Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #1141
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,945
thanks again for sharing ... amazing how large a portion transport expenses ended up.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #1142
BretN333
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks for the update

Colin and Re,

I'm a long time lurker to Adv, first time posting. Your reports were something I looked forward to each day while you were on the road. Thank you so much for sharing your trip, the ups, the downs, and the everyday travel routine. Thank you also for the update. After following the report for so long it was hard not to hear how you guys were doing. I'm glad that it is working out for you two.

The Concours is one of the bikes I'm considering after a 20 year hiatus from cycling, or maybe a ST1100, or Nighthawk 750, or, or .... Hopefully, this summer I will actually decide on one and get it. Thanks again.

Bret
BretN333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #1143
CDNbiker
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 499
Glad you guys are doing well; yeah it really must suck having to return to the working world after such an amazing trip. All the best and thanks for the update!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #1144
Ivyleague
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Thumb Thanks for $$$

Thanks, Colin for putting up the totals. A zen master might urge a mindset change to help understand that you are still on the "journey", but that's hard to grasp unless..... you are a zen master.
Another inmate once wrote this about that culture sclock of going back to the grind or finding "nirvana"

" In samsara—the endless cycle of suffering—we are always winning and losing the same game, somehow expecting to make progress. We spend part of our life trying to get it together, and the other part watching it fall apart. We don’t realize that if we try to gain something, we had better be ready to lose it. As soon as we have time—“I have a whole hour free”—we are losing it. We work hard to have a relationship, and then it breaks up. We come together for a holiday party, and then it’s over. We buy a new car, and the fender gets a dent. We’re playing the game of “’What about me?’ If I gain something, I will be happy. If I lose something, I’ll be miserable.” Competition is unstable. Even when we win, we have not really won. We always have to prove ourselves again. Gain and loss are meaningless preoccupations. True victory is not being caught by the illusion of permanence. It is not being hooked by negative emotions. It comes about when we free ourselves from the illusion of “me.”

If this doesn't work, you might try a book titled The Zen of the Ride or something like that.

The truth is you are a talented story writer/rider - maybe you should take your story on the road.

Like every one else who has posted, I loved "the ride" and appreciate you sharing the dollars and sense. Ride safe and let the good times roll...

Ivyleague screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 06:33 PM
Ivyleague is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #1145
scrappyscooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thanks for the update! Just got back from SE Asia (not on a motorcyle) and want to go back already.
scrappyscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #1146
John Fabian
Fabe

Oddometer: 95
Congratulations & Thank You

Colin & Re,

Congratulations on your Underbone Adventure. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I've just finished Colin's account here, next I shall read Re's account on her blog.

You made me give up the idea of traveling to India, buying a Royal Enfield there, and motoring around the country. I will go, but I'll use public transportation.

I did a 7k ride on a 150cc scooter this summer - http://the-coulee.blogspot.com

Thanks again. All the best in all you do. -J
John Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #1147
toolshed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Awesome ride report. Thanks for sharing!
toolshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #1148
klx250sfguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Thanks to you guys

After stumbling across your thread last fall I went out and bought these:

Thanks for the inspiration!

I also bought this (couldn't resist, it was only $400 and runs beautifully).

I haven't read your entire report but plan to do so now that I've stumbled across you again.

Thanks again!
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #1149
Jim K.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Wow! From the Symbas to a Connie! That's quite a leap, in weight & speed, if nothing else. I'll bet both Symbas together don't weigh as much as the Connie C-10. I'll venture another guess, that the Connie will exceed the top speed of the Symbas in 1st gear. I wonder how many miles the Symba would go on that 7.5 gal. tank? You'll come to love the Connie though. I can't think of a better "bang for the buck" vehicle. I owned mine for 11 years & 50,000mi. & bought 3 sets of tires, 2 batteries, & lots of oil & filters. That's it, period, nada! Nothing ever broke. I'd recommend joining COG, the owners club. It's the best extended warranty I've ever seen. The folks there know every nut & bolt on that bike & are friendly & eager to share.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #1150
klx250sfguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Jim, I love your enthusiasm for the Connie. My best friend had the C-10 and now has a C-14. Awesome bikes. Pretty sure Colin said he had a Connie in the 90's and put 80,000 miles on it (if I recall correctly). So, nothing new for him.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #1151
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
I met this couple this weekend and heard a first hand account of their travels. All I can say is... WOW!!! Simply an amazing journey and I am in awe of the entire project. Well done.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #1152
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I met this couple this weekend and heard a first hand account of their travels. All I can say is... WOW!!! Simply an amazing journey and I am in awe of the entire project. Well done.
Yes it was, the presentation was great, and the Q&A afterward was awesome. Great questions with some damn good answers, I'm glad I went.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #1153
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underboning View Post

For those who are interested, the trip broke down as follows:

48 days in the USA and Canada cost 1895 USD, or 39.50 USD per day
Shipping the bikes from Toronto to Cape Town was 2753 USD, and our flights were 1720 USD
57 days in Africa cost 4843 USD, or 85 USD per day
Shipping the bikes from Dar Es Salaam to Mumbai was 1667 USD, and our flights were 910 USD
60 days in India cost 3141 USD, or 52 USD per day
14 days in Nepal cost 611 USD, or 44 USD per day
Shipping the bikes from Kathmandu to Bangkok cost 770 USD, and our flights were 410 USD
135 days in Southeast Asia cost 6433 USD, or 48 USD per day
Shipping the bikes from Georgetown to Los Angeles cost 2132 USD, and our flights were 1368 USD
Our final 9 days from Los Angeles to Portland cost 869 USD, or 97 USD per day

Between the two bikes, we covered a total of 50,249 miles and used 530 gallons of gas, for an average of 95 mpg.

Over 326 days on the road, we spent 17,792 USD, or 54.58 USD per day in living expenses, excluding freight and flights. With freight and flights included, we spent a total of 29,523 USD, which works out to 90.56 USD per day. It was worth every penny!
shipping two Symba's ended being a major chunk of costs ($7,322)... at $2k each ... would it have been more cost effective to sell, instead of paying for shipping charges? then buy brand new Symba's at destination?
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #1154
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
Wow! From the Symbas to a Connie! That's quite a leap, in weight & speed, if nothing else. I'll bet both Symbas together don't weigh as much as the Connie C-10. I'll venture another guess, that the Connie will exceed the top speed of the Symbas in 1st gear. I wonder how many miles the Symba would go on that 7.5 gal. tank? You'll come to love the Connie though. I can't think of a better "bang for the buck" vehicle. I owned mine for 11 years & 50,000mi. & bought 3 sets of tires, 2 batteries, & lots of oil & filters. That's it, period, nada! Nothing ever broke. I'd recommend joining COG, the owners club. It's the best extended warranty I've ever seen. The folks there know every nut & bolt on that bike & are friendly & eager to share.
As another poster mentioned, I have had a bunch of seat time on a C10 in the 90s. They are great bikes and relatively bulletproof, too. Mine had 84K on it when I decided to do a little deer slaying on the way home from work one night. Right now we need a (cheap) bike that can easily cruise up and down I-95 between Virginia and North Carolina and I immediately thought of the Concours. Its been perfect for that and a few trips to the mountains so far. Later this summer we plan on doing some camping at the coast with it. And yes, the first time I rolled onto I-95 I was shocked at the acceleration. After a year on a Symba, it was a surprise!
Underboning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #1155
Underboning OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace View Post
Yes it was, the presentation was great, and the Q&A afterward was awesome. Great questions with some damn good answers, I'm glad I went.
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it, we had fun, too! Hope we didn't run too long, we were only supposed to be on for 30 minutes and I guess we ran over by quite a bit.

Re was a little more than a little nervous about talking to such a large group. At one point she said that she'd rather ride India again! But she said that she actually enjoyed it once she got started.
Underboning is offline   Reply With Quote