ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (<1000cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 478
mutt2jeff,

I have the medium height aero screen and the deflectors on the fairing. Big improvement over the QEM 990 stock and tour screens. Testing the Aero setup I extended the height with a clamp on shield extender and found that increasing the height did cut down buffeting. I don't run with the extension as the clamp is in my line of sight.

I mention this to provide data for your windshield quest. Height is a factor in decreasing buffeting. At least with the Areo and stock. Yea I know that we want a screen designed lower for off road and aesthetics. Thus the design needs to get rid of the buffeting but not be too wide or to tall. Your task is difficult.

I tried to make cardboard mock ups and ride to test but gave up. If for some reason I decided to tackle the screen buffeting problem I would get a wind tunnel, a bunch of Plexiglas and a glue gun. Then cut things up and glue together mock ups to test all the various configurations.

Lots of folks have tried to get a better screen and seems that the Aero helps considerably but is far from perfection. I use it because I don’t like the buffeting and live with a somewhat goofy screen. Good luck to your efforts and I will be watching your progress. If you get it right I am a customer.
KJ

knobbyjoe screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 10:55 AM Reason: baad speler
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
mutt2jeff OP
Keep firing assholes!

Oddometer: 972
Ok, back in action. I got mega sick on Wednesday night, and laid around all day Thursday recovering, so out the door goes my schedule!

Anyways, today I got up long enough to get some work done. First thing first, lets get the new windscreen out of the splash. This involves the use of wedges, and a mallet if things are really stuck

Pops right out, next up we take it over to the band saw to cut off the excess.

Next up, sanding! Just hand sanding to remove loose fibers and prep the surface. I am not worried about removing the tape lines or anything at this point, that will come during the next step.

Now that it is all cleaned up, it is time to start modifying the part to to what I envision, so that we can make an actual mold off it. I broke out the Bondo to begin work, only to discover that it had all dried up, doh! So, I called it a day, still not feeling great.

The only thing Homeopathy cures is dehydration.
mutt2jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #18
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,624
You may want to consider a side deflector option as well . . . similar to the Madstad set up . . . Or, a screen that is wider at the bottom.

'14 Wee2, Adventure Style, for the "Real World"
'15 Versys 650 LT, (on order) for the "Now World"

mcmann screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 03:47 PM
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #19
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,312
The Madstad is hideous though. I noticed with my bike that having the mirror relocation bracket seemed to stop some of the buffeting. Maybe its the symmetry ?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 979
Just what the doctor ordered

The way you describe your finished product it is exactly what I have been looking for - always had the intent of doing what you are now - even have a spare screen from which to make a mold, but no time to follow up. Do me a favor and consider selling a fibreglass version - I like carbon fiber but not enough to justify the extra trouble and expense, and it usually looks bad after a few years of sunlight anyway. Also a version without the headlight hole, to allow fitting of twin (or triple in a triangle pattern) projectors.
Oh, I am giving away all my brilliant ideas!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #21
mutt2jeff OP
Keep firing assholes!

Oddometer: 972
Sorry guys, I have been a bum. I am sure we all know how busy life can get sometime . I have been busy building a new shop with a friend, planning vacations, and in general being a layabout. I am headed out to Baja early Saturday morning to spend a week playing, but when I get back, I am gonna put a wrap on the mold!

The only thing Homeopathy cures is dehydration.
mutt2jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #22
Central Cali Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutt2jeff View Post
Sorry guys, I have been a bum. I am sure we all know how busy life can get sometime . I have been busy building a new shop with a friend, planning vacations, and in general being a layabout. I am headed out to Baja early Saturday morning to spend a week playing, but when I get back, I am gonna put a wrap on the mold!
No hurry.. We all understand...
2006 Suzuki SV1000S for wifey Sold !
1997 KLR650 For sale SOLD !!
Central Cali Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #23
rade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Carbon fiber Rally windscreen

What about this one?

Or this one Rally way? Comming soon :-)

rade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #24
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 979
Not for me

I prefer the look of the TT fairing with the lip turned out at the top. Just personal preference.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #25
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by rade View Post
What about this one?

Or this one Rally way? Comming soon :-)

Looks very good. Have you considered making it without the headlight insert for custom headlight applications?
Combination 690/950 screen???
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #26
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

If you tilt the shield back at the same angle as the base of the OEM screen . . . you will reduce buffeting significantly. Also, consider using the top cowling mount bolts to widen the base of your new shield . . . for more rider comfort etc.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #27
DeepInIt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
That's the perfect type of shield, air underneath, wider, adjustable. I would use knurls instead of bolts. Is that your design or is on the market?
DeepInIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #28
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepInIt View Post
That's the perfect type of shield, air underneath, wider, adjustable. I would use knurls instead of bolts. Is that your design or is on the market?
Add-on screen:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861059

For shield angle comparison . . . 1190A:

mcmann screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 05:58 AM
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #29
Korruptio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
I noticed with my bike that having the mirror relocation bracket seemed to stop some of the buffeting. Maybe its the symmetry ?
Correct. Testing for this is easy: take off the mirrors and ride the bike, put back one mirror and ride the bike, put back both mirrors and ride the bike.

Original mirrors are causing the bad buffeting and wind banging to the helmet. Atleast for me (~185cm tall rider). I noticed it by accident when mirror got broken and it was more pleasant to ride than with both mirrors... Now I'm in process of replacing the original mirrors with something else. Probably short KTM foldable mirrors, they're half of the price of original KTM Adventure mirrors anyway so its not a difficult choice.
Korruptio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #30
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korruptio View Post
Correct. Testing for this is easy: take off the mirrors and ride the bike, put back one mirror and ride the bike, put back both mirrors and ride the bike.

Original mirrors are causing the bad buffeting and wind banging to the helmet. Atleast for me (~185cm tall rider). I noticed it by accident when mirror got broken and it was more pleasant to ride than with both mirrors... Now I'm in process of replacing the original mirrors with something else. Probably short KTM foldable mirrors, they're half of the price of original KTM Adventure mirrors anyway so its not a difficult choice.
The same used to be true for the Suzuki Burgman 400. Drive that thing down a freeway stock and the windscreen would just bend and twist like crazy and it would buffet a helmet to the point that you could not see. The solution was pretty simple -- move the mirrors closer to the windscreen by just spinning them on their mounts 180 degrees.

OK, don't ask me how I know all this.
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote