Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Yes, I will move along. But in the picture you posted, the pegs are obviously rearset, they are behind the riders knees. Pegs that are straight down from the riders knees are standard, pegs that are out in front of the riders knees are forward. I also don't see any bend in the riders elbows. It's nowhere near as bad as some bikes, but I would still go for the Versys. You'll notice I stated that if the OP liked the riding position of the ER-6N, it is a good bike, as is the Ninja. But they are not for everybody.

The standard of 1955 isn't the standard of today. That bike is the most standard, neutral machine I think I've ever seen. It should define the word.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #17
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Yes, I will move along. But in the picture you posted, the pegs are obviously rearset, they are behind the riders knees. Pegs that are straight down from the riders knees are standard, pegs that are out in front of the riders knees are forward. I also don't see any bend in the riders elbows. It's nowhere near as bad as some bikes, but I would still go for the Versys. You'll notice I stated that if the OP liked the riding position of the ER-6N, it is a good bike, as is the Ninja. But they are not for everybody.
Just FYI, the seat to peg relationship on the Versys is identical to the ER-6n/Ninja 650, and the bar to seat postion is almost identical. I ride a Versys, and would be just as comfy on the Ninja. The OP's issue with the Versys is either looks or seat height. Neither has a thing to do with whether or not the bike has "rearsets".
Old 02-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Just FYI, the seat to peg relationship on the Versys is identical to the ER-6n/Ninja 650, and the bar to seat postion is almost identical.
From my experience with both bikes (1st gen Ninja 650R, 2nd gen Versys) neither is true. www.cycle-ergo.com agrees. I don't know if later models of the Ninja 650R are more upright and less cramped at the leg, but I doubt the ergos have relaxed as much as the Versys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
I ride a Versys, and would be just as comfy on the Ninja.
I loved the Ninja, and I traveled on it more than I have on my Versys. But the Versys is much more comfortable.

I do think the Ninja is well suited for distance though. If someone has comfort issues with it they should be easily fixable. Risers, lower pegs, new seat, etc. I didn't do any of those. But a new seat would have been welcome on at least one of my trips.

The current US model of the Ninja 650R doesn't seem to have provisions for mounting side cases. I think you have to drill out or replace plastic tail pieces to do it. If you want luggage you might check and make sure your model supports it.

Deciding between the ER6N or F for long distance, I'd expect better wind protection from the F, but I'd expect the N to be less affected by cross winds. I haven't ridden the N though. I'm sure either would work.

davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #19
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,112
I've just bought a 2009 ER6n in sunny Hong Kong. Think it will be a great urban scoot and I would be interested in feedback on hard luggage options for the bike.

Mongol Rally 2014: www.teamvanvan.com
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925019
Bongolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #20
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongolia View Post
I've just bought a 2009 ER6n in sunny Hong Kong. Think it will be a great urban scoot and I would be interested in feedback on hard luggage options for the bike.
Top case or side cases or both? Here's an idea of what is available in 'merica, you probably have more options there.

The Givi V35 sidecases on the Givi racks are just barely wider than the stock bars on the ER-6F, so you can still split lanes, in theory. Givi makes you mount them to the topcase rack - if you'd rather not run a topcase, SW-Motech make racks for just the sidecases.

in the pic they look wider, but they are just closer to the camera.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
kawi_girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Well I can't resist chiming in here, I love my 650r and think that for me it's a great touring machine. Comfortable, economical and reliable. Biggest trip was over 7000km, and I've done 4 big trips and many weekend trips as well. If you like the ergonomics of the bike then throw on some cases and you're good to go. There are many bikes out there that you can tour with (well, technically, just about anything goes. I don't think that touring is only for a certain class of bike.) For myself, I just think that the power is enough, the weight is right (as in, not too heavy!) and who can say no to that Kawi green? ( well, okay, not everyone is going to agree on that point)

I use Givi hard cases (sides and top case) plus a tank bag, and sometimes a wolfman duffle on the passenger seat. Still handles great with all that stuff.

I could ride forever. Well, except for fill ups I guess, which you can comfortably do every 250km. And that doesn't matter if you've been putzing through construction or flying along the super slab at 130km/h+

Previous Ride: 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500ex

kawi_girl screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 07:19 AM
kawi_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #22
Bongolia
stop acting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Top case or side cases or both? Here's an idea of what is available in 'merica, you probably have more options there.

The Givi V35 sidecases on the Givi racks are just barely wider than the stock bars on the ER-6F, so you can still split lanes, in theory. Givi makes you mount them to the topcase rack - if you'd rather not run a topcase, SW-Motech make racks for just the sidecases.

in the pic they look wider, but they are just closer to the camera.
Thanks GB.

Been looking at the Givi 55 top case and the 35 panniers, silly prices in the UK so will see if I can source them here.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #23
Bongolia
stop acting

Quote:
Thanks GB.

Been looking at the Givi 55 top case and the 35 panniers, silly prices in the UK so will see if I can source them here.
Found a Givi dealer in Kowloon, looks like I can order the V35 panniers and a fair bit cheaper than the UK. GB can you get a helmet in the V35?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #24
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,436
Quote:
Found a Givi dealer in Kowloon, looks like I can order the V35 panniers and a fair bit cheaper than the UK. GB can you get a helmet in the V35?
Depends on the helmet. My Nolan N102 wouldn't fit, but it is a modular with a really big shell for a size M. I haven't tried with my newer N90. I've heard many people claim they can fit a full face, but they either know some magic trick as to how to fit it properly or have a helmet that is a bit smaller than the modular ones I wear.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #25
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
I cant get my shoei XR1100 inside.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #26
erda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Fully loaded, kawi_girl has no troubles keeping up to my Bandit. Not that kind of loaded, loaded for touring!

ER6f aka Ninja 650r is a really good choice. I think one advantage over the 'n' is that you get a bit extra protection from wind/weather.

Previous rides: 2009 V-Strom 650SEA; 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500ex
erda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #27
Bongolia
stop acting

Quote:
Originally Posted by erda View Post
Fully loaded, kawi_girl has no troubles keeping up to my Bandit. Not that kind of loaded, loaded for touring!

ER6f aka Ninja 650r is a really good choice. I think one advantage over the 'n' is that you get a bit extra protection from wind/weather.
I'd agree. The ER6-N is more an urban or short haul bike. Loads of fun though.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #28
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelsavage View Post
Surfing online, the reviews of Kawasaki's ER-6 n or f are all exceptionally positive and quite favorable. The ER is somewhat similar to the Ninja, with an upright seating position. I just had a F650GS - great technology but torture chambre for ass, back and neck... Anyone knows anything about the ER-6 and long distance touring? Oh, no, not the Versy. The ER-6.
I didn't like the protection for the upper body on my ER6F/Ninja, changed
the windscreen, it got better but still very "loud". Wish I had the naked.

The seat on the 06-08 isn't all that good, but I could do as much as the
tank would last, and after a stretch it was good again (I used to wear
cycling shorts, that helped a lot).

I would imagine the 650GS has a better seat then the ER6 I'm afraid.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 AM   #29
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,798
Quote:
If you like the low bar/rearset peg sportbike riding position it should be fine. I would rather have the Versys.
The ER6n/F (or 650R) are nothing like that.

Forward lean of only 14 per bike ergo site, which is virtually nothing.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote