ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #1396
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives
 
DangerMoney's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Escondido, CA, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Local Group
Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyrhythmFX View Post
In the case of the Mesa Recto it helps a bit. They have a fizzy distortion to them so the more you can tame that down, the better IMO. Some people like it, some don't. EQ settings have to do with it as well but with the Mesa Rectifier series they all the a similar distortion characteristic. Even with lower gain levels set, the amp still has a bit of "fizz" even if you lower the guitar's volume. Kind of the nature of the beast I suppose. On the flip-side, they have more distortion on tap than almost any other amp.
Amen Brother. I had a Mesa Road King II and the fizziness drove me nuts because I could never get rid of it. I ended up replacing it with a Mesa Mark V.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie2wheels
Even so I wouldn't sit there like a shag on a rock, waiting to be punched up the arse into next week by the next negligent drongo who happens to come along.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #1397
Chuck289
Air cooled
 
Chuck289's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: SF Bay, California
Oddometer: 2,230
Wow that is a gorgeous Esquire!
__________________
-Charles
"This is an environment of welcoming, and you should just get the hell out of here" - Michael Scott
Chuck289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #1398
Crocker
just passing through
 
Crocker's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 3,304
Finally scored on Craigslist. 2011 Fender classic series '50s stratocaster in surf green. Had a chance to buy one 3 years ago, passed on it and always regretted it. Been keeping an eye out for a nice used one ever since but they don't turn up often and usually people want $500 for one. This popped up on Craigslist yesterday for $250 and an hour later it was mine. Missing the Tremolo arm, needs a quick truss rod adjustment and I might raise the pickups a little but other than that it doesn't even look like it's been played.

Might be time to part with my Squier classic vibe 60's strat, bit of redundancy between these 2 and I'm finding the soft "V" neck to be more comfortable.

Crocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #1399
motojunky
Professional Idiot
 
motojunky's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: North East, MD
Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker View Post
Finally scored on Craigslist. 2011 Fender classic series '50s stratocaster in surf green. Had a chance to buy one 3 years ago, passed on it and always regretted it. Been keeping an eye out for a nice used one ever since but they don't turn up often and usually people want $500 for one. This popped up on Craigslist yesterday for $250 and an hour later it was mine. Missing the Tremolo arm, needs a quick truss rod adjustment and I might raise the pickups a little but other than that it doesn't even look like it's been played.

Might be time to part with my Squier classic vibe 60's strat, bit of redundancy between these 2 and I'm finding the soft "V" neck to be more comfortable.

Hah! I was eying that myself.

I'm just starting out with the guitar and am currently using a loaner strat copy. It's hard for a newbie to tell what's good and what's not, but this one caught my eye. I'll keep looking...
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #1400
BHW
Beastly Adventurer
 
BHW's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker View Post
Finally scored on Craigslist. 2011 Fender classic series '50s stratocaster in surf green. Had a chance to buy one 3 years ago, passed on it and always regretted it. Been keeping an eye out for a nice used one ever since but they don't turn up often and usually people want $500 for one. This popped up on Craigslist yesterday for $250 and an hour later it was mine. Missing the Tremolo arm, needs a quick truss rod adjustment and I might raise the pickups a little but other than that it doesn't even look like it's been played.

Might be time to part with my Squier classic vibe 60's strat, bit of redundancy between these 2 and I'm finding the soft "V" neck to be more comfortable.


Nice find!
__________________
2003 Aprilia Tuono
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency!
BHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #1401
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,112
Love the color.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #1402
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,423
+1

Hard to beat Surf Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Love the color.
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #1403
Chuck289
Air cooled
 
Chuck289's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: SF Bay, California
Oddometer: 2,230
Thats the exact strat I want! Surf green and everything. Nice!!
__________________
-Charles
"This is an environment of welcoming, and you should just get the hell out of here" - Michael Scott
Chuck289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #1404
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 7,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
What do you mean by headroom? Are you talking tonal or just raw gain?

I actually have a Mesa rectifier cabinet, http://www.americanguitarandband.com...-4JB-4x12.html (yeah how long have I been carting that around)

However the confluence of money and need to grab a Mesa head to go with it hasn't happened considering that its been like 9 years since I played a gig.
If you want some serious amp-age without breaking the bank call my buddy Dan. If you're inclined to build he can hook you up there as well. I just built his MarCh (JCM800 and Champ sections) all point to point, boutique components, etc. He'll build you anything from a Champ to a Dumble.

http://www.fydamps.com/

Here's pic of my completed amp minutes after making the final solder connection.

__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #1405
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
If you want some serious amp-age without breaking the bank call my buddy Dan. If you're inclined to build he can hook you up there as well. I just built his MarCh (JCM800 and Champ sections) all point to point, boutique components, etc. He'll build you anything from a Champ to a Dumble.

http://www.fydamps.com/

Here's pic of my completed amp minutes after making the final solder connection.


I have serious ampage, a 120W tube is no laughing matter (in volume or raw weight ) I want the mesa as kind of a bucket list thing. Like I said I'm not gigging, so I don't have any need for top shelf gear, I can get the cops called on me with my current rig. Using my Vox valver (modeling practice amp) as a pre-preamp through the beast gets me anywhere I need to go tonally.

...and it sounds like the wrath of god when its cranked.


I will get a hold of your guy, because I need a set of tubes and the bias specs. If I can do a little hotrodding along the way, all the better.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #1406
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 7,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
I have serious ampage, a 120W tube is no laughing matter (in volume or raw weight ) I want the mesa as kind of a bucket list thing. Like I said I'm not gigging, so I don't have any need for top shelf gear, I can get the cops called on me with my current rig. Using my Vox valver (modeling practice amp) as a pre-preamp through the beast gets me anywhere I need to go tonally.

...and it sounds like the wrath of god when its cranked.


I will get a hold of your guy, because I need a set of tubes and the bias specs. If I can do a little hotrodding along the way, all the better.
Like you, I don't need a huge amp, but I wanted vintage tone with some serious headroom. This MarCh will get it done and it's in a package that is lightweight and small. JCM800 power and loudness or Champ tone machine. Awesome. I'll add a Neodymium speaker at some point and lighten it up by 50%.

Tell Dan Keith's buddy from NY sent you. He'll appreciate it.
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #1407
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Like you, I don't need a huge amp, but I wanted vintage tone with some serious headroom. This MarCh will get it done and it's in a package that is lightweight and small. JCM800 power and loudness or Champ tone machine. Awesome. I'll add a Neodymium speaker at some point and lighten it up by 50%.

Tell Dan Keith's buddy from NY sent you. He'll appreciate it.
Will do.

Headroom isn't a big deal in my case, I very, very, rarely ever play totally clean, and most of that is on an acoustic.

I just go done doing the intonation on my B.C Rich to be baritone, I'm having a lot of fun with a A-E-A-D-G-C and wrath of god level volumes at the moment.

.....I should have waited on my PRS and got the SE 7 String that is supposed to be out soon.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #1408
josjor
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The largest geological formation in the U.S.A.
Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
I just go done doing the intonation on my B.C Rich to be baritone, I'm having a lot of fun with a A-E-A-D-G-C and wrath of god level volumes at the moment.
If you do alternate tunings, you should really check one of these out. Good enough playing guitar, but the big deal is that your intonation is always perfect, regardless as to the tuning. Easy to switch back and forth on tunings.
__________________
Neutiquam erro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #1409
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: New Hartford, CT
Oddometer: 156
Dammit! Just when I thought I had enough guitars!
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #1410
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 7,549
Gibson's Robot tuning system has been doing this for a few years now (since 07?). It's really not caught on much
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014