Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly_moose View Post
Thanks it's not the Bike...
I appreciate your help. But i have already googled about the bike...
I was just looking for a more indepth look than what is posted on the search engines.
maybe some owners feed back of things they like and dislike about it.
But you already knew that since you know i'm lazy. and thanks for not having anything else better to do than reply to my post you dumb ass
There is a sticky thread at the top of Thumpers forum called "Bike Specific Index Thread". Open that and you'll find an RFS Index Thread which contains a selection of previous posts from Advrider on your bike. The "525 as an adventure bike" thread contains tons of information. Use the "search this thread" function to search for topics within it. As already wsuggested, the RFS forum at KTMTalk is the best source of information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenFant View Post
Oshiat,
Can you elaborate on "decent" pair of wrap around radiator guards? I too picked up title for new to me 05 450EXC, and just removed tank. They are on there rather flimsily. Plenty of "billet", and ton's of other variations, Do any of them provide real protection to rad's? Once price gets close to $100, I can easily fab much more substantial guards WITH bracing.
The Bullet Proof Designs guards are the strongest. Some people claim their design (which replaces the stock plastic louvres) reduces airflow. I've never noticed but if you are concerned you may be better off with one of the tubular designs from say Enduro Engineering, of course they only protect against a side impact. Go read up over at ktmtalk, must be hundreds of threads there on this topic, might need a six pack
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
The biggest and most important thing (besides oil change, making sure it's solid off the get go so there are no engine issues) is getting the suspension set up correctly for you. Not too much or too little sag for you at rider weight. I had to respring my bike front and rear for my weight, which I did myself only because the suspension was already fully gone through. Stock is good but aftermarket/ custom calving goes a long way. Suspension makes you ride better, have less fatigue, etc etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, hence the typos...

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #18
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
It is more honorable ( and less lazy ) to search for yourself rather than ask to be spoon-fed by
people who probably have better things to do than do your homework for you.

Click on the link below and you will be able to learn virtually everything you could
ever possibly want or need to know about the bike you just bought. There are 36,600
search results. That ought to keep you busy for a few hours.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...pe=&as_rights=

i always gotta laugh when somebody who's kinda new posts something on these forums, and then some dork comes back like that!.... whatta moron, like if you got more posts yer' really somebody.... i read alotta bike forums, and that's pretty much everywhere.... and the funniest part is that alot of the info here and elsewhere is generally pretty bad, anyways....

the RFS motor you got is a beautiful thing though.... there's some good info on KTMTalk about jetting, really makes a difference when you get it right, just takes some time and patience.... i think w/your bike, it's just take off the tank, loosen the clamps, and then you can swivel the carb to get at the top(needle), and the bottom(pilot and main). it is w/my '06... have fun!....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #19
brinboise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Congrats, I bought an '07 new and have never regretted it-it has been bulletproof. I agree with the other posters about KTMTALK forums.....a huge amount of info there.
A couple of things I did right away was the cannistorectomy (look for it, AKA de-smog) a JD kit, a larger Clarke tank. The beast was a little twitchy on gravel but a Scott dampener took care of that. Important to set your sag-I couldn't get mine to co-operate and ended up re-valving and re-springing for my weight. A great bike!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
chilly_moose OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Awesome... Thank you everybody for the great tips and suggestions. Looks like i gotta send the wife to the spa for the day. Tell grandma to watch the kids. Grab a six pack and start educating my self on this bike and start taking notes. Thanks again every one. Very helpful.
chilly_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #21
davesupreme
grand poobah

yeah, settin' the rear sag is a big deal... they're sprung for like little guys, i just put a 10.0 spring on mine, and it's still not enough, i'm over 210 w/out my gear on, so.... yer' probably supposed to have like 95-105mm of rider sag, and 35mm of static.... gettin' it right is real important, correct geometry so it turns...... check out yer' manual, or better yet order a CD factory repair manual, which will tell you alotta stuff....
Old 02-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #22
400psi
Cropdusting

Oddometer: 425
For some great suspension advice, google Bruces suspension. He has very informative right ups on setting your suspension and is available to discuss. He is an advocate for the straight rate vs progressive springs though. He will be able to tell you what preload to begin with. As I mentioned earlier this is very important on 04's(and I believe 03's) as these shocks included a top out spring internally. If too much preload is set, this doesn't allow this to function correctly. Getting the correct spring is important.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
davesupreme
grand poobah

+1... what he said!....

that 'bruce's suspension' site has got the best info that i've seen about KTM suspension.... the guy even answered a question for me.... that @100 mm rider/35mm static sag is a big dealio..... lotta bad info out there/here....
Old 02-14-2013, 04:38 AM   #24
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
yeah, settin' the rear sag is a big deal... they're sprung for like little guys, i just put a 10.0 spring on mine, and it's still not enough, i'm over 210 w/out my gear on, so.... yer' probably supposed to have like 95-105mm of rider sag, and 35mm of static.... gettin' it right is real important, correct geometry so it turns...... check out yer' manual, or better yet order a CD factory repair manual, which will tell you alotta stuff....
Most like 115-117 on RFS bikes
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #25
davesupreme
grand poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
Most like 115-117 on RFS bikes
interesting.... i keep trying to pimp everybody for their sag numbers, so.... my manual sez between 95-105 for the '06 models, with 35mm of static.....