Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #61
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,321
SPEED: No Broadcast Deals In Place For 2013 MotoGP Or Superbike World Championships

“[W]e expect to have MotoGP (Moto2 and Moto3) on the network in 2013, possibly announcing a new multi-year deal shortly,” SPEED Vice President of Media Relations Erik Arneson wrote in an e-mail to Roadracingworld.com on January 28. “And while communication remains open with Dorna regarding WSBK, there is no deal in place yet for 2013.”

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #62
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
SPEED: No Broadcast Deals In Place For 2013 MotoGP Or Superbike World Championships

“[W]e expect to have MotoGP (Moto2 and Moto3) on the network in 2013, possibly announcing a new multi-year deal shortly,” SPEED Vice President of Media Relations Erik Arneson wrote in an e-mail to Roadracingworld.com on January 28. “And while communication remains open with Dorna regarding WSBK, there is no deal in place yet for 2013.”
Bummer! Hopefully a deal will be forthcoming in short order!

Thanks for the update and link. I've been searching wondering what's up. Mark H.
AKDuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #63
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
And the AMA is planning subscription only newsprint coverage for that series this season. They are forward thinkers.
Sorry about the thread drift, but I appear to have missed something. Care to explain?
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #64
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Sorry about the thread drift, but I appear to have missed something. Care to explain?
Humor. You'll laugh later.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #65
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
It was the "subscription only newsprint coverage" that has me confused. What the hell does that mean, and how the hell do you achieve that?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #66
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
It was the "subscription only newsprint coverage" that has me confused. What the hell does that mean, and how the hell do you achieve that?
Print media, subscription only -- A reference, no doubt to the AMA's half-assed way of handling anything other than the racing these days.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #67
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Print media, subscription only -- A reference, no doubt to the AMA's half-assed way of handling anything other than the racing these days.
That would be worse than Dorna. And that's saying something.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #68
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,090
I am so looking forward to the season.

I mean, I also watch MotoGP, but that always seems like a couple of Tie-Fighters chasing an X-Wing.

WSBK is a different animal, it's Tron with 24 bikes at the start line.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #69
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
I am so looking forward to the season.

I mean, I also watch MotoGP, but that always seems like a couple of Tie-Fighters chasing an X-Wing.

WSBK is a different animal, it's Tron with 24 bikes at the start line.
Enjoy it while you can. The DICKTATOR will be 'adjusting' things as of next season....
Old 02-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #70
Codewheeney
Hoopy Frood

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
That would be worse than Dorna. And that's saying something.
More thread drift: DMG has really screwed up AMA Road Racing. Only 8 rounds this year (2 at Laguna), nothing in Southern Cal, nothing at Infineon. Pathetic, really. I can't see how we're going to develop another world class rider who doesn't do the Stoner thing and move to Europe.

JC

Plays in traffic.
Codewheeney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #71
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,143
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, just attempting to poke fun at the DMG/AMA's total lack of vision and referring back to the 70's and 80's where we had to wait for the new Cycle News to come out to find out what happened in the racing world that week.

The way DMG is going, there won't even be video documentation of this season.

At least DORNA produces its world feed and broadcasts it themselves. DMG wants everyone to pay them for production rights to a show that has little commercial appeal. Instead of "build it and they will come," they say "come and we will try to build it."

Sorry. Thread derail over.

2002 KTM 520 EXC for sale
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926379
mdubya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #72
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,031
Thanks amigo; I can't stand SPEED or it's announcers even if they do get it.

Quote:
It is possiible it might be available for live viewing via the WSBK website in the US since there are no rights holders.

If not

http://www.firstrow1.eu/

http://www.vipbox.tv

will both have live links to view online. Make sure your popup blocker and adblocker are working. You will have your choice of several live broadcasts from around the world in multiple languages.

It will be even better if the WSBK site allows on demand viewing so we can watch when we want like with the Moto GP no spoiler link.

WSBK allowed this a few seasons ago before SPEED got wise. I won't miss SPEED one bit.
ErikY. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #73
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Yep, just attempting to poke fun at the DMG/AMA's total lack of vision and referring back to the 70's and 80's where we had to wait for the new Cycle News to come out to find out what happened in the racing world that week.

The way DMG is going, there won't even be video documentation of this season.

At least DORNA produces its world feed and broadcasts it themselves. DMG wants everyone to pay them for production rights to a show that has little commercial appeal. Instead of "build it and they will come," they say "come and we will try to build it."

Sorry. Thread derail over.
Do you know that DMG is asking someone to pay them for production rights? I've never seen that. I think they pay Chet Burkes Productions to produce the races and then DMG try to sell enough advertising to cover the cost of the air time they buy from SPEED. I think it worked the same way under the old AMA regime except now there is no pool of AMA membership dollars to dip into to cover losses.

As for SPEED, I've been under the impression they are a broadcaster with air time to sell, so MotoGP, WSBK and AMA just buy time slots and deliver a fully produced program and advertising package. I believe SPEED paid for Formula 1 but everyone else pays their way onto the network. SPEED makes sure programing is branded with their name on their network but motorcycle racing is produced (filmed, edited, announced, ads sold) by independent contractors. This is what I have always read about motorcycle road racing on TV in the US. Anyone know for a fact if the arrangement is different?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #74
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Do you know that DMG is asking someone to pay them for production rights? I've never seen that. I think they pay Chet Burkes Productions to produce the races and then DMG try to sell enough advertising to cover the cost of the air time they buy from SPEED. I think it worked the same way under the old AMA regime except now there is no pool of AMA membership dollars to dip into to cover losses.

As for SPEED, I've been under the impression they are a broadcaster with air time to sell, so MotoGP, WSBK and AMA just buy time slots and deliver a fully produced program and advertising package. I believe SPEED paid for Formula 1 but everyone else pays their way onto the network. SPEED makes sure programing is branded with their name on their network but motorcycle racing is produced (filmed, edited, announced, ads sold) by independent contractors. This is what I have always read about motorcycle road racing on TV in the US. Anyone know for a fact if the arrangement is different?
See here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=128

2002 KTM 520 EXC for sale
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926379
mdubya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #75
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
A link to a link back to my post? No wonder this television thing is so confusing.