ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #61
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,976
Rainman, I started plotting out a route that ties together the new paved twisty road in LBL to 232. That should be a fun ride. I think that the new road in LBL is even more fun than 232.

I'm seeing Piney @ $12 a night, same as the other locations. Divide it up by 2 and it's $6 each. I have no problem with Piney or Turkey Bay. Was thinking along the lines of Troy, choosing something more centralized and less populated. Piney gets packed quickly, at least the electric loops that my in-laws RV on.

If we stay at Turkey Bay, would we have to pay to camp and to ride there, even if we don't ride there? That'd be bad for anyone that doesn't want to ride there. I've not ridden there before so might give the big loop a go, but I'm not a very big technical rider myself.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #62
TFB43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Turkey Bay Camping

I think you get a 3 day pass for $15. Plenty of places to camp there.
TFB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #63
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Rainman, I started plotting out a route that ties together the new paved twisty road in LBL to 232. That should be a fun ride. I think that the new road in LBL is even more fun than 232.

I'm seeing Piney @ $12 a night, same as the other locations. Divide it up by 2 and it's $6 each. I have no problem with Piney or Turkey Bay. Was thinking along the lines of Troy, choosing something more centralized and less populated. Piney gets packed quickly, at least the electric loops that my in-laws RV on.

If we stay at Turkey Bay, would we have to pay to camp and to ride there, even if we don't ride there? That'd be bad for anyone that doesn't want to ride there. I've not ridden there before so might give the big loop a go, but I'm not a very big technical rider myself.
Turkey bay is do-able on a KLR as long as it's DRY. Even the easy trail has some technical parts with things like wash outs, alot of baby heads, gravel covered up & down hills that will make you think you're riding on marbles. Most of the easy trail (marked with gold diamond) would be fun for you but, there would definately be some challenges. Add a few days of heavy rain & I wouldn't touch it with a KLR though.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #64
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
At turkey bay we could have some field events, slow race, drag race, hill climb, beer chugging contest, bikini contest....Oh wait wrong bike. I'm sure we would come up with some fun events as long as the rangers don't have a problem with it. They use to be butt heads.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #65
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
At turkey bay we could have some field events, slow race, drag race, hill climb, beer chugging contest, bikini contest....Oh wait wrong bike. I'm sure we would come up with some fun events as long as the rangers don't have a problem with it. They use to be butt heads.
Weenie bite contest????
Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #66
streetndirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Turkey bay would be great for post ride jack-assery, however Energy Lake in right in the heart of some great roads. On top of that its a great campground. They arent far enough away to matter, just saying. I have a generator that I can bring if need be, so we can have electricity anywhere. As far as rangers go, they have cut the budget so much I'm not sure there are any! HA

We had an awesome ride over there today. Made one wrong turn from plan but Ill send you to tracks or route from the GPS if you want.
streetndirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #67
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Weenie bite contest????
Crap!

I'm out!
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #68
Rainman901
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Twisty road

Quote:

I believe that it is called Lake Front Road. At least that's what Google calls it. Can't find a name on my LBL map. That is definitely a sweet road. One warning I would have regarding it. It seems that on all of those wonderful curves for some reason people in their cages or hunting trucks like to ride the edge and throw gravel right in the apex. Not the best thing to come up on while trying to enjoy a curvy road. It's still fun as hell though. I would be more than happy to do a little RECON prior to the GTG to see the status and point out any Oh Sh!t spots. At least by May all the leaves should be off the road and the corners.

I would agree that Piney can get crowded. Like I said, it's an option. It's all good.........

2012 DL650 Wee Strom,
Rainman901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #69
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
It's taking shape!

I made a call to Energy Lake. They are really great to work with. They are willing to pencil in sites for us. and if required, ALL of Loop B is available!

I'm gonna make an executive decision and call Energy Lake the official Base Camp for MidTN @ LBL .

The thing I need to do is get a head count. They are willing to bend the rules of 2 tents per site for riders coming in on a bike. Also, as a group, riders not camping at Energy Lake will be able to enter with no charge! That's huge! If you want to rough it somewhere else, stay in a motel, or ride in just for the day, you can hang with the group at the Base Camp.

Non Electric sites - $12 a night. There are 2 Electric sites in loop B, @ $24 a night. Everyone is responsible for there own expenses, remember, BYOE! If we can get 3-4 bikes at a site, that's $3 or $4 per rider each night.

Once again, Chime in with a head count. It may change, and that's no problem. Right now, I just need to tell them next week if we expect 6 bikes, or 60 bikes.

LET'S RIDE!
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #70
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

in
Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #71
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyJ650 View Post
I made a call to Energy Lake.
Excellent! That sounds Fantastic! I've edited the first post to reflect the decision! I've edited the quote of your original post, don't sue me!

Please reply with your "in" status, and the number of people, and I'll be sure to update the first post with a rolling head count.

Jeff, just you, or you and your wife?

sandalscout screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 02:24 PM
sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #72
Kev95GS
goob

Oddometer: 702
Woo Hoo!

This is on the high priority list!

Right after fixin' this.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #73
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Excellent! That sounds Fantastic! I've edited the first post to reflect the decision! I've edited the quote of your original post, don't sue me!

Please reply with your "in" status, and the number of people, and I'll be sure to update the first post with a rolling head count.

Jeff, just you, or you and your wife?
My wife too. I doubt all weekend though.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #74
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Quote:
My wife too. I doubt all weekend though.

Kev, what's broke? All I see are some scratches... you BMW guys!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #75
Kev95GS
goob

Oddometer: 702
Quote:

Kev, what's broke? All I see are some scratches... you BMW guys!
That'd be a bent telelever. The paint popped when it bent. Look around the shock mount too.

It goes along with the busted rear shock and rear rack.

It'll be a'right.