ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #73696
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirtwolf15x View Post
110km now, running good just a question, as this is my first DR650 and my first "new" bike ever, I can hear my timing chain, it's not "loud", in fact I only hear it if I try to listen to it. I'm wondering what "normal" engine noise is for a DR.

Thanks...
Probably one of the easiest fixes in the interwebs. You need to wear earplugs when you ride.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
http://www.kenmarshallmetalworks.com/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #73697
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
So then your saying check the chain slack with the bike loaded? And I have owned mostly dirt bikes had an XT-250 before this bike....
The chain will be tightest when the three pivots line up in a straight line

The countershaft, the swingarm shaft and the rear axle. If you can compress your suspension to that point and verify there is still a bit of slack you'll know you have it right. Then release the suspension and see what it needs to be when the suspension is unloaded and make a mental note or take measurements


1 First of all, the chain must be placed at its maximum tension condition. This condition will occur whenever the engine and wheel sprockets are at the maximum distance from each other.

To obtain this, it is generally necessary to load the back wheel (for example placing a person on the motorcycle) until the centers of the engine sprocket, the swingarm pivot and the rear wheel axle have been positioned on the same axis. The swinging arm will be parallel to the ground.

http://www.reginachain.it/eng/use_an...how_to05.shtml
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #73698
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: md
Oddometer: 1,305
dr650 plastics/side panels

i emailed acerbis about side panels for the dr650:

hi!

when are you going to carry plastics for the dr650? you could sell a lot. especially side panels! ;~) suzuki has made the same model since 1996 - you would only need one set of molds... :>)

thanks,

doug s.


here's the answer i got:

Hello,

We do not get requests for plastics for that bike. We would have to have about 1500 request in order to start the project on making plastics for that bike. I can mention it to the higher ups but you are the only request I have had for a while sorry.

Thanks,
Brian


doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #73699
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
When the snow melts and I can get into my shed, I'll check to see if I have one for ya.
Thanks Steve!
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #73700
Spirtwolf15x
n00b
 
Spirtwolf15x's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Probably one of the easiest fixes in the interwebs. You need to wear earplugs when you ride.
I guess I'm just being paranoid, first break in and all. I want my bike to last and run well while it does.
Spirtwolf15x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #73701
neo1piv014
ADV in training
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirtwolf15x View Post
I guess I'm just being paranoid, first break in and all. I want my bike to last and run well while it does.
The DR is definitely one of the noisier bikes I've ridden. Once you get used to it, it's all just part of the fun.
__________________
_________________________
Ride videos
'01 DR650
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #73702
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 5,754
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
The chain will be tightest when the three pivots line up in a straight line

The countershaft, the swingarm shaft and the rear axle. If you can compress your suspension to that point and verify there is still a bit of slack you'll know you have it right. Then release the suspension and see what it needs to be when the suspension is unloaded and make a mental note or take measurements


1 First of all, the chain must be placed at its maximum tension condition. This condition will occur whenever the engine and wheel sprockets are at the maximum distance from each other.

To obtain this, it is generally necessary to load the back wheel (for example placing a person on the motorcycle) until the centers of the engine sprocket, the swingarm pivot and the rear wheel axle have been positioned on the same axis. The swinging arm will be parallel to the ground.

http://www.reginachain.it/eng/use_an...how_to05.shtml
You could add this to the DR650 index, it comes up regularly.
__________________
2004 DR650: 62,400 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #73703
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i emailed acerbis about side panels for the dr650:

hi!

when are you going to carry plastics for the dr650? you could sell a lot. especially side panels! ;~) suzuki has made the same model since 1996 - you would only need one set of molds... :>)

thanks,

doug s.


here's the answer i got:

Hello,

We do not get requests for plastics for that bike. We would have to have about 1500 request in order to start the project on making plastics for that bike. I can mention it to the higher ups but you are the only request I have had for a while sorry.

Thanks,
Brian


doug s.
I'm guessing most DR owners just aren't very hard on the bikes and don't tear up the plastic. Thank God for duct tape.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #73704
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I think I payed about 40 bucks shipped for each of my xrl sidecovers with a forum member discount from another forum. Even without the discount they weren't much more. I wonder why suzuki charges so much for the DR parts?....prolly the same reason they charge so much for the busa parts.....because its a suzuki ........I'm very careful with my busa
My Kawi's always seemed fairly cheap considering as well.....
You've got this wrong. Suzuki OEM parts are generally close to what the other Japanese Big Four charge for genuine OEM parts. THEY ALL ARE EXPENSIVE ... and KTM are even higher. Ever price a stock Mahle piston for a KTM?

My guess is your XR-L side panels are after market. Right?

Thing is ... the aftermarket plastic companies typically pick the most popular and newer bikes. Mostly race motocross bikes are provided for.

ALL the Suzuki RM and RMZ series are covered by companies like Acerbis, Maier and others. The DR650 never made the Cut. Shame. Moto Cross guys fall down all the time ... they scuff up body work then buy all new plastic before selling the bike off and buying next year model. On and on.

But anybody looking around the market will see that NOW the DR650 is a hugely popular bike. More and more suppliers are jumping in and making Parts to fit the DR650.

Thing is ... plastic body work will never be a big seller on the DR as most guys don't do serious off road and don't crash much.
NO PROFIT = NO PARTS.

Pro Cycle saw this popularity coming ... and gathered together all the companies that provide DR650 support. (a major effort I would think) So now we've got ONE STOP shopping. Will be interesting to see if someone steps up in future with aftermarket plastic for the DR ... we've only waited 16 years!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #73705
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
The chain will be tightest when the three pivots line up in a straight line

The countershaft, the swingarm shaft and the rear axle. If you can compress your suspension to that point and verify there is still a bit of slack you'll know you have it right. Then release the suspension and see what it needs to be when the suspension is unloaded and make a mental note or take measurements


1 First of all, the chain must be placed at its maximum tension condition. This condition will occur whenever the engine and wheel sprockets are at the maximum distance from each other.

To obtain this, it is generally necessary to load the back wheel (for example placing a person on the motorcycle) until the centers of the engine sprocket, the swingarm pivot and the rear wheel axle have been positioned on the same axis. The swinging arm will be parallel to the ground.

http://www.reginachain.it/eng/use_an...how_to05.shtml
Excellent! Should be in DR650 Top Ten Tips!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #73706
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
You've got this wrong. Suzuki OEM parts are generally close to what the other Japanese Big Four charge for genuine OEM parts. THEY ALL ARE EXPENSIVE ... and KTM are even higher. Ever price a stock Mahle piston for a KTM?

My guess is your XR-L side panels are after market. Right?

Thing is ... the aftermarket plastic companies typically pick the most popular and newer bikes. Mostly race motocross bikes are provided for.

ALL the Suzuki RM and RMZ series are covered by companies like Acerbis, Maier and others. The DR650 never made the Cut. Shame. Moto Cross guys fall down all the time ... they scuff up body work then buy all new plastic before selling the bike off and buying next year model. On and on.

But anybody looking around the market will see that NOW the DR650 is a hugely popular bike. More and more suppliers are jumping in and making Parts to fit the DR650.

Thing is ... plastic body work will never be a big seller on the DR as most guys don't do serious off road and don't crash much.
NO PROFIT = NO PARTS.

Pro Cycle saw this popularity coming ... and gathered together all the companies that provide DR650 support. (a major effort I would think) So now we've got ONE STOP shopping. Will be interesting to see if someone steps up in future with aftermarket plastic for the DR ... we've only waited 16 years!
Nope, 1st off as far as plastic goes, the big 4 are all over in pricing, they are by NO means close to each other. Honda usually charges twice what Yamaha does for sportbike plastic. Suzuki and Kawi are usually in the middle but usually much higher then Yamaha, closer to what Honda rapes you for.

As far as DS's go, OEM side covers for a Yamaha WR 250R are only $17 from Servie Honda, thats close to a 1/4 of what Honda and Suzuki charge for XR and DR covers. So not even CLOSE to the same pricing for basically the same thing.

As far as KTM costing more, that's pure bull shit, I showed you the pricing difference between the DR and 690 for top end parts and the fact that the KTM parts were cheaper, but by all means keep MSU.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #73707
procycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
procycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Center of the DR650 universe
Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Pro Cycle saw this popularity coming ...
Actually, ProCycle made it happen...
__________________
Clarke's second law of Egodynamics: "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Jasper Fforde
www.procycle.us - Everything for your DR650 and lots of other great stuff!
DR900 Big Bore Stroker buildup
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #73708
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Excellent! Should be in DR650 Top Ten Tips!
Geesh, and I though my tip about writing my phone # on the inside of my side plates was the bomb.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #73709
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Nope, 1st off as far as plastic goes, the big 4 are all over in pricing, they are by NO means close to each other. Honda usually charges twice what Yamaha does for sportbike plastic. Suzuki and Kawi are usually in the middle but usually much higher then Yamaha, closer to what Honda rapes you for.
From my recollection this changes year to year, model to model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
As far as DS's go, OEM side covers for a Yamaha WR 250R are only $17 from Servie Honda, thats close to a 1/4 of what Honda and Suzuki charge for XR and DR covers. So not even CLOSE to the same pricing for basically the same thing.
You're right on the cheap Yam side covers. But in my experience that is a bit unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
As far as KTM costing more, that's pure bull shit, I showed you the pricing difference between the DR and 690 for top end parts and the fact that the KTM parts were cheaper, but by all means keep MSU.
Here is KTM vs. Suzuki Piston. Should we keep comparing prices on other parts?

http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemp...9cf/crankshaft

DR650 Piston kit: $113 (piston, pin, rings, clip)
KTM 690 piston kit: $328 (list) (piston, pin, rings, clip)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #73710
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
From my recollection this changes year to year, model to model.

You're right on the cheap Yam side covers. But in my experience that is a bit unusual.



Here is KTM vs. Suzuki Piston. Should we keep comparing prices on other parts?

http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemp...9cf/crankshaft

DR650 Piston kit: $113 (piston, pin, rings, clip)
KTM 690 piston kit: $328 (list) (piston, pin, rings, clip)
LOL, sure show the discounted price for one compared to list pricing. I paid $200 for my piston kit. You can look back at the post where I showed you the valve train was almost $100 cheaper then the DR's also, so sure we can keep going. How many times do I have to show you for the Kool-Aid drinker you are?
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014