Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #46
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post

Didn't Norton trials bikes have rigid frames? I've seen a few pics of twin shock versions now.
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #47
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,494
Norton spring frame trials is the 500T as seen in the pictures above... but there was loads of others, see here...

http://www.nortonownersclub.org/hist...45-1954-trials

And I will let Rob tell you about this little treasure...

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #48
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,375
That bike sat in my mates uncles loft for years, never registered for the road. It turned out to be a genuine Works Norton Trials machine, backed up with documents and authenticated by the Norton Owners club. The forks were worn and it needed some TLC Being in our twenties at the time and only interested in faster machines, beer and women. Neither my mates or myself could be bothered with it and just regarded it as a curiosity to be sat on and tinkered with. The bike eventually made it into the hands of a retired engineer (you're going to hate this) who stripped it down, stove enamelled everything and had it repainted. He can't ride it so it just sits in his garage and gets trailered to the odd show in the summer.

If ever anything makes me wish I could go back in time and kick myself up the arse it's this bike...

Shirl, who had it in his loft, is in his eighties now and still has a couple of round tank machines in the loft along with a couple of Velos, a Morini 350 Sport that he's had for years and a couple of other machines.
Rob Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #49
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
I guess everyone has their version of the ideal motorcycle. For me it's the bikes on this thread. Thanks for sharing.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #50
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,139
I bet the Enfields won hands down.

Smart side stand on first 350cc Enfield. Looks like it started out as a coat hanger and kept its double functionality.

Thanks for a lovely picture series of very fine bikes!

I'm scouting for off road tires on my Enfield. Intended use on forest tracks. Currently thinking of Heidenau's. Anyone with some pro & con's on that subject? Would be appreciated.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:56 AM   #51
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Recently I tried a Michelin Annakee as rear tire on my Enfield scrambler. On road it was great, off road jst as useless as any other road tire. On hard, unpaved, secondary roads it's fine, but on loose dirt/sand and in the mud (especially in the mud) it's useless.

I now have Heidenau K60's front and back. I love the off road grip, on road they are ok-ish, good enough for me. The only drawbacks: There is only one size tat fits. This means:
- The front tire and rear tire are equally high, but because of the wider rear rim, the rear tire is actually lower (instead of higher with the stock tires). This changes the geometry of the bike and you really feel that in a bad way on the road. The solution would be longer rear springs
- The size that does fit is quite narrow. In the mud and in loose sand my rear tire sinks really deep, big minus on the roads I like to ride.

I really like how the tires look on my bike.

MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #52
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,139
That is good info, thanks.
Yes, Heidenau's do look good.
But the rear tire is an issue. And having gear on the back will obviously add to the problem. I'd like to solve that without going into modding, given that's a slippery course in itself.

Apropos, I followed the build of your trial. Wasn't an easy task, -I still feel a pang at the thought of that poor engine-, but brought to an excellent result.