Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #31
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,788
Any update on this rig a couple of months down the road?

My Laser ProDuro is ready for the bone yard now... Beat it to bits after 10 years. :-(
Old 10-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #32
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Here's a shot of the LeoVince on my KLR.

A vast improvement in sound over stock, for sure. Looks OK, too, I think.
The quiet insert w/spark arrestor is noisier than stock, but not in an obnoxious way. Sounds more like a motorcycle.

Skip the loud insert unless you want a headache!

NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #33
CA Stu
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDTransplant

The quiet insert w/spark arrestor is noisier than stock, but not in an obnoxious way. Sounds more like a motorcycle.

Looks great!

How many miles have you got on the exhaust?

Have you had to repack it yet?

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 10-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #34
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
Looks great!

How many miles have you got on the exhaust?

Have you had to repack it yet?

Thanks
CA Stu
Yeah, I'm really interested in the repacking question. LV indicates 50 hours for small displacement bikes and more frequently for large displacement singles. If that's true that would be pretty annoying.

http://www.leovinceusa.com/main/support/X3-REFIT.pdf

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #35
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
OK....call me a traitor.....just sold my KLR....

I had only about 600 miles on the LeoVince, so I can't really say about repacking. There IS packing in the muffler body- evident when I changed the inserts/spark arrestor, etc.

Others I know have said it goes much longer than stated without needing repacking.

Based on that statement hopefully being true, and the fact that the spark arrestor is held in by three allen head bolts rather than just one like some other manufacturers, and that you can use the spark arrestor with either insert, were the reasons that prompted me to go with LeoVince vs others.

It really is awfully loud with the 'loud' insert, though. Very reasonable with the quiet insert, I think it sounded nice.
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #36
firebug24k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Just installed mine today - love it!

I left the default insert installed, it's a long pipe with about 1.5" that sticks out past the baffle plate. There's another insert that is the same length as it sticks into the muffler, but shorter (about .5") that sticks out past the plate, allowing for a spark arrester to be installed. Can anyone confirm I installed the "quietest" configuration? I'm sure shorter is louder, but I don't know what to make of the other one that lets me put in the spark arrester. Instructions BTW are terrible, I installed it just by pushing and poking and tightening bolts until it looked "right" - throw out the included instructions - there's not even a photo of how it's supposed to line up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post

firebug24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #37
foxj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Leo Vince exhaust

Just purchased a Leo Vince exhaust for my 02 KLR 650. Previous posters are right about the lost directions but the exhaust itself looks great. Have a couple of questions about the installation. First do you need to put anti-seize on any part of the slip on unit during installation such as betwee the silencer and the the included mid pipe and/or between the mid pipe and the header pipe? Second the LV comes with two hanger brackets. Not sure where to attach them on the KLR wi the included long bolts and washers & nuts. Looks like you could use the rear threaded exhaust mount on the KLR. Not sure where the second hanger bracket would mount. Any help,appreciated.

Foxy
foxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #38
CA Stu
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxj View Post
Just purchased a Leo Vince exhaust for my 02 KLR 650. Previous posters are right about the lost directions but the exhaust itself looks great. Have a couple of questions about the installation. First do you need to put anti-seize on any part of the slip on unit during installation such as betwee the silencer and the the included mid pipe and/or between the mid pipe and the header pipe? Second the LV comes with two hanger brackets. Not sure where to attach them on the KLR wi the included long bolts and washers & nuts. Looks like you could use the rear threaded exhaust mount on the KLR. Not sure where the second hanger bracket would mount. Any help,appreciated.

Foxy
Anti seize on the threads of the bolts that hold the end cap on the back of the can. I reckon anti-seize is for threads you may want to take apart later*, not for slip-on fittings.

I'll look at my bike when I get home and post up where the bolts go...

A quick Google found this:
"*Important Technical Note 02/27/2012: Manny Hauswirth, US Technical Manager for LeoVince USA reports: "The KLR slip-on uses one of our Enduro style mufflers with a mechanical baffle and does not require repacking. It is not advisable to disassemble this silencer."

Sweet!

*I just took off the end cap to add the spark arrestor screen.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #39
CA Stu
Thanks

Long bolt goes in the back, spacer outboard of frame tab, short bolt and other clamp goes in the front mount tab.... Disclaimer, I trimmed my rear fender with a razor knife to make it look factory... But! It does look great, sound great, and fit well.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #40
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,121
.. from the Happy Trails Site ..

SKU LV3549
NEW for the KLR650!
The founders of LeoVince have been making off-road exhaust systems since 1954. LeoVince has pushed the industry forward with new processes and materials but the goals of performance remain much the same.

Today all of LeoVince's latest X3 exhaust systems provide smooth power that's easy to put to the ground with a sound level at 94dB or below. LeoVince Enduro pipes are not just repurposed MX pipes. They are model specific tuned to give smooth broad power range needed on the toughest trails.

Every X3 exhaust system comes with a USFS approved spark arrestor, 50 hour cross composite packing*, sound inserts when needed, even a wash plug and spring puller. Just another way LeoVince is always, on your side.

- Designed to work with stock jetting
- Attaches to stock exhaust header
- Aluminum silencer with stainless connector pipe
- U.S.F.S. approved spark arrestor with 94dB high flow insert
- Weight: 12.1 lbs. (Stock is 12 lbs.)

*Important Technical Note 02/27/2012: Manny Hauswirth, US Technical Manager for LeoVince USA reports: "The KLR slip-on uses one of our Enduro style mufflers with a mechanical baffle and does not require repacking. It is not advisable to disassemble this silencer."
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote