Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #16036
Mur
Wheee!

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I pulled a cheatgrass seed out of my recently purchased CRF float bowl the other day. How that could work its way inside I have no idea, but I like running a filter, and carry an extra bec ause sometimes they break.

Maybe the PO installed the grass seed as some performance mod???
The grass seed mod is one of the best performance mods i've done to my old CRF..
Mur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #16037
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
I've seen that happen on quite a few bikes.

Flies in when filling gas. Not sure how it gets past the petcock filter but those things aren't very dependable.

Actually, the last time that happened was in Guatemala when a guy I was traveling with had his KLR start acting up, sure enough a little seed of some sort stuck in his pilot jet.

Hence the reason I run filters. Cheap insurance and never had an issue with the filter itself. I'm sure you guys are stick of me quoting mileage, but I've never had an issue of this sort running a filter, or had to service the filter itself.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #16038
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Fork service

Couldn't help myself. Doing the Borynack fork mods. Hopefully it works. Waiting for seals and shims.

mdlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #16039
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlak View Post
Couldn't help myself. Doing the Borynack fork mods. Hopefully it works. Waiting for seals and shims.

Trust me, you'll be insanely happy...
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #16040
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Hence the reason I run filters. Cheap insurance and never had an issue with the filter itself. I'm sure you guys are stick of me quoting mileage, but I've never had an issue of this sort running a filter, or had to service the filter itself.

I'm not against running a fuel filter, but when I do it's a big one that will pass fuel even if it's fuel of junk. I don't like those tiny metal mesh ones that people use, you can't see when it's clogged and it doesn't take much to clog it, just a few drops of water can clog it and you'll never see it.

Big filters for me if I run them:

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #16041
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
When the happiness wears off from the fork tuning, do the shock and it will all come back again. I had to wait a couple years between doing the front and rear so that I could fully exploit my happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlak View Post
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #16042
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

I think rebuilding the head is for the advanced students. I sent mine to XRSonly. Might as well make the valves bigger while you are at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
Old post but great for people like me , if you're still around can you go on to the next part of taking the top off and replacing the usual parts (for dummies) because I'm pretty sure my right intake valve has seen better days. It is almost all the way backed up on the adjustment so much that I'm running out of adjustment which can only be bad right?.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #16043
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
When the happiness wears off from the fork tuning, do the shock and it will all come back again. I had to wait a couple years between doing the front and rear so that I could fully exploit my happiness.
Yea, i never considered that they would not be done at the same time...

Thats like a chick getting only one tit enlarged... certain things are meant to be done in pairs!
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #16044
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

I wouldn't run one unless it was large and transparent as well. But beware, I did buy a filter at the local auto store and it broke the first time out; very brittle plastic. I would have had a long walk home had I not had some spare line, thanks to the freebees from Motion Pro at the Nevada 200 Trail Ride, which is coming up btw.

Anyone going to be there? Nevada 200? Anyone?

Also, those 90 degree filters can be handy for making the routing cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I'm not against running a fuel filter, but when I do it's a big one that will pass fuel even if it's fuel of junk. I don't like those tiny metal mesh ones that people use, you can't see when it's clogged and it doesn't take much to clog it, just a few drops of water can clog it and you'll never see it.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #16045
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Yea, i never considered that they would not be done at the same time...

Thats like a chick getting only one tit enlarged... certain things are meant to be done in pairs!
You must be a bit more pro-active than myself. The fork mod happened due to a needed seal replacement. I rode that single -titted pig for quite a while before my back said, "do the rear, idiot."

Had I known, I wouldn't have put it off.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #16046
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Larryboy,

pls give a link to your build-thread of that Beemer? If you already did I missed it, and if you didn't create such a thread I'd feel less stupid but more surprised
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #16047
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Larryboy,

pls give a link to your build-thread of that Beemer? If you already did I missed it, and if you didn't create such a thread I'd feel less stupid but more surprised

CR500 frame, XR650R forks and front wheel:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726304

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #16048
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
Old post but great for people like me , if you're still around can you go on to the next part of taking the top off and replacing the usual parts (for dummies) because I'm pretty sure my right intake valve has seen better days. It is almost all the way backed up on the adjustment so much that I'm running out of adjustment which can only be bad right?.

Top Overhaul Service for Noobies

- Take tank & side-plastics off bike and clean all superbly
- Load bike on loadbed of truck and secure properly
- Drive to reputable bike workshop, unload and tell them to do a top overhaul

That was 4fun

Nope can do I'm afraid, too many traps with disastrous consequences if executed wrong. My best advice is to put your printed Service Manual (you do have this don't you?) on your toilet, and read from A to Z those parts which are applicable. Then, if still in doubt, read it all again, and then decide for yourself if you want to tackle this.
Mind, if you work as neat as Mdlak does (check his pic of his forks above) then by all means give it a try, if you get stuck have it finished by a friend or the above mentioned workshop. However, I think one needs to understand the workings of a 4stroke like blindfolded, and if you cannot dream it then maybe reconsider the DIY route.

If your adjusters are backed up all the way you better start making plans now, as yes indeed, that is a bad thing.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #16049
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Top Overhaul Service for Noobies

- Take tank & side-plastics off bike and clean all superbly
- Load bike on loadbed of truck and secure properly
- Drive to reputable bike workshop, unload and tell them to do a top overhaul

That was 4fun

Nope can do I'm afraid, too many traps with disastrous consequences if executed wrong. My best advice is to put your printed Service Manual (you do have this don't you?) on your toilet, and read from A to Z those parts which are applicable. Then, if still in doubt, read it all again, and then decide for yourself if you want to tackle this.
Mind, if you work as neat as Mdlak does (check his pic of his forks above) then by all means give it a try, if you get stuck have it finished by a friend or the above mentioned workshop. However, I think one needs to understand the workings of a 4stroke like blindfolded, and if you cannot dream it then maybe reconsider the DIY route.

If your adjusters are backed up all the way you better start making plans now, as yes indeed, that is a bad thing.

Haha thanks for the advice and yes of course i have it : )
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #16050
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post

You guys must have REALLY bad fuel down there. Never had one go dirty and need changing. I also never had water in my fuel. I know somtimes it's filled that way, but I also try to keep my bike upright in water =)

I guess a day may come where I might change my opinion when I run into an issue. Till then, I rock little filters!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote