User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #4456
salvey
Inventurer

Oddometer: 8
Boeshield

I have only used aerosol spray; you can get it to anywhere that way, but you do get overspray. Before it congeals, you can wipe off excess. I believe that it comes with a tube that fits in the spray nozel, but you know how long those last...
salvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #4457
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajg View Post
because i'm on the northern end of the doodsakker in angola, and the tide comes to the base of the dunes... and i was riding along the base of said dunes...

thanks for the suggestions i will pull it apart and have a look.
Take the seat off and check the fuel pump power connection on the top of the tank. You may have corroded this one enough that your fuel pump won't power up.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #4458
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
New bars

I bought a set of Easton exp bars that I am going to put on with heated grips, and some cycra probends but have a few questions
I got the glue on style hand Warner's for under the grips, I hear I should heat srink the clutch side bar first since its aluminium. Any other tips for installing these.
I got rental half waffle firm grips, and just today found out that the stock BMW grip has a shoulder that overlaps the throttle tube. What should I do here. Des it matter that the new grips won't over lap that little shoulder
The stock bars have holes drilled for some little brass alignment pins in the abs switch and the multi switch. Those with new bars did u drill holes in your new bars or get rid of the pins.
Lastly I have the centre reach and right fit cycra mounts. Has anyone used either without too much of a pita with the brake lines and mc.

Thanks
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #4459
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,305
Even two layers of heatshrink didn't do much to help with my clutch side heated grips. Rescue Tape (or similar silicone self-sealing tape) seems to work quite a bit better.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #4460
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post

I got the glue on style hand Warner's for under the grips, I hear I should heat srink the clutch side bar first since its aluminium. Any other tips for installing these.
Take a file to the throttle tube, as the locking pattern that BMW put on there for the OEM grips will screw up how the grip heater sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
The stock bars have holes drilled for some little brass alignment pins in the abs switch and the multi switch. Those with new bars did u drill holes in your new bars or get rid of the pins.

Pull the locator pins from the controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Even two layers of heatshrink didn't do much to help with my clutch side heated grips. Rescue Tape (or similar silicone self-sealing tape) seems to work quite a bit better.
+1

When you're done, make sure everthing is OK when the bars go from lock to lock.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #4461
noisytoys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
as well as installing my Touratech steel subframe/pannier racks and GPS mount/cradle/wiring.

Michael
If you are planning an Xtank in the near future, the TT frame lacks the threads for the US charcoal- canister which is used by Erik to attach the Tank, if so have a Welder put in some steel bushings at the same spot to be threaded later.
noisytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #4462
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 774
advford, check out curry hunt on facebook, he and his wife on a couple of xchallenges..

Rockydog woofs the isles, British isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #4463
wah64apache
Older Than Dirt

Oddometer: 64
07 XCHALLENGE pumping oil into the air box

Hi Folks;
I am a week away from pulling the engine on my XCHALLENGE (SWMBO) will be in the UK for week. The bike has been pumping oil from the crankcase into the air box. Lots of oil. It isn't overfilling. Did the compression and leak down tests and there is definitely something wrong in the top end.
Does anyone know where I can get a top end gasket kit other than BMW? I don't want to drain my life's savings.
Thanks.

Cheers, Frank
In Sunny but cold Arizona (60's F)
wah64apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #4464
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by wah64apache View Post
Hi Folks;
I am a week away from pulling the engine on my XCHALLENGE (SWMBO) will be in the UK for week.
Try motorworks

The Jester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #4465
BigHairyYorkshireman
n00b

Thumb

Quote:
Hi Folks;
I am a week away from pulling the engine on my XCHALLENGE (SWMBO) will be in the UK for week. The bike has been pumping oil from the crankcase into the air box. Lots of oil. It isn't overfilling. Did the compression and leak down tests and there is definitely something wrong in the top end.
Does anyone know where I can get a top end gasket kit other than BMW? I don't want to drain my life's savings.
Thanks.

Cheers, Frank
In Sunny but cold Arizona (60's F)
I second the Motorworks suggestion. They are nothing short of brilliant to deal with. I pass by their premises most days, so if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.
BigHairyYorkshireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #4466
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Old Bars

Is there any demand on the stock bars for the X bikes? I just swapped mine out but cant see asking 1/2 of new for bars. But are there even aftermarket options for bars with the threaded ends?
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #4467
wah64apache
Older Than Dirt

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairyYorkshireman View Post
I second the Motorworks suggestion. They are nothing short of brilliant to deal with. I pass by their premises most days, so if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.
I'll take you up on that Yorkshire Man. If you would check if they have or can get a top end Athena, or similar quality top end gasket kit for an 07 XChallenge ans how much it will cost and time to get it I appreciate it about 5 or 6 pints worth the next time I'm in Jolly Ole. Cheers, Frank
wah64apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #4468
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Marc, should I use rescue tape under the Oxford heated grips as well or it just for the under grip heaters?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #4469
Pejie
old rider

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajg View Post
as the title suggests...

went for a ride in the surf yesterday morning, then hosed the bike off with fresh water and let it sit in the sun to dry overnight - i didn't try start it again straight after i washed it. oops.

today... she doesn't want to play.

ignition was definately off although i left the key in it. there are no after-market (e.g. heated grip) accessories.

i switched the ignition to "on" and the LED voltmeter read 12.2. the starter turned but wouldn't kick over.

gave it three runs down a decent hill to try clutch-start and got the voltmeter to read 12.4v for a moment but she still wouldn't go. also hooked up the home-made jumper cables (anderson plug mounted on the steering column for ease of access...) to an un-installed quad bike battery but this resulted in the on-board voltmeter dropping to 11.8v.

the battery was installed 22/10/12 - new shorai lithium, 14AH. connections were tight & clean.

i pulled the touratech tank off and put my multimeter on the battery and it reads 13.6v so it seems the battery is fine.

i tried starting with the kick-stand both up and down, with it in neutral the whole time. i sprayed the shit out of the switch with WD40 also. so i don't think it is the side-stand-switch problem.

the fact that it turns over but won't kick even though the battery seems fine almost feels like the kill switch is engaged, although i obviously checked it. is it possible there is water in the switch and this is preventing it starting?

i pulled all the fuses and checked these & they are fine. headlight comes on as per usual, and the dash-computer does its usual routine.

sitting writing this, i can't recall hearing the fuel pump spool up, so i might have a quick look at this... also i haven't plugged in the GS911 which is also on the cards for the afternoon.

thanks in advance.
dave
Had a similar, but different problem with mine after washing. Started & idled but as soon as throttle was cracked open it would splutter & eventually die. Fuel pressure was dropping every time throttle got opened & come back up when throttle closed. Dud fuel pump or blocked line.

After a week of pissing about on & off ended up being the plug for the side stand switch just under the seat. Seems if there is a fault there it cuts out the fuel pump. I figure the extra vibration when cracking the throttle caused the plug to partially fail

Thought it was worth a post as mine was after water & affected the fuel pump
www.steelpony.com.au
Pejie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #4470
BigHairyYorkshireman
n00b

Quote:
I'll take you up on that Yorkshire Man. If you would check if they have or can get a top end Athena, or similar quality top end gasket kit for an 07 XChallenge ans how much it will cost and time to get it I appreciate it about 5 or 6 pints worth the next time I'm in Jolly Ole. Cheers, Frank
Hi. Their current list of engine gaskets can be seen at http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=4&NU=15&M=75&Ct=BA&spPage=2 but I have also contacted them to pass on your enquiry, so I will let you know what they say.
I also noticed that Athena website indicates free delivery within Europe for orders over 50 Euros, so I've emailed them to ask for the top end gasket kit set part number too.

Cheers,
Pat
PS I drink Theakstons Old Peculier - 6 pints of that would sedate a small horse
BigHairyYorkshireman is offline   Reply With Quote