Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #16
Moto North OP
Ontario ADV Rider

Oddometer: 161
Yea, thanks for posting your experiences with the Sonic. Good to hear you still have it.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
T.E.Lawrence
Moto North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
They come up from time to time for around the $1,200 mark for an average runner. The motor is worth more than that alone. The last couple I've seen were bought by Aussies and shipped home. So they usually end up owing around $2,500 - 3,000

A few of the mint ones have been asking high dollars but don't sell.

I have heard of and seen brand new rollers minus motors turn up for sale on the flat Trackers website as back in the day they bought them for the motors. The last one I saw was asking around $700 but motors are hard to find and not cheap.

I own a fairly original unmolested but patina'd one downunder and paid handsomely for it, as they rarely come up for sale here.

Fairly rare and collectible bike, I was lucky, the day I decided that I wanted one I picked up a bike trader mag and there was one for sale.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #18
Glenc44
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Glenc44

This may be a moment of weakness for me. I have an 82 Can-Am Sonic 500. It has been my only off road bike for around 20 years. I also have a complete disassembled roller for spare parts.I have 8 hours on a complete engine rebuild with the good parts. This is not an offer to sell but could turn into that so lets talk.
Glenc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #19
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,494
I have both a Canadian twin shocker and an English built Mono. 82 and 83 respectively.

Here's the 82 in Yamaha - Ducati sandwich.

And the '83 during refurbishment back in the mid-90's.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,176
Can Am Memories

I raced MX back in the 80's. 250's and 500's Last couple of bikes were Husky's. I always thought the Can Am's were cool bikes. Great motors.
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '76 Husky 360WR/CR,
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #21
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
I have both a Canadian twin shocker and an English built Mono. 82 and 83 respectively.

Here's the 82 in Yamaha - Ducati sandwich.

And the '83 during refurbishment back in the mid-90's.
Have any more photos of the SR500?? Looks cool all red.
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #22
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
There is currently an '86 Sonic on the Denver Craigslist that the guy thinks is worth more than it is, and the 'almost new and minty' '82 Sonic which has been for sale for years and is in Chicago is currently on eBay again.

I've seen bidding on the '82 get up around $10K in the past and not meet reserve....just sayin.

I'd provide links but depending on the mood of the mod a post can get nuked for including them.
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
jphii
OK, now what?

Oddometer: 1,834
How many times has that '82 been on ebay? You'd think he would lower the reserve....

jphii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #24
Moto North OP
Ontario ADV Rider

Sonic on Ebay

Yea, seen that minty Sonic on ebay several times. Cool bike and amaizing condition but still doesn't warrant the insane price he's asking. He's been trying to sell it for a couple of years so I guess he's in no rush and can aford to sit on it indefinitely.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
T.E.Lawrence
Old 12-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Have any more photos of the SR500?? Looks cool all red.

It did look pretty good this way, but , it's not red , it's orange. I got it wrecked, though the paint was O.K. and put it back in comission.
I sold it to a friend who rode it on occaision , but , didn't take very good care of it. It ended up outside for about 3 years, and then he passed. His widow asked if I wanted to buy it back and by then it was rusty and stuck. I passed saying when they got it I had everything working and shiny.
She called before moving out of state and said it was mine to pick up. When my son turned 16 he wanted a bike . I gave it to him and together we got it functional again. Now it has a 540 kit and White Brothers pipe.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #26
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

It did look pretty good this way, but , it's not red , it's orange. I got it wrecked, though the paint was O.K. and put it back in comission.
I sold it to a friend who rode it on occaision , but , didn't take very good care of it. It ended up outside for about 3 years, and then he passed. His widow asked if I wanted to buy it back and by then it was rusty and stuck. I passed saying when they got it I had everything working and shiny.
She called before moving out of state and said it was mine to pick up. When my son turned 16 he wanted a bike . I gave it to him and together we got it functional again. Now it has a 540 kit and White Brothers pipe.
Nice upgrades! Orange is great color for the sr500. Great that you got it back up, working any shiny!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #27
jpmierz
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto North View Post
Hey Guys,
Kind of a long shot here but looking for any leads (in North America) if you or somebody you know has a Can Am Sonic 500 (enduro model) that they may want to sell. Not really looking to do a complete resto so would prefer something in fairly decent shape and mostly all there. Any info would really be apreciated.
I have one on ebay right now 2/12/13 take a look listing # 321072118610 put that in the search box hit enter
jpmierz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #28
jpmierz
n00b

Oddometer: 2
82 sonic 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto North View Post
Hey Guys,
Kind of a long shot here but looking for any leads (in North America) if you or somebody you know has a Can Am Sonic 500 (enduro model) that they may want to sell. Not really looking to do a complete resto so would prefer something in fairly decent shape and mostly all there. Any info would really be apreciated.
there is one on ebay right now 4/20/13 item # 321109788787 go look at it to see it is something you want
jpmierz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #29
Moto North OP
Ontario ADV Rider

Found one!

Well I finally found one and made a deal on it. Its actually in better shape and comes with more spare parts than the one currently on Ebay and I got it for a bit cheaper. Just waiting to have it shipped home. Just in time for spring. Thanks for all you help guys. I'll post a few picks in the thumper section when I get it home.

T.E.Lawrence
Old 04-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #30
creaky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
One of my buddies had a Sonic 500 quite a few years ago. Went like hell and kept going because it wouldn't stop unless you ran into something.

"Once you go over the hill, you start picking up speed!"
creaky is offline   Reply With Quote