Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Epic Ride Reports
User Name
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Markaso del Norte OP
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Victoria BC Canada
Oddometer: 45
Victoria BC to Yukon, Alaska, and back

Hi All,
I have decided to finally post my trip report, which was up to Northern BC, Yukon, and Alaska, summer 2012.
I had planned on doing this months ago, but life gets in the way. And procrastination!
I had been dreaming of this trip for years, and started to firm up a plan. The stars were beggining to align, and it looked like I might be able to make this happen.
A bit about myself: I am 52 years old, have been riding bikes since I was a kid. i didn't get my road license until I turned 40. I have been riding as much as possible ever since.
I live on Vancouver Island, I grew up in Vancouver BC.
My bike is a 2007 Suzuki Vstrom DL650. I bought it new. It had about 40,000km on the odometer, when I started this trip.
Me playin on the patio

I had started adding much needed farlkles to the Wee, to ensure it was ready for the pounding, and mileage, it would see. I added a new chain and sprockets, new centerstand, new radiator guard, new Givi engine bars, and new Heidenaus front and back. Full service was done prior to trip as well. this ened up eating up a lot of my trip budget, but was had to be done. The bike felt way different, and heavier! I hoped she could handle all that extra weight climbing mountain passes.
I had previously done several week long trips on the Wee, as well as my pre Wee bikes. I had all the camping gear I needed, (almost), so I was reasonably prepared for a two week adventure.
After the new tires were installed, I took the bike for arideon a hot day in July to break in the tires.
I put on over 100km to scrub them in...
new back tire;

new front tire;

I tried to find a bit of road, and a bit of offroad for the new rubber;

And take in some scenery of the west coast;

After a successful ride with the new tires and farkles, it was time to head home and plan some more!
I had been working on convincing my wonderful wife that I was actually doing this trip, and with some negotiating, and a little begging, she finally relented.
With two weeks off work, and a promise to my wife, that I would do my best to return in one piece, and hopefully enough money in the bank, things were starting to come together!
My Plan was to head north from Nanaimo, take the ferry to Horseshoe bay to the mainland, then up hwy 99 to Whistler/blackcomb. Up to Lillooet, then up hwy 97 up to Prince George, and continue on to Hyder, Alaska. From Hyder up the Cassiar hwy up into the Yukon. (with a side trip to Telegragh Creek). From there on my route was to be determined.
I was not using a GPS, just maps. All part of the adventure.
The rest of July was spent picking up a few camping supplies like dehydrated food, yummm...some new thermal underwear, (just in case), stove fuel, and I also treated the Wee to a new Moto Pak tank bag, to match my five year old saddlebags.
The August long weekend (BC day) was fast approaching, and that was when I decided to start the trip.
finally the friday before the long weekend came, and I finished up work, and headed home to do some last minute packing.
After loading up the bike, and saying goodbye to my wife and trusty dog, it was time to get this party started!
The first leg of trip was a short blast up the Island hwy, to my brother in laws place, where I would crash for the night, and be 15 minutes away from the ferry terminal to catch an early ferry to really begin the trip.
I was greeted by my brother in law, with a beer in hand for me as soon as I got off the bike. He is a rider too, as was very envious of my trip. (He had just bought his place and would be broke for the foreseeable future.)
One beer turned into far to many, and after BBQ burgers, and jamming all night, next thing I new, it was way after 2:00am!
After about 4 hours of sleep, i woke up to my phone alarm, and luckily the excitement of my trip outweighed the hangover I had.
My bro even got up and made coffe, and breakfast!
I said my good byes, and headed down the back roads to the ferry terminal with a foggy head.
I made it to the ferry terminal in no time, and did not have to wait long until my ride off the Island arrived.
There were lots of bikes on the ferry, as it was a long weekend.

To be continued....

Markaso del Norte screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 04:47 PM
Markaso del Norte is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015