Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #1396
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyrhythmFX View Post
In the case of the Mesa Recto it helps a bit. They have a fizzy distortion to them so the more you can tame that down, the better IMO. Some people like it, some don't. EQ settings have to do with it as well but with the Mesa Rectifier series they all the a similar distortion characteristic. Even with lower gain levels set, the amp still has a bit of "fizz" even if you lower the guitar's volume. Kind of the nature of the beast I suppose. On the flip-side, they have more distortion on tap than almost any other amp.
Amen Brother. I had a Mesa Road King II and the fizziness drove me nuts because I could never get rid of it. I ended up replacing it with a Mesa Mark V.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #1397
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,230
Wow that is a gorgeous Esquire!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #1398
Crocker
just passing through

Oddometer: 3,304
Finally scored on Craigslist. 2011 Fender classic series '50s stratocaster in surf green. Had a chance to buy one 3 years ago, passed on it and always regretted it. Been keeping an eye out for a nice used one ever since but they don't turn up often and usually people want $500 for one. This popped up on Craigslist yesterday for $250 and an hour later it was mine. Missing the Tremolo arm, needs a quick truss rod adjustment and I might raise the pickups a little but other than that it doesn't even look like it's been played.

Might be time to part with my Squier classic vibe 60's strat, bit of redundancy between these 2 and I'm finding the soft "V" neck to be more comfortable.

Crocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #1399
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker View Post
Finally scored on Craigslist. 2011 Fender classic series '50s stratocaster in surf green. Had a chance to buy one 3 years ago, passed on it and always regretted it. Been keeping an eye out for a nice used one ever since but they don't turn up often and usually people want $500 for one. This popped up on Craigslist yesterday for $250 and an hour later it was mine. Missing the Tremolo arm, needs a quick truss rod adjustment and I might raise the pickups a little but other than that it doesn't even look like it's been played.

Might be time to part with my Squier classic vibe 60's strat, bit of redundancy between these 2 and I'm finding the soft "V" neck to be more comfortable.

Hah! I was eying that myself.

I'm just starting out with the guitar and am currently using a loaner strat copy. It's hard for a newbie to tell what's good and what's not, but this one caught my eye. I'll keep looking...
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #1400
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker View Post

Nice find!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #1401
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,112
Love the color.
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #1402
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,423
+1

Hard to beat Surf Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Love the color.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #1403
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,230
Thats the exact strat I want! Surf green and everything. Nice!!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #1404
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
What do you mean by headroom? Are you talking tonal or just raw gain?

I actually have a Mesa rectifier cabinet, http://www.americanguitarandband.com...-4JB-4x12.html (yeah how long have I been carting that around)

However the confluence of money and need to grab a Mesa head to go with it hasn't happened considering that its been like 9 years since I played a gig.
If you want some serious amp-age without breaking the bank call my buddy Dan. If you're inclined to build he can hook you up there as well. I just built his MarCh (JCM800 and Champ sections) all point to point, boutique components, etc. He'll build you anything from a Champ to a Dumble.

http://www.fydamps.com/

Here's pic of my completed amp minutes after making the final solder connection.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #1405
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
If you want some serious amp-age without breaking the bank call my buddy Dan. If you're inclined to build he can hook you up there as well. I just built his MarCh (JCM800 and Champ sections) all point to point, boutique components, etc. He'll build you anything from a Champ to a Dumble.

http://www.fydamps.com/

Here's pic of my completed amp minutes after making the final solder connection.

I have serious ampage, a 120W tube is no laughing matter (in volume or raw weight ) I want the mesa as kind of a bucket list thing. Like I said I'm not gigging, so I don't have any need for top shelf gear, I can get the cops called on me with my current rig. Using my Vox valver (modeling practice amp) as a pre-preamp through the beast gets me anywhere I need to go tonally.

...and it sounds like the wrath of god when its cranked.

I will get a hold of your guy, because I need a set of tubes and the bias specs. If I can do a little hotrodding along the way, all the better.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #1406
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
I have serious ampage, a 120W tube is no laughing matter (in volume or raw weight ) I want the mesa as kind of a bucket list thing. Like I said I'm not gigging, so I don't have any need for top shelf gear, I can get the cops called on me with my current rig. Using my Vox valver (modeling practice amp) as a pre-preamp through the beast gets me anywhere I need to go tonally.

...and it sounds like the wrath of god when its cranked.

I will get a hold of your guy, because I need a set of tubes and the bias specs. If I can do a little hotrodding along the way, all the better.
Like you, I don't need a huge amp, but I wanted vintage tone with some serious headroom. This MarCh will get it done and it's in a package that is lightweight and small. JCM800 power and loudness or Champ tone machine. Awesome. I'll add a Neodymium speaker at some point and lighten it up by 50%.

Tell Dan Keith's buddy from NY sent you. He'll appreciate it.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #1407
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Like you, I don't need a huge amp, but I wanted vintage tone with some serious headroom. This MarCh will get it done and it's in a package that is lightweight and small. JCM800 power and loudness or Champ tone machine. Awesome. I'll add a Neodymium speaker at some point and lighten it up by 50%.

Tell Dan Keith's buddy from NY sent you. He'll appreciate it.
Will do.

Headroom isn't a big deal in my case, I very, very, rarely ever play totally clean, and most of that is on an acoustic.

I just go done doing the intonation on my B.C Rich to be baritone, I'm having a lot of fun with a A-E-A-D-G-C and wrath of god level volumes at the moment.

.....I should have waited on my PRS and got the SE 7 String that is supposed to be out soon.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #1408
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
I just go done doing the intonation on my B.C Rich to be baritone, I'm having a lot of fun with a A-E-A-D-G-C and wrath of god level volumes at the moment.
If you do alternate tunings, you should really check one of these out. Good enough playing guitar, but the big deal is that your intonation is always perfect, regardless as to the tuning. Easy to switch back and forth on tunings.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #1409
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Dammit! Just when I thought I had enough guitars!
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #1410
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Gibson's Robot tuning system has been doing this for a few years now (since 07?). It's really not caught on much

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: