Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #31
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
I weighed both passenger pegs and tubes complete, which I cut off the sub-frame, and they came in at 3 lbs.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #32
Mongo357
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
don't forget the charcoal canister, that's worth a few pounds
Mongo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #33
bastimentos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Rather than start a new thread..

Does anyone know the weight of the stock wheels for the F800GS?

Just curious to compare to aftermarket sets for reduction of unsprung weight.
bastimentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:52 AM   #34
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,038
Better suspension = less crashing...
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #35
AMusedRider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Remus Exhaust System?

Has anyone replaced their stock exhaust system with this one?

http://www.solomotoparts.com/Remus-H...-F800GS-08-12/

This system is said to weigh only 1.5kgs. This system doesn't seem to have a catalytic converter ( I could be very wrong)

Has anyone used this? Any feedback on performance and value would be welcome.

How much does the stock one weigh? Does the lack of a catalytic converter make it illegal in California?

Thanks!
AMusedRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #36
shashankmittal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
A full system is a free flow system without an exhaust mainly designed for racing applications. Yes, it is illegal to use a full system on a street legal bike due to higher emissions and louder sound. In most states including CA, cops won't pull you over for having an illegal exhaust. However, if you are pulled over for something else (like speeding etc) and the cop notices your aftermarket exhaust, they may give you a citation for that too.

The stock system is an stainless steel system and although I haven't weighed it, it should be more than 15lbs. My S1000RR's stock system was 22lbs, which I replaced with a full titanium system that was only 9lbs.

The Remus is a nice exhaust but it isn't very clear whether the header is Ti or stainless. The muffler definitely is Ti. Remus website also lists a stainless header:
http://www.remususa.com/epages/remus...22F%20800GS%22

Something to consider with a full system is that if you are looking for any performance gains, then you'll need a aftermarket fuel module, like a Powercommander V, preferably with a dyno tuned custom map. This will be an additional of at least $500 on top of the exhaust's cost.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #37
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMusedRider View Post

This system is said to weigh only 1.5kgs. This system doesn't seem to have a catalytic converter ( I could be very wrong)

How much does the stock one weigh? Does the lack of a catalytic converter make it illegal in California?

Thanks!
We sure take a lot of heat. Tampering/Changing emission equipment is a violation of Federal law. Ca. contribution is the charcoal canister that captures tank fumes and different tuning on some bikes.

The F800gs meets California standards which happen to be more strict.

But there is no emission testing for motorcycles yet in Ca.

Cops usually don't do an inspection or issue tickets, but they may start.

The Feds also have a noise standard. It is not enforced in Ca. either because of difficulty for most cops to measure the noise being made.

All bikes made starting in 2013 for Ca., are required to have muffler stamp that it meets Federal noise standards. It is something Harley owners bequeathed to us. While they are checking that, who knows what they will find.

itsatdm screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 07:43 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #38
Gaspare
Almost dirt rider

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJRAT
4. TI axles - 2#s
Pls, hand-cafted or bought? (and where? )
Gaspare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #39
LJRAT
LJR Adventure Tours

Oddometer: 58
Remus & TI

U might have noticed my exhaust comments, I have a remus like this on all my BMWs but the HP2. The F800s get Remus can with QD header! Very light and clears most skid plates! My exhausts have been on the bikes since 2007 without any issues.

Axles, . my machine shop out of billet

LJRAT screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 10:20 PM
LJRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #40
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,043
I don't mean to offend or sound like a smart ass but...If the weight of the bike is an issue, are you fit, strong and within weight? It's a lot better to eat cleaner, do some running and weightlifting as opposed to spending thousands lowering the weight of your bike a few pounds..and you'll look sexy! LOL!
Liz Allen, one of the instructors at the BMW Performance center is all of 5'6", 120 pounds and she can make a GS Adventure ballet dance! Until the bike falls over, it's all in the skills, not the weight of the bike...
Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #41
mishaparem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Things to remember when saving weight:

1) Lower CG = bike is easier to control, and pick up if you drop it = you will drop the bike less often, and you will pick it up easier.

2) liquids weigh a TON, cut them down, but remember that you have to compensate for the lower fluid levels smaller oil pan = lighter bike, but you need more frequent oil changes, less fuel = lighter bike, less range etc

3) manufacturers of full production products like to make things with huge safety margins, so if you can identify the parts with over-sized margins, you can save weight there.

4) ideal shape for any pressurized capsule is a sphere, if you want to save weight on things like oil pans, you can do spherical shapes with very few sharp corners and flat areas, which will let you use thinner materials, and save some weight.

5) OEM materials are chosen based on ease of manufacturing, and are usually crap-quality, high weight, cheap.

6) cosmetics = weight, the space shuttle saved 270kg (holy shit!) by stripping the paint on the external fuel tank. fairings also weigh a lot, so minimizing them and/or using lighter materials will save you a pretty penny

There are a few things on the GS bikes that you can do to save weight or make it seem like you made the bike way lighter. The subframe on my 02 GS is way over-engineered, that thing is nowhere near the ground if you drop your bike (with the exception of the passenger pegs), so it doesn't have to support a falling bike, it just needs to support you (the rider) and any gear/passenger you decide to take. I'm drafting up a custom subframe for my bike right now. Battery and oil pan locations on my bike absolutely suck! I'm not sure how it is on the f8gs, but my pan is under the fake tank, way up there in terms of cg height, my battery is right next to it, and that airbox has a ridiculous size and wall thickness. I made a custom air box, currently looking for a lower place to put my battery, and trying to figure out what i can do to move the oil pan (which is pretty heavy even when empty) without damaging the engine. The handlebar was the quickest things to change: Home depot -> aluminum tube +sand -> bend tube -> new handlebar.

Things like a custom air box wont save you much weight, but it can add up, and make your bike sound and breathe better in the process. Things like less fluids and lower CG are riskier/harder to achieve, but more rewarding. Better materials are easy to do since you have the stock parts, but usually they cost a penny, although going from OEM steel to aluminum (where acceptable) might cost the same as buying the OEM part from the dealer, but you'd be saving weight. Chrome is ridiculously heavy, so is any kind of heat-resistant paint, automotive paint isn't as heavy, but that stuff still adds weight, if you can find a way to make unpainted parts work (brushed stainless steel, polished aluminum, bare carbon fiber, etc) then you have a winning combo, although composites such as fiberglass and carbon fiber can be manufactured with pigmentation mixed right into the resin.

Now go get your hack saw, and be creative!
mishaparem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #42
niklasthedolphin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
You might try preventing getting stuck under the bike instead?

How about engine crash bars, metal hand protectors, alu panniers and tank side bags to make space enough between the ground and the bike for your leg?

I've been down a few times in the forrests this way without any body damage.
niklasthedolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #43
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMusedRider View Post

Thanks!
Yes, I run this exact system, with a Power Commander V and Auto Tune. The only bash plate I could find which will fit off the shelf is the Black Dog Cycles one. If you want to use your existing plate, then the QD pipes will fit. The Remus ones are over diameter (bigger). If you want to know if it makes a difference....meh...all up a couple of KW, much better mid range response...sounds wicked.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #44
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
If you using the F800GS for what it was designed to do, then you don't need it to weigh any less. :) If you want to single track it, there are better bikes....but it's always a compromise.

If weight is a real issue, go buy a bike that weighs less...but I suspect once you do, you'll be wanting to add things that the GS already has and you'll be back close to where you started.

You can go and buy a titanium exhaust that I think someone said will save 20lbs but cost a lot of bucks, or you can get on a treadmill, lose 20 lbs and save the cost of a new exhaust...and probably live a little longer to boot. :)

The bulk of the weight is going to be in the motor...can't do nothing about that. There's some significant weight in the wheels and tires...not much to do there either. 4-6 gallons of gas...GS or GSA...6 lbs per gallon. Can't replace the frame...no significant savings if you lose the passenger pegs or change out the forks, bars, seat, and so on. Even if you could remove 50 lbs, that would only amount to 10% of of the bike's total weight...approximately. I can't see anyone getting close to that number.

Jump on the bike, you add 180-240 lbs, add some panniers, tents, sleeping bags, stoves, chairs, food and you're riding around with 800 +/- lbs. Lose 10% and you're riding around with 750 lbs +/-. Still a very heavy bike.

So what you really need is a number of bikes to accommodate the type of riding you're going to do....Paris to Dakar...a BMW...single track...maybe a KTM, mostly street, maybe an RT.

Best thing to do in my opinion is to come to terms with the heaviness, let the weight work for you, and become an accomplished rider within the parameters of the F800. That doesn't cost a dime and you'll have lots of fun while your at it. :)

Respectfully.....
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote