ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
this thread blows!!!

we need

despite selling the 800... I would love to see what happens with this tune
Ha ha ha.... I am surprised you waited this long........... It is good to hear from you, and I feel certain that after you see the end of this thread.... you will miss us so much....... and then you will see no other option than replace the orange wheeler.....
I am expecting a few weeks for the tax return, and then perhaps another one for the header to arrive....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #33
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
There actually IS a way to achieve this, but it could be painful....depending how well you want to perfect it.

You must build an AFR table with the proper inputs for best fuel economy (only). What those values actually are across the grid (RPM vs TPS increments) is the crap shoot. But your Tuner might have some excellent suggestions AFTER finishing his work.

Plug those numbers in the table, then flip on the AT switchand go ride the bike down the slab a fair bit to let the AT trim the fuel adjustments to hone in on the target AFR's. Then, immediately get back on Dyno to see what the AT adjustments are producing. That should tell you where, if any, you need to make any further adjustments to the AFR entries in the AFR table. And, you'll feel better about your AFR settings being proper. Remember, you are after maximum fuel economy here....but certainy don't want to be running too lean, of course. This will predominantly be your "cruise" mode.

If you get that sorted out, then it's:

Switch Off = Max Power (running Dyno produced best fuel table)

Switch On = Max Fuel Economy (running AT trims to hit AFR table)

Works great!

As I mentioned, I simpily populated my AFR table with 13.2% in every cell. Probably didn't get maximum fuel economy possible, but I had to draw a line somewhere! I was already three separate Dyno runs into my WRR project at that point, not to mention everything else. But, I was very happy with the result.

Hope all this makes since to you. The instructions that came with my PCV & AT we're rather lacking to put it kindly. The Dynojet techs (on phone) tweren't much better help at the time. They couldn't (or wouldn't) recommend AFR values to load into that Table. Took me a while to figure out the AT unit wasn't doing a darn thing while the AFR table was empty...duh, you have to give it a target to hit. Stupid Me...

HF
I would be concerned with the lag of O2 sensor in power mode...... I think Eddie gathers it is best to create optimal ops. conditions for the motor as it develops max power. I have faith he can achieve this. Then as time goes by, after saving the map (s) I will eventually stride towards a good compromise, and update this thread. I realize this might take some time, but even now, it is important to see what the a/f is on a stock bike, so we will not go beyond this lean condition, as he tunes. I do still have one question though..... Is there a pressure sensor on the bike as it sits now...??? If not then the altitude learning is limited to the backwards way of the ecu learning this from the O2, at idle, and wot. Not impossible, but not as accurate as I think I would like it..... Stock that is. That would be ok if the stock served as a wideband, but it does not. Which leaves it imperfect..... Am I missing that little critter...???

Erling
Old 02-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #34
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,680
There has to be a Manifold Air Pressure sensor for the ECU to control the fuel injection properly. Never seen an FI without it. If you can't locate it or find it in the Service Manual, call the dealer and try to order one. Just a thought.

The Wide-Band O2 sensor from Dynojet is very good & plenty fast measuring. We're you planning to use that, or the stock O2 sensor? I would think you could replace one of the stock sensors with the DJ unit. I have no idea if the stock sensor is compatible with the AT unit.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 06:42 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #35
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
There has to be a Manifold Air Pressure sensor for the ECU to control the fuel injection properly. Never seen an FI without it. If you can't locate it or find it in the Service Manual, call the dealer and try to order one. Just a thought.

HF
I agree, but have yet to find the little critter......

Erling
Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #36
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
When looking at the parts schematics there are 2 air temp sensors listed. If one is used for ambient temperature and the other is in the airstream of the intake tract a (speed/density?) formula could be used to determine the amount of air entering the engine and accomplish basically the same thing.
Or a pressure sensor could just be built inside the BKMS (or whatever they call the ECU).
Frankly though I have no idea what they are using but I suspect it's a pretty simple system.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #37
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Ha ha ha.... I am surprised you waited this long........... It is good to hear from you, and I feel certain that after you see the end of this thread.... you will miss us so much....... and then you will see no other option than replace the orange wheeler.....
I am expecting a few weeks for the tax return, and then perhaps another one for the header to arrive....
well... my first love is my 800

I may return someday...
Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #38
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
When looking at the parts schematics there are 2 air temp sensors listed. If one is used for ambient temperature and the other is in the airstream of the intake tract a (speed/density?) formula could be used to determine the amount of air entering the engine and accomplish basically the same thing.
Or a pressure sensor could just be built inside the BKMS (or whatever they call the ECU).
Frankly though I have no idea what they are using but I suspect it's a pretty simple system.
I saw the two temp sensors as well, But I think neither would be accurate enough, and a simple pressure sensor, should be found somewhere......Could very well be inside the ecu.

Erling
Old 02-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #39
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
well... my first love is my 800

I may return someday...
I am sure they are are both fantastic bikes, and many times I have wondered if I chose wisely..... The next 10 months will yield my discovery...... Cheers Ben...

Erling
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #40
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am guessing week one, two or three in March, it begins.....

Erling
Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #41
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I can't wait.
gbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #42
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just ordered the arrow headers........

Erling
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #43
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just got an e-mail from Solomoto, and unfortunately it would be 14 days at the earliest before they got to the us. F800depot, had an order they could modify, and get it here in 7, so although a little delay....should be going soon. On another note..... what happened to the site layout...... Mine looks funky colors, and layout. Did ADVR change the format...???

Erling
Old 02-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #44
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Just got an e-mail from Solomoto, and unfortunately it would be 14 days at the earliest before they got to the us. F800depot, had an order they could modify, and get it here in 7, so although a little delay....should be going soon. On another note..... what happened to the site layout...... Mine looks funky colors, and layout. Did ADVR change the format...???
At the bottom left corner you can put it back on advrider 2.0 ;)

I guess one of the admin's was drunk and tried to fix something

sucks that your order was delayed.
gbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #45
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtw View Post
At the bottom left corner you can put it back on advrider 2.0 ;)

I guess one of the admin's was drunk and tried to fix something

sucks that your order was delayed.
Ahhhhhhh... Thank you, thank you, thank you.... I was going nuts. On a positive note. F800depot states that it should be in my hands, in about 10 days, So cautiously optimistic. I spoke with Eddie, at Sisneros Speed Works, and verified a few things. There will be no ecu light on, as the stock o2 sensor is replaced. The AT comes with a plug in that fixes this. He does not really expect any loss in gas mileage, even with it jetted for power, not stock economy. It takes so much power to move the bike, and as a lean bike, not max power developing bike, needs a bigger throttle opening to get up and go, as compared with a power jetted one. I saw that when he transformed my 32 rwhp DRZ to a 55 rwhp drz. Fuel mileage went from an average 53 mpg to 58 mpg. So this will be interesting. If it works out nicely, he can offer the Dynojet, with AT, and switch, already programmed with the map we end up with, ship ready, for interested parties. I think we are still on track for week 1-2-3 in March.

Erling