Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #2461
Macroenie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacematic View Post
Hello,
nice yo meet you all guys!
I am tipying from Italy and I would like to know what is needed to fit an HP2 Sport dash on a Megamoto, a part from the dash of course!
Do I need to buy a cable wiring or modify the existing one?
Thanks a lot for your help!
The lcd alone will not work, you will need the cable and switch to operate it.
But...the most important thing is that you will need something to align the different mounting holes when you remove the old dash. See my pics here
Maybe you can drill corresponding holes in the standard mounting plate but then you will also need to enlarge the gap for the connector because the lcd got two connectors on the back.

So look for either a set that has it all or be prepared to do some modifications. Good luck.
Macroenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #2462
Spacematic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroenie View Post
The lcd alone will not work, you will need the cable and switch to operate it.
But...the most important thing is that you will need something to align the different mounting holes when you remove the old dash. See my pics here
Maybe you can drill corresponding holes in the standard mounting plate but then you will also need to enlarge the gap for the connector because the lcd got two connectors on the back.

So look for either a set that has it all or be prepared to do some modifications. Good luck.
Hello! Thanks very much for your message and informations!
I checked your pictures and I really like the way you fit the dash on your bike!
To be honest, I am more concerned about the electrical side of the modification: where and how did you get hold of the cable to connect the dash?
You talk about a switch to operate it: what is it exactly?
Also I read somewhere that you need to go to the dealer to get the dash programmed, is that corrct?
Sorry for the large amount of questions, but I would like to be aware of everything I would need to do before taking a decision!
Cheers mate!
Spacematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #2463
Macroenie
Gnarly Adventurer

This 2D dash is a normal retro-fit product for various bmw models like k1300r.
I bought the whole package from a member here on advrider so all was included.
Switch and cables can be bought from BMW, it plugs straight in so its easy swapping.

The only 'problem' is to get the correct mileage on the dash, this can only be done at a BMW dealer.
I have yet to go and let them sync it, now it is blinking because the mileage on dash is a little lower than what I have on the bike. It does count up though, but it blinks. Also in my case the abs light is on because it came from an abs fitted megamoto. I just covered it with a little black piece of tape
Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #2464
Spacematic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
This 2D dash is a normal retro-fit product for various bmw models like k1300r.
I bought the whole package from a member here on advrider so all was included.
Switch and cables can be bought from BMW, it plugs straight in so its easy swapping.

The only 'problem' is to get the correct mileage on the dash, this can only be done at a BMW dealer.
I have yet to go and let them sync it, now it is blinking because the mileage on dash is a little lower than what I have on the bike. It does count up though, but it blinks. Also in my case the abs light is on because it came from an abs fitted megamoto. I just covered it with a little black piece of tape
Mate, thanks a lot for your message.I am a bit worried for the cable and the switch.
I mean: does every bike comes with the same main cable and from there there is an "add-on" cable that can be used for all the models?
My worries is to not be able to interface my cable (once removed the original dash) with the 2D dash
This is because here in Italy, whenever you go to a dealer and ask for something "unusual", they just scroll their shoulder and say: "No mate, you can't do it"!
...but I really like the look of the HPS dash!
Spacematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #2465
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
From this angle somewhat hard to spot

but............wait for it......

....what do we have here.....

.....and being a twin boxer......

....there is another one on the other side.....

full article here, should bring about 170 rwhp

probably kills the ability for use at a nice curvy road but for the autobahn or just stop-light sprints it might just work.

lets hear your votes please
Definitely gonna be some cornering issues there!

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #2466
GSMarc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
This is because here in Italy, whenever you go to a dealer and ask for something "unusual", they just scroll their shoulder and say: "No mate, you can't do it".
Another guy did it also in Portugal.
I think that dealers are now more aware of all the electronic settings than at the time when the HP2s were built.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1418
2005 HP2E
2005 HP2E SM Prototype
GSMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #2467
Macroenie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Mate, thanks a lot for your message.I am a bit worried for the cable and the switch.
I mean: does every bike comes with the same main cable and from there there is an "add-on" cable that can be used for all the models?
My worries is to not be able to interface my cable (once removed the original dash) with the 2D dash
This is because here in Italy, whenever you go to a dealer and ask for something "unusual", they just scroll their shoulder and say: "No mate, you can't do it"!
...but I really like the look of the HPS dash!
No problem, just trying to help.

If you are able to get hold of the cables (check link below) its just a matter of following the instructions on the cd that comes with it. Remove headlight fairing to gain access to the wiring/connectors, disconnect current connector from dash, remove dash, connect then new wiring and install dash and switch. Test if dash works. Reinstall headlight fairing. Go for a ride.

I searched and found this for you, below the diagram are the partnumbers, scroll all the way down as the switch is part 7 mentioned below the infra-red stuff (parts 5&6) which you probably don't need.

If you are going to install it, will you get a new unit? If new then you might need to go to BMW dealer to pair it to your bike so all the functions will work via the switch. If they (Italian BMW) cannot help you then just ride to Germany and get it done there
Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #2468
Macroenie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMarc View Post
Another guy did it also in Portugal.
I think that dealers are now more aware of all the electronic settings than at the time when the HP2s were built.
Guess where my unit came from....
Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #2469
Macroenie
Gnarly Adventurer

Funny people those Germans

Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #2470
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,763
Wow!

I dont know if I would have made a hack out of a MegaMoto, but he did a hell of a job! Would love to see more pics though.

The "motorrad" only made a limited number of MM's, so it is, no doubt, a rare bike. That being said, it baffles me that MM owners would alter the bike at all- be it the dash or a sidecar!
I, too thought of replacing the ugly (IMO), headlight assembly with two led projector lights and fabbing a new faring, but I think it would deter the value of this rare bike...
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #2471
ViperJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs View Post
I dont know if I would have made a hack out of a MegaMoto, but he did a hell of a job! Would love to see more pics though.

The "motorrad" only made a limited number of MM's, so it is, no doubt, a rare bike. That being said, it baffles me that MM owners would alter the bike at all- be it the dash or a sidecar!
I, too thought of replacing the ugly (IMO), headlight assembly with two led projector lights and fabbing a new faring, but I think it would deter the value of this rare bike...
I agree. The only mod I've done is add a small windscreen. I do plan on installing a carbon hugger over the rear tire.
08 MegaMoto #99529
ViperJustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #2472
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin View Post
I agree. The only mod I've done is add a small windscreen. I do plan on installing a carbon hugger over the rear tire.
Yep, the less mods the better. I have the carbon hugger, and have taken most of the crap off this bike to make it more original. As for that sidecar, that guy should be sent to see a shrink.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #2473
Macroenie
Gnarly Adventurer

why would those mods not apply to the statement you guys agree to? You put on a screen because you thought it will make the bike better for your use and you want to add the carbon hugger because its functional and looks cool.
I have no screen nor the hugger, I added some other bits and pieces
So what is wrong with altering/customising your ride? It is part of the pleasure of owning a motorcycle (or any other object for that matter, hell I even customise myself ).
Is it any different than placing a new kitchen or bathroom in your house or do you keep that original as well which also means no furniture in your stock house because than it won't be original anymore
Old 02-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #2474
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,791
Quote:
why would those mods not apply to the statement you guys agree to? You put on a screen because you thought it will make the bike better for your use and you want to add the carbon hugger because its functional and looks cool.
I have no screen nor the hugger, I added some other bits and pieces
So what is wrong with altering/customising your ride? It is part of the pleasure of owning a motorcycle (or any other object for that matter, hell I even customise myself ).
Is it any different than placing a new kitchen or bathroom in your house or do you keep that original as well which also means no furniture in your stock house because than it won't be original anymore
I think you're missing the point
Old 02-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #2475
Macroenie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I think you're missing the point
please do explain