Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #16
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_P View Post
Maybe I should contribute. Best pie yet was a bakery in Darfield on the way to Author pass.
you obviously didn't stop at the bakery in Reefton

so have you found yourself leaning into the corners while driving yet?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 AM   #17
Andy_P OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
you obviously didn't stop at the bakery in Reefton
Not yet, Went Christchurch to Greymouth via Authors pass, then went south from Greymouth. My plans have changed a lot, I am in love with the alps, so did a mammoth drive today to Omarama from Te Anau via Invercargill and Dunedin, hugging the coast where I could. I am going to try and get another heli flight tomorrow from somewhere north(ish) of here over mt cook, fox and frans joseph if I can. If I get the heli ride, I will probably head toward Hanmar springs tomorrow, and then past Reefton on Thursday.

There is no doubt about it, I am coming back here to ride. Not sure when, but its going to happen. There is three of us (from ADV) are planning to do the north island next year and add in some sailing, so not sure when I will get back to the south island. I might even try to sneak in a week toward the end of the year.

BTW, if anyone ever asks about frans joseph flights, send them to glacier country scenic flights. I turned them down due to time contraints, but they were the best value for money. I should have done the flight in hindsight, but dont have time to get back to them now. They leave from Whataroa and seem to be negotiable on price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
so have you found yourself leaning into the corners while driving yet?
Yes. But there is a pillar that seems to line up with the vanishing point in the best corners. Most annoying. I also find myself nodding to riders, and wishing I could let overtaking riders know that I am with them mentally. No, I am not just a fuckwit tourist in a motorhome (ok, yes I am) but I am also a rider that sympathises when other riders are stuck behind me. Please forgive me, I try to pull over to the left as far as possible when I see a rider
Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,170

Have a look at the FAQ for tips on Northern routes & get in touch if you want to catch up for a beer when you hit Rotorua.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #19
Andy_P OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post

At least I sit on 100kph, or 110kph if the wind aint too bad. I must be the only person in one of these overweight bohemeths that will dare to overtake a truck, or another motorhome for that matter. Everyone seems to drive them at 80kph.

I tried to get it onto 2 wheels in a few corners, wife has been none to happy about it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Have a look at the FAQ for tips on Northern routes & get in touch if you want to catch up for a beer when you hit Rotorua.

Cheers
Clint
To busy trying to figure out how I can get back here and ride this year.!!!

When we comeback next year will have to put rotorua on the list! I am going to go chase the other two and start making formal plans. Will be myself, Dr AT and Drikko if all goes well.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #20
drikko
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Breville Sandwich Maker
Brisbane OZ
drikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:52 AM   #21
Andy_P OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drikko View Post
Had some information from some North Islanders today that the south is the place ride. Appraenlty to many cops up north, and the roads not as good?

By the way, tried pies in Reefton today, Darfield still the best so far.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #22
Andy_P OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You know what the best thing is about new zealand?? NO fucken kangaroos jumping out in front of you. Quite a few times now I have been driving in prime roo jumping time, but none jumped out at me.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:58 AM   #23
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,288
Yep! No wombats, either. But the stray sheep and cows can be deadly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #24
Andy_P OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow, its all over! I have just run out of time. I never did get to ride, but I did get to speak to a few riders (most from the north island interestingly). I was hoping to get at least a half day on a bike, but decided to do a run up to picton instead which ended any chance of riding. Wife is happy though, so life cant be so bad!

You south islanders really do have some wonderful riding country and I question if you could ever find any better road riding in Aus. I am already making plans to come back and ride, and I cant wait. Might try and snare 2-3 weeks next year, but going to try and sneak in for a long weekend (4 day) ride later this year.

Like I said, the luxury of not having to be paranoid about roo's and wombats etc. is fantastic. We do get the livestock on the road here in Aus too, but at least most of it is fenced in NZ. I certainly could not do a 3200km ride and not get a fright from a roo or a cow in Aus. Best I saw was 2 goats on queen charlotte road into picton (hell road in a motorhome!!)

Thanks again for those who made offers, I will make a point of trying to catch up next time I am here.