Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,221
I wonder if I should stop now and start planning a single wheel build? It would be smaller but then I could pull it easier. I could get away with the fjr and maybe klr then.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:59 AM   #17
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I wonder if I should stop now and start planning a single wheel build? It would be smaller but then I could pull it easier. I could get away with the fjr and maybe klr then.

Oh, building your own changes things! Got a pair of motorcycle wheels and the ability to bend and weld conduit? You can build a heck of a nice light weight trailer with that. I've seen it done with bicycle wheels also, but the tires aren't DOT legal. Skip the springs, letting the sidewalls of the tire do the flexing, and you cut down a whole lot of weight and complexity. Look at the kiddie trailers for bicycles for inspiration.

High hitch a single wheel trailer and it stays far more stable than the low hitched types.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #18
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,236
Get this one and be done with it. It's a small investment for the trailer to see if it is your cup of tea. Use a 20% coupon to decrease the price even more.

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-...ler-66771.html

Read the reviews.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #19
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well I got it, its the flatbed one with the 12" wheels. I thought about the other 2, both the lighter flatbed and the carrier that's already done. The little tires just seemed like a bad idea to me. They probably would have been fine, it just looked like they would be even more bouncy. I'd imagine there's a reason the expensive trailers use bigger wheels.

I'm putting it together now. Going to follow the build from the link I posted. The first step for me is to get the thing together and see how it pulls. I'm going to put some weight on it and hook it to the truck just to see if its going to be bouncy or sway. If so its a firewood trailer.

Question, do you guys think I really need to deck it in? The car top carriers generally support themselves on 2 bars, so I don't think it would need a floor. Maybe just a couple of light cross braces to keep the frame from twisting?

Also, most guys seem to extend the hitch between 8" and 20", and some narrow the trailer. Any opinions there? I can go either way, but most of the guys that narrow it only go 4" or so. Seems like that little bit wouldn't make much difference.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #20
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

I wouldn't deck it. Not unless you're planning to toss logs and such in it.

Keep the tire pressure low, or else it will bounce. An empty little trailer doesn't need much air in the tires at all. That's why empty car dollies bounce so madly.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #21
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's where I'm at now. I bought at 15 cubic foot box from K-mart yesterday. Most builds I've been looking at use bigger boxes, but I liked how this one was fairly low. It's still plenty big enough, and should be less like pulling a kite. I'm going to narrow the frame 4" from this pic, and am looking into shortening it.

I'm guessing center the box about 6" in front of the axle? They'll be a cooler mounted on the tongue also. Box is 4' 6" long, in the pics it's 6" foreword.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #22
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Thumb Here's my thoughts on a wagon.......

I had a trailer for my touring bike. Big bike with full fairing and a V4 engine. The bike pulled it fine with no noticeable loss of power and surprisingly not even much difference in mileage. It was stable and during all but the worst roads you would not even know it was there. It was bigger than one you have shown in your pics. I would think the one shown would be pretty good as far as size goes. Narrowing it to about four feet or so is good. Don't go too narrow so as to cause instability in corners also keep it the length of the trailer and tongue about the same as the wheelbase in your bike. There is a general rule there but I can't find it right now. I have seen the Bushtec trailers with the bigger wheels and pretty much open frame. Low slung and big wheels looks like it should pull pretty good even behind a smaller bike. I've seen too many bikes too far overloaded and think a trailer with judicious loading would be good.
I'm shopping for a KLR and I think this would be a good match. The caveat to that is I think it would. Pulling a trailer with a bike is no problem but you always have to remember it is there even when you don't notice it. Really no different than driving a cage with a trailer.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #23
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
I had a trailer for my touring bike. Big bike with full fairing and a V4 engine. The bike pulled it fine with no noticeable loss of power and surprisingly not even much difference in mileage. It was stable and during all but the worst roads you would not even know it was there. It was bigger than one you have shown in your pics. I would think the one shown would be pretty good as far as size goes. Narrowing it to about four feet or so is good. Don't go too narrow so as to cause instability in corners also keep it the length of the trailer and tongue about the same as the wheelbase in your bike. There is a general rule there but I can't find it right now. I have seen the Bushtec trailers with the bigger wheels and pretty much open frame. Low slung and big wheels looks like it should pull pretty good even behind a smaller bike. I've seen too many bikes too far overloaded and think a trailer with judicious loading would be good.
I'm shopping for a KLR and I think this would be a good match. The caveat to that is I think it would. Pulling a trailer with a bike is no problem but you always have to remember it is there even when you don't notice it. Really no different than driving a cage with a trailer.
That's the phrase I keep seeing. I'm fine by myself, even with camping gear. By the time I add the girlfriend and all of her crap, the Road King is so overloaded it's not even funny. Just the tent and 2 sleeping bags fill the tour pack, plus all of the other necessities. Our longest camping trip was 2 nights, and even at that we were out of packing room and overloaded. We're going on a longish trip this summer, maybe 2 weeks, and camping for most of it. I have no idea how I would pack for both of us without a trailer and still be comfortable.

It's looking to be right around 4' wide at the outside of the tires. I'm making everything as low as possible, so I don't think roll-overs should be much of an issue. The supports of the carrier are basically on the trailer frame itself, and I'm looking at ways of lowering the trailer. It's about 1/2" lower than stock from removing a leaf spring, I don't see a good way to go farther yet.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #24
Tooner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Hard to tell from the picture which way it is, but could you mount the axle on top of the spring to make the trailer lower? Cuts into your spring travel, but you probably don't need that much travel anyway.
Tooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #25
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Find a way to put the spring perches on the side of the frame.
Check for axle clearance.

If you top mount the axle the spring mounts will have to be re welded on bottom to keep the camber in the axle (if there is any my guess not)

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #26
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
"Hmm.... A tent trailer is likely heavier than what I would pull, and a K100 is maybe 150-250 pounds lighter than my Road King. No dirt or gravel roads for me with a trailer, but I'd assume that twisty 2 lanes aren't a problem, just go slower? I've also heard that a bike with trailer handles better than an overloaded bike. I know there's a huge handling difference in the Road King when I have all of our crap strapped on."

All true! The trailer was around 350 lbs, but with the beer and crap we always carried (riding with 2 other guys who used my trailer as storage) likely 400.

And you are absolutely correct, I would rather have that extra weight off the bike any day.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #27
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I'm looking at ways of lowering the trailer. It's about 1/2" lower than stock from removing a leaf spring, I don't see a good way to go farther yet.
Bolt the axle directly to the frame. You really don't need the springs nearly as much as you think you do. Especially without a shock to dampen things if they do flex. The tire sidewalls alone do a fine job.

Lower a trailer too far and you get into entertaining dragging situations going up over curb edges into driveways and the like. Doubt you'd have that problem with this one, but don't lose track of this. Watch your leading and trailing angles.

If you're lowering because of fear of rollover, I think your worries are overblow. You're already quite low and stable.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #28
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,367
I already built this and am working on my 2nd trailer with the same cargo box you have.

Yes my dog does ride in the box. He heads to my hideout in the mountains with me. I used a longer piece of tubing for the tongue, it is supposed to reduce sway.

On the second one I am working on I will try the factory tongue but I am going to narrow the bed and axle of the trailer a bit.

The only time I notice it is if I don't accelerate completely through a turn. You can feel it want to push the bike a bit. It's a good reminder to accelerate through turns.

Many trips to the mountains with it and this summer my boy and I went from Va. Beach to Yellowstone with it. Overall I feel it is much safer than the sidecar rig I had was. It also has the benefit that I can unhook it and be free.

Minimal change in mpg on the FJR, Highway mpg went from roughly 42 mpg to 25mpg with the hack.

On the HF trailer make sure you pull the bearings out and clean all the cheap chinese grease out and pack them with something quality.

B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #29
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

B. E. Coyote, I was wondering how an fjr would do. Guess I got my answer. I'm not getting a hitch for it yet, maybe in the future. For now the road king will work well.

I'm thinking lowing for the rollover risk. The more I look at it you guys are right, its low enough. I have the frame torn back apart now, I cut it down some and got new holes drilled. Narrowed it 4" and shortened the frame 3". The next nice day I'll drag it back outside for welding and paint.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #30
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 733
With a single wheel trailer it tracks close to what the bike tracks so there is less chance of hitting a pothole.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote