DL650 2,914 63.89%
DL1000 1,584 34.73%
Both DL650 & DL1000 66 1.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4561. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #2056
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I have been flipping back and forth between the 650 and 1000 but I've set my eye on a 2012 Vee adventure model... Maybe by the end of the month ;)
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #2057
Maritime Mike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill View Post
On Saturday, I picked-up a 2012 650 Adventure. I wish it were a little warmer here.

The excitement will keep you warm, congrats!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111267255@N07/
Maritime Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #2058
Moto-Kafe
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 492
Vstrom Owners Rally...........

Vstrom Rally, Iron Horse Campground, North Carolina............May 16-19, 2013. A great place to see lots of Vstroms, farkles and riding styles...........check out this link:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861229

Or go on Stromtrooper or Vstrom Riders International Forums under "events" for more information............or PM me.
Moto-Kafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #2059
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
New 650

I bought a new 2012 V-Strom 650 Adventure. I have not taken delivery of it yet, as I am waiting for the dealership to install the matching OEM top case and hand guards. I hope to pick it up soon. I have the plate ready to go, but with 12" of snow due this Friday, I may as well get started on the farkling...
I was somewhat surprised that I was told that they would not see a 2013 model (in Grey) until May... I looked at the grey DR650 they had there, and liked the black much better, so I took the discount, and grabbed the 2012 model.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #2060
camodog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
My New wee strom

I should be picking up my brand new '12 DL650 Adventure on Saturday morning. I was half tempted to call in to work tomorrow. Pics to come
camodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #2061
brutusfly
Commuter ADVWannabe

Oddometer: 15
Congrats! I've had mine for about, oh... a rear tire. Love it!
brutusfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #2062
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Just call in sick! Its perfectly normal, people get sick every now and again, especially on new bike day!
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #2063
camodog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Just call in sick! Its perfectly normal, people get sick every now and again, especially on new bike day!
You were right. I should have called in. I dont think I will be able to sleep tonight. Like a kid on xmas eve.
camodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #2064
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,755
Man, that bike is sweet! I love the factory panniers. It's a true homerun
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #2065
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
Weeeee! Welcome to the club :)
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #2066
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,060
I just picked up my second dl650 today. This one is a 12 orange. My other one is an 04 blue.

I've got an 88 mile a day commute and wanted something with abs that was a low hassle bike. I was looking seriously at r1200gs from about 08 and left over super teneres but then I found this bike.

Pretty happy. No real plans other then heated grips, a better horn, conspicuity lighting, knuckle guards, gps with traffic and an on board camera.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #2067
jazzer
Lost again... Yeah!

Oddometer: 200
First trip on our DL1000

Hi All,

My wife and I just got back from our first trip on our new to us DL1000. My wife says it's more comfortable than our Honda ST1100 was. I like the handling and ergonomics better. It was way better in the dirt (gravel roads two up) than I expected.

I don't think the PO did any mods and I have a few complaints...... Can anyone direct me to a list of the "required" mods. It has a terrible vibrations when passing from about 2.8K to 3K, and anything under 4K is almost worthless. It seemed to run better on premium. Is that expected?

The PO lowered it and I want to bring it back up. The plastic skid plate did what is shouldn't be capable of doing.

Thanks for any advice!

Ken
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #2068
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzer View Post

Can anyone direct me to a list of the "required" mods. It has a terrible vibrations when passing from about 2.8K to 3K, and anything under 4K is almost worthless. It seemed to run better on premium. Is that expected?

The PO lowered it and I want to bring it back up. The plastic skid plate did what is shouldn't be capable of doing.

Thanks for any advice!

Ken
Www.stromtrooper.com for any and all information.

The low end fuelling is notoriously lean. There are several fixes including the Power Commander. $300 and ten minutes and you'll have a new bike.

Vibration can be caused by crash bars if you have them. Make sure the torque is correct.

My Vee was lowered when I got it (just the forks thank goodness) I returned it to stock and I think the low speed handling is greatly improved. Others prefer it lowered for sharper handling... I found it downright unstable.

The other farkle most agree on is a fork brace. You can get one for around $80 from www.adventuretech.com along with a few other useful bolt-ons.

Head on over to Stromtroopers. The options are limited only by the thickness of your wallet!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #2069
Mulewright
Old Fart/Journeyman

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Hi All,

My wife and I just got back from our first trip on our new to us DL1000. My wife says it's more comfortable than our Honda ST1100 was. I like the handling and ergonomics better. It was way better in the dirt (gravel roads two up) than I expected.

I don't think the PO did any mods and I have a few complaints...... Can anyone direct me to a list of the "required" mods. It has a terrible vibrations when passing from about 2.8K to 3K, and anything under 4K is almost worthless. It seemed to run better on premium. Is that expected?

Thanks for any advice!

Ken
Ken... wander on over to Holeshot Performance & mebe call Dale Walker up.
He owned one & did a lot of dyno work to sort stuff out. Many options available from them.
I have been Quite pleased with their products and especialy the customer service I have recieved.

Ken;
p.m. me & I can point out the "Magic Fixes" for you that worked for me..... some are a mater of personal taste..... Some necessary to make the bike "Livable" in day in/day out use, like the Dobeck Electronic Jet Box (Holeshot).
I went up 3 teeth on the back when replacing the sprockets & chain and also did the 530 chain upgrade at the same time & really like it.
Also the speedo healer, and a Leo Vince slip on upgrade.(from RevZilla for $425 shipped) I will be doing a "Clutch Basket (from Real Shelby on the VSRI SITE) at the next oil change. Terry is a real stand up guy to deal with & a bud has done it and the result is a completely different bike. You can run it under load sub 2k rpm & it Works!

Mulewright screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 04:34 PM Reason: additional info
Mulewright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #2070
whipit1k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks for any advice!

Ken
I would make sure the bike is not still running its stock gearing. two teeth on the rear sprocket does wonders for the bike while still allowing overdrive to be speeding ticket on the interstate-fast. the vibration is probably what people in the strom world refer to as "chudder". lowering the gearing a tad helps get past this point, I personally just try to spend less time at such low RPM
whipit1k is offline   Reply With Quote