of water inside the box. As far as which is better a rear or side door, for me the side door makes it much easier to cram a fat tool roll in or even to get my fat hand in to retrieve something from the far end.
Have nothing but praise for Daves work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAllen View Post
Except you don't HAVE to lock it if the door is behind the pannier. I don't like having to carry extra keys. I usually lose them.
Really you do since you need the key to shut the door.

dsy screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 02:00 PM
dsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #25
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
I love these units...great idea to have the recess for the caliper... But why not make another recess to avoid the mud flap...
DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #26
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Great ideas! I would never expect a tool box (or tube or...) to be waterproof, especially at this price.

Where can you get a dry bag small enough for a tool pouch? I've only seen larger bags.

This particular tool box is on my "next accessory" list.
Gander Mountain...
DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #27
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:

Here's one: http://www.uline.com/Grp_21/Desiccants
Old 02-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #28
twwhitey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
I'm looking forward to the flame war over which type of desiccants are best for this application - Silica Gel or Clay based.

Because we all know it's Silica Gel.
twwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #29
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT Rider View Post
I love these units...great idea to have the recess for the caliper... But why not make another recess to avoid the mud flap...
^^^^^GREAT IDEA^^^^^

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #30
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
I have to add my two cents. I have been running this toolbox for somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 months to two years and it has been excellent. I do a lot of off-roading and go over some rocky trails at pretty good speed so it gets a pretty good pounding. It has never even started to loosen up. It is solid. Dave even sent me out a new pair of rubber mounts for the top unsolicited just to say he had a better way not to mount the box. Very nice!

Highly recommend it, great value. Its not waterproof, but then again it doesn't seem to get much water in it, so I am a happy customer.

DH
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is online now   Reply With Quote