Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #166
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
Billy Top and even Little Snowbird are no places to be brake-less - I feel for you. Glad to see you made it home ok.

Get her back together and come back out so I can show you Huffman Creek. 7 miles up, first gear and bouncing the whole way
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #167
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #168
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Wow sweet bike reverend bill,I think the military would be jealous of that bike.lol.the bottom tubes reminds me of a fighter jet ready for take off.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #169
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,123
Been messing around .. here's a couple of shots from a few months ago ..

.. down by the Mayo River ..

.. took a little "leave" from the web and the sites, but have been lurking around the ADV Rider Site .. will have to put up some updates and share a little Thanksgiving Day adventure in another post/update ..

Still Loving my '06 .. she's my daily ride to and from work and about everywhere else I go unless I am forced to share some family time in the cage (movies, dinner, family outings, etc .. lol .. ) .. I have not taken off the 14T front sprocket since the Nantahala Rally in September .. I must say that for around town and short hops to Greensboro and back it's about perfect for me .. better than the 15T front (stock) even .. fuel mileage suffered minimally (like 43mpg instead of 48mpg) ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #170
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Boxy but good ..

Got a little late Christmas present today .. much more user-friendly than my previous setup .. still need to work on if I will add on the extra QuikFists or not ..

.. this thing is huge .. and room for lots of stickers .. heh heh ..
Old 01-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #171
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Thanksgiving Day Adventure ..

I didn't post these up here at the time .. but I got to have a little fun on the way to the in-laws for Thanksgiving lunch .. which turned into Thanksgiving dinner .. all-in-all though, a LOT to be thankful for ..

.. doing about (cough) 70mph and got the "death wobble" from hell .. first thought was "Well Lord, this is it, and it's gonna hurt" .. then after getting down to about 45mph I thought "I may break bones, but I should live if the idiot behind me does not run me over" ..

.. managed to get off the highway .. legs would not work to well so when I could not get the side stand down, so I just let the bike fall over and went and sat down on the guardrail for a couple minutes .. called the wife to let her know I was going to be late because the back tire went flat ..

.. never had one just let go all of the sudden .. I have had them start to lose air and get sloppy with enough warning to let you safely exit the road .. lost air on trails .. but never had one just let go suddenly on the highway at 70mph .. really thought I had bought it ..

.. so I got to do this for a couple hours ..

.. opened up the tire and found the tube had "ripped" about 24" around the tire leaving a flap .. wierd .. was very careful not to tear it while taking it out .. so it apparently suffered a catastrophic failure ..

.. really glad I haul all the crap around to fix stuff like this .. here's the new IX Heavy Duty IRC tube getting aired up before putting the whole thing back on ..

.. got to meet some neighbors .. made some new friends .. was really amazing how many folks stopped to make sure I was okay and had the tools to repair the bike .. even met a young man who stopped to offer me his tools and whatever I needed from his house to fix the bike .. turns out he's a fellow area rider and wanted to make sure I was good to go ..

.. yeah .. you get some blessings in the oddest places sometimes .. and under the most unusual circumstances ..

Y'all have a Blessed, and Safe, 2013 ..
Old 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #172
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post

.. got to meet some neighbors .. made some new friends .. was really amazing how many folks stopped to make sure I was okay and had the tools to repair the bike .. even met a young man who stopped to offer me his tools and whatever I needed from his house to fix the bike .. turns out he's a fellow area rider and wanted to make sure I was good to go ..

.. yeah .. you get some blessings in the oddest places sometimes .. and under the most unusual circumstances ..

Cool

Glad it was the rear that let go
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #173
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,354
Reverend,
You indeed do have a lot to be thankful for. Good to see He saw you through to safety on this one.

That's the strangest tube failure I've ever seen.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #174
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Just curious if you've ever weighed the bike with all the "normal" stuff you haul around. That's about the most battle ready KLR I've seen. I've got mine on the Minamalist diet plan :-)
Jake Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #175
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Updates and Replies ..

Thanks Guys .. I'm (still) very thankful for the reminder on Thanksgiving day .. and I would be lying if I said I wasn't thankful for my survival too ..

.. I did look at the tube later on .. it's not one I normally use, it was a "standard" tube with no information remaining on it .. it also was one that I re-used after checking to make sure it had no prior repairs and I should not have put it into service not having known it's history .. it came with a tire/rim set I bought and I had it around for a spare .. shame on me ..

Jake .. I have not weighed the bike .. I'll have to make a point of going by the landfill and getting them to weigh it for me .. I'm estimating that it weighs in now around 600 lbs wet with all the gear and bolt-ons that she carries .. and with my fanny and gear close to 950-1000lbs full loaded for a camping trip .. I will have to check that though .. now I am really curious ..

I had another little adventure today .. without even leaving the front yard .. today dawned with the promise of 70-degree weather and no rain .. sweet .. time for a quick oil change and filters check and off for a day of riding, maybe even chase a few of the local tag games ..

.. and then .. lol .. out came the oil plug .. minus a critical part .. the threads ..

.. first time ever an "easy out" actually was .. mostly .. but I did get the threads to back out without tearing anything up .. thankfully I had a new low-profile one I had already purchased from Eagle Mike's .. so that's in place now with little pain and only a mild heart attack .. yeesh ..

.. also went ahead and added some bling .. got it off eBay ..

.. and added a few stickers to the new box .. I'll have to post (take) some pics later and add them then .. lol ..
Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #176
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

.. a little fun with some of my refund ..

Well .. did little shopping .. heh heh .. and the packages are starting to arrive ..

1. Picked up a "used" (barely) Moto-Mule Trailer, it's here, ready to go into service .. still trying to order the hardware kit to hook it to my "06 .. (ADVRider Asylum) ..
2. Ordered the Klopin fuel mount and top deck for the trailer .. (thanks Moto-Mule) ..
3. Ordered a Leo-Vince silencer .. (Happy Trails) ..
4. Stainless Power Bomb Header .. (Happy Trails)
5. Assorted gaskets for new silencer .. maybe a tool or two .. (Procycle) ..
6. New set of Kendas .. (eBay) ..
7. Sheep skin for the saddle .. (Happy Trails) ..
8. Picked up a Sargent saddle a few months ago .. still need to install it .. (ADVRider Asylum) ..

.. pictures to follow ..
Old 03-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #177
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Got a little time to start bolting on some new goodies ..

I like the Leo Vince .. completely different sound and a solid piece of work .. put in the quiet insert and spark arrestor in mine ..

.. and the Power Bomb Header .. it's interesting .. but I have a conflict with the SW Motech Crash Bars .. so something is going to have to be done soon before the bars rub a hole in the header ..

.. with the Header and the Leo Vince together, along with some mild carb work done earlier, I'd say she gained about 50 real HP on the Butt Dyno .. LOL .. NOT ! ! ! .. I did notice no stagger on take off .. better performance up hills (keep in mind my poor KLR hauls a TON of gear and me too) .. so all-in-all a worthwhile Farkle session with some noted performance increases .. though I never expected my KLR Toxic-Green Zombie Hunter to set any speed or performance records ..

.. I'll snap some pics of the trailer too .. got the hardware and installed all that too ..

RevBill screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 08:54 AM
Old 03-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #178
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Looks like your exhaust cleared the fender? I had to trim mine

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #179
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston View Post
Looks like your exhaust cleared the fender? I had to trim mine
.. nope .. mine didn't clear .. but it's not hitting a very large area .. I just pushed it out of the way when installing .. I'll be trimming it down before it gets ugly and melts all over the silencer ..
Old 06-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #180
sdyer
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
I like the Leo Vince .. completely different sound and a solid piece of work .. put in the quiet insert and spark arrestor in mine ..

.. and the Power Bomb Header .. it's interesting .. but I have a conflict with the SW Motech Crash Bars .. so something is going to have to be done soon before the bars rub a hole in the header ..

.. with the Header and the Leo Vince together, along with some mild carb work done earlier, I'd say she gained about 50 real HP on the Butt Dyno .. LOL .. NOT ! ! ! .. I did notice no stagger on take off .. better performance up hills (keep in mind my poor KLR hauls a TON of gear and me too) .. so all-in-all a worthwhile Farkle session with some noted performance increases .. though I never expected my KLR Toxic-Green Zombie Hunter to set any speed or performance records ..

.. I'll snap some pics of the trailer too .. got the hardware and installed all that too ..
Hey RevBill. I just mounted my FMF powerbomb header with the Leo Vince X-3 and cannot get the Leo Vince mid-pipe to clear the rear tire when the suspension is compressed. Did you have any trouble with fitment of the two different manufactures exhaust systems? By the way I like your bike and the way you have it lightly farkled.
sdyer is offline   Reply With Quote