ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
81forest OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Ride Friday?

I don't know about the rest of the Northwet, but Belfair is supposed to be sunny on Friday... I will dual-sport out there from Redmond if I have to, but if anyone is trailering out to Tahuya or Walker with an extra spot for a KTM 450, I can help pay for the gas and/or ferry travels!
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,543
Good chance I might be up for a Friday run now that I am unemployed and working on being semi-retired.

Probably Walker is best for me. I have a TE450 with ORV tabs, but no Discover pass for the tow vehicle yet. Old one is expired last October and I have not missed it so far, it is cold out there! Wanting some heat around here and less snow on the trails.

I have a trailer for 2 here. I have rode Walker many times and can somewhat find my way around. Never been to Tahuya, hate the traffic that direction but I might be swayed.

So if I can get a Discover pass in time or you have one already, chances do improve.

I am working out a possible new job this week, hopefully with highly flexible schedule to go with it to accommodate my recreation agenda, so cannot yet commit, but did not want to let you hear only crickets. Will know more Thursday.

I am between Woodinville and Monroe off Hwy 522.

Mike
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 7,909
Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisn View Post
As in you might get out on the trails also? Or are you a working stiff these days?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
81forest OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Mike, thanks for the reply- I've never been up to Walker and always wanted to check it out. I will keep the options open and wait to hear from you on thursday. .

I just got my EXC legalized and could easily ride up from Redmond and meet you in your neighborhood. Otherwise, Tahuya is kind of a trek and would take about an hour and forty five minutes either by driving or ferry, but there is no snow there! Is there quite a bit of snow at Walker?

I don't have a discover pass unfortunately. Good luck with that job that accommodates weekday moto rides, sounds like living the dream.

Forest
Old 02-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Living the dream: I am still working on that. My meeting just got moved out to Thursday night.

Riding: Be sure to groc the Discover Pass rules as they are currently being interpreted for the DNR lands. The tow vehicle requires a pass and the bike - well that is what SB5391 is about. I have a factory street legal bike with plates and ORV tab. You would think that would be enough but apparently maybe not. Check out the SB5391 thread on here or at TT for more insight. Besides the cold that is a big part of why I have not been up there and have not renewed my pass yet. Waiting for sense to return to government before I continue feeding the wayward machine more. It is getting to be about the principle of the matter now and not renewing is a form of protest.:-). That and sending notice to the legislators again.

Walker will have snow at the top and sides of the trials but the lower ones should be fine, might have to turn back on some according to reports from last week. Maybe that lurker Keith will make an guest appearance. :-)
Old 02-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7MDL View Post
As in you might get out on the trails also? Or are you a working stiff these days?
I've got Friday off. I want to ride my new to me GasGas but I have some work to do first. Not a lot but must be done before ridden again.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
81forest OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yowza, I've been drooling on the GasGas bikes ever since I found all those Redbull Hard Enduro TV episodes on Youtube...

Mike, I'm totally confused about the dual registration issue. I posted the question on the SB5391 thread about just removing one's license plate while in the ORV areas until this gets sorted out. My bike has dual reg also. The Discover Pass website definitely lists an exemption for ORVs that are "required" to display an ORV tag:

"If your ORV is required to display an ORV tab, you do not need a Discover Pass for that vehicle. Generally, ORVs are non-street-legal vehicles.... Street-licensed vehicles, such as dual-sport motorcycles or four-wheel-drive vehicles, will be required to display a pass."
Old 02-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

You got it. DNR interpretation vs the intent and wording of the law that needs to be fixed. The plate removal is probably the easiest route unless registrations are checked. Also if you have a dirt bike that became street legal under SB5800 process then you are probably OK. Mine is a street legal with ORV 2nd. Fun eh? :-)
Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Can't make it. Catch up with you guys at some time in the future.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

I am definitely out Friday, Thursday meeting got moved to Friday AM.

I did however take advantage of the freed up time today and checked on the consignment sale of my RS Venture street tour bike and got $$ numbers for a 2012 Super Tenere deal. :-). Got to lay plans early. I feel one is in my future. Wifey prefers the Venture. But it does not do dirt. I prefer dirt.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
81forest OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No problem, good luck with the meeting. I'll try to post up some "neener-neener-look-how-much-fun-I-had" pics tomorrow evening... . It will be the first street-legal miles ever on my KTM, hopefully I make it back home with my new blinkers intact.

Seems like everybody loves the Tenere, could it be the ultimate GS slayer? Give us a report if you test ride one!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
81forest OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Woohoo! Didn't really get a test ride with the dual sport kit so I'm glad everything is ok so far! Next stop bremerton...
Old 02-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
Tom Edison
No hurry, no worry

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7MDL View Post
I am definitely out Friday, Thursday meeting got moved to Friday AM.

I did however take advantage of the freed up time today and checked on the consignment sale of my RS Venture street tour bike and got $$ numbers for a 2012 Super Tenere deal. :-). Got to lay plans early. I feel one is in my future. Wifey prefers the Venture. But it does not do dirt. I prefer dirt.
I hope you get a Tenere Mike . I test rode one and really liked it.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,436
We did. Keith and I rode Walker today. Had our new too us bikes dirty. Keiths camera didn't work so I didn't fall[right] in the snow.

They started sunshine clean.

Kwisn broke a nail but rode anyway, what a trooper.

When we got back we were kinda hungry so split for Big Rock and some eats. No pictures were taken on this ride[too busy riding the little YZ]. Webers was as high as we went, yep there was snow there and a slot through to ride in.

turnsleft screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 10:45 PM
turnsleft is offline   Reply With Quote