Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #16
tyluk OP
That's what she said

Oddometer: 101
Thanks for bringing the wheels to my attention. He is calling his friend who is the original owner to ask if he has the 21'' wheel sitting somewhere and maybe has forgotten about it. I don't know if I can talk him down on price anymore so I'm hoping there is a 21'' wheel somewhere that I can snag.
tyluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #17
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
I also wouldnt let it end the deal. I have a spare wheel if you need one.

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
tyluk OP
That's what she said

So he talked with the original owner and the 19'' was put on so it would handle better in the sand. The original owner is going to look when he gets home to see if he still has the spokes and 21'' rim. It sounds like the hub was reused and laced to the 19'' wheel.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyluk View Post
the 19'' was put on so it would handle better in the sand.
That's a new one to me.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyluk View Post
So he talked with the original owner and the 19'' was put on so it would handle better in the sand. The original owner is going to look when he gets home to see if he still has the spokes and 21'' rim. It sounds like the hub was reused and laced to the 19'' wheel.
Uh?? that doesn't make any sense.

The 21 would be better in sand / off road in general than a 19, which would be better off road than a 17.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #21
tyluk OP
That's what she said

The original owner road the bike down Baja to Cabo. I think that's when the 19 was put on. As far as which one is better, that's out of my realm. The person who owns it now hasn't ridden it very much and it's not really the bike he's looking for. He has an XR650 that he rides in the dirt and a street bike. It doesn't sound like he knows much about it since it was his friends and that's the person who put the majority of the miles on it.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #22
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Here is my experience with the bike in those photos.

It has been for sale for a long time. I spent like a month of emailing and such never lead to any returns messages. Then one day out of the blue I got the photos you posted of the bike with no description. I emailed back and got a return email back from someone else at a title company who I called and she knew nothing about it. She talked to the original name of the person who emailed me. About two hours later I got a phone call from someone (not the one that emailed me the photos) claiming to be the owner. Talked to him for awhile but I couldn't ever seem to get any info out of the owner and the two times I talked to him on the phone I got several "Um...I think...". Last time I talked to the person claiming to be the owner was about 3 and a half weeks ago.

Good luck on it whatever you decide but make sure it is legit. I didn't risk it.
John_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #23
KBach
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_L View Post

It has been for sale for a long time. I spent like a month of emailing and such never lead to any returns messages. Then one day out of the blue I got the photos you posted of the bike with no description. I emailed back and got a return email back from someone else at a title company who I called and she knew nothing about it. She talked to the original name of the person who emailed me. About two hours later I got a phone call from someone (not the one that emailed me the photos) claiming to be the owner. Talked to him for awhile but I couldn't ever seem to get any info out of the owner and the two times I talked to him on the phone I got several "Um...I think...". Last time I talked to the person claiming to be the owner was about 3 and a half weeks ago.

Good luck on it whatever you decide but make sure it is legit. I didn't risk it.

Interesting.
I've looked at this bike online a few times and thought about contacting the seller for more info but never did. I guess now, knowing some of this background here, I'm glad I didn't. Just doesn't sound right...
KBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #24
tyluk OP
That's what she said

Yeah I think I'll hold off. If I were at the bike with the seller it may be different but I would have to give a deposit on the bike sight unseen and then pick it up from a third party (not the seller). He said he was going to list it here so maybe someone else can jump on it that's closer to the bike.

On a side note he said his friend is the original owner but my KTM dealer has a different name than his friends as being the original owner.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #25
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_L View Post

Yikes. Hard to believe you guys are talking about the same bike. Sounds sketch to me.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #26
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
If I would have been local to him it might have been a different outcome, but something just didn't seem right about it so being long distance I passed.

A local buyer might get a hell of a deal.
John_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #27
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,269
No used bike worth an unknown owner!

I have same year bike and love it. I'm always a big advocate of buying preowned with the right conditions. And unfortunately... this bike is NOT! It could very well have eaten a clutch basket bolt and has been pawned off a couple times. Of course in the right originally well kept owner's hands this is a great analog version of the LC8 Adventure: Carbs without in tank fuel filters, no ABS.

Take your time and don't rush on a bad choice...

Better yet, look in the flea market for inmate Narcisco Lopez's bike. That's a rare choice one!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #28
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Is it me or does it look to good to be true?
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #29
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
I wonder if hes flying to Nigeria

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #30
GrenDesb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309