Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #16
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
I doubt your rear rotor's warped OP, maybe the shop bent it while change'in a tire? If it doesn't pulse/vibrate whilst brake'in, I wouldn't worry 'bout it.
I had me a 1st generation FZ1 w/ stage 3 Muzzy. Even though it's a lot lighter than the FJR, the weight is carried higher, and the lap times on mah favorite twisties would be purdie close. With the FJR be'in long 'n low, you can brake harder, later, 'n accelerate harder in 'n outta corners. It took me 'bout 30K, butt I've really warmed up to the linked ABS brakes.

Sounds like maybe you just need fresh rubber or sum air in yer tires? I run PRIIs (though I like Avon Storm IIs better) 42psi R , 'n 40psi F, and the bike handles great. I rail goat trails, 'n dirt roads on mine.
If yer not running out of ground clearance, and ya have fresh rubber w/ air in there, maybe ya just need someone to tweak yer suspension? I guess everyone likes the "Ash" setup over on fjrforum.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post
I had an FJR and put a Wilbers shock and fork springs on it. It made a huge difference.
^THIS^ worked fer me.
Ya don't have to go balls out Traxxion right away, get a rear shock 'n sum proper fork springs, 'n change the fork oil. Then in a year or two do Traxxion or a Gold Valve thingy.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
I doubt your rear rotor's warped OP, maybe the shop bent it while change'in a tire? If it doesn't pulse/vibrate whilst brake'in, I wouldn't worry 'bout it.
I had me a 1st generation FZ1 w/ stage 3 Muzzy. Even though it's a lot lighter than the FJR, the weight is carried higher, and the lap times on mah favorite twisties would be purdie close. With the FJR be'in long 'n low, you can brake harder, later, 'n accelerate harder in 'n outta corners. It took me 'bout 30K, butt I've really warmed up to the linked ABS brakes.

Sounds like maybe you just need fresh rubber or sum air in yer tires? I run PRIIs (though I like Avon Storm IIs better) 42psi R , 'n 40psi F, and the bike handles great. I rail goat trails, 'n dirt roads on mine.
If yer not running out of ground clearance, and ya have fresh rubber w/ air in there, maybe ya just need someone to tweak yer suspension? I guess everyone likes the "Ash" setup over on fjrforum.com^THIS^ worked fer me.
Ya don't have to go balls out Traxxion right away, get a rear shock 'n sum proper fork springs, 'n change the fork oil. Then in a year or two do Traxxion or a Gold Valve thingy.
+1, just did my fork upgrade at 60k and about ready to reinstall them so no report yet. Did the rear shock at 20K. Probably waited too long on the front.

Too many underestimate the difference that tire pressure makes, especially on the FJR.

I tried the Pilot Powers and fell in love with them.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #18
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Take a test drive on a Triumph Sprint GT. They are heavily discounted, as fast as a FJR, better MPG, bigger factory luggage, but lighter with sharper steering geometry. Take a test ride and see if it suits you.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
superkram OP
Church parking lot rider

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
With 24.5K on the original pads and rotors, I wouldn't be surprised. Front is great, rear no idea why. I trust my guy here in Orlando though, as he only installs parts & doesn't order them for me. Would make sense though, I kind of remember getting 40-41 on my 1st trip up to St. Louis when I first bought it, then never getting more than 37-40 average after getting new PR2's installed by a local shop in St. Louis. I just chalked up the lower MPGs due to extreme heat and a heavier throttle hand as I got used to the FJR through Texas & back.

Quote:
Sounds like maybe you just need fresh rubber or sum air in yer tires? I run PRIIs (though I like Avon Storm IIs better) 42psi R , 'n 40psi F, and the bike handles great. Maybe ya just need someone to tweak yer suspension? I guess everyone likes the "Ash" setup over on fjrforum.com^THIS^ worked fer me.
Might as well get it done right the first time. I don't like half-measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
Take a test drive on a Triumph Sprint GT. They are heavily discounted, as fast as a FJR, better MPG, bigger factory luggage, but lighter with sharper steering geometry. Take a test ride and see if it suits you.
Pretty bikes yes. I have an irrational no-British/Italian policy. Totally arbitrary, nothing personal. Ze Germans und Nipponese only.
superkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #20
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,937
In flatland FL, you need the FJR to get to any real twisties! I know about the little hills and a spots with a few consecutive bends in the orange groves around your locale. IMHO, based on those I've ridden, the FJR should eat them up!

My vote is to send your suspenders off to Max and get 'em done or upgraded. Good suspension is worth every penny if you want to push the limits.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
I've not even ridden an FJR, I did own a couple of VFR's though. With what you're talking bout I'd probably try to mod the FJR as well.

In terms of modding suspension, I've got no idea what effect if any it'll have on the shaft drive side of things, but if you've never swapped shocks/springs etc you may find your self amazed at the difference that it makes. Even small upgrades can be quite noticeable, at least it certainly was for me and I'm an average rider on my best day.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #22
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkram View Post
Pretty bikes yes. I have an irrational no-British/Italian policy. Totally arbitrary, nothing personal. Ze Germans und Nipponese only.

So you prefer unreliable or boring?

My "unreliable" 2000 Speed Triple is pushing 90,000 miles on the engine, other than normal consumables I've never had to pull so much as the valve cover unless it was scheduled maintenance or I was modifying something.

:edited to be less abrasive. ride what you want.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #23
superkram OP
Church parking lot rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
So you prefer unreliable or boring?

My "unreliable" 2000 Speed Triple is pushing 90,000 miles on the engine, other than normal consumables I've never had to pull so much as the valve cover unless it was scheduled maintenance or I was modifying something.

:edited to be less abrasive. ride what you want.
Grin. Nothing to do with reliability. It's my German blood. I think classic Jags and Ferraris are pretty, but I always end up sticking with the BMWs and Porsches I grew up with. Ditto the RX7s and Japanese bikes from my father.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #24
superkram OP
Church parking lot rider

Anyway, heard back from the folks at Traxxion. The FJR setup with the AK20 fronts and Penske 8975 non-reservoir would run me about $2100 + GA tax, including installation and setup.

I was hoping for something in the $1600-1800 range including taxes and setup, but doesn't seem like there's many better options. Thoughts??

Hi xxx,

We are very familiar with the FJR, Lee owned one of those as well, so our set up is very dialed in. Current AK20 cartridge kit pricing is $1099.95. It is a drop in kit if you can change fork seals, but if you want us to service your forks and install the AK20s we charge $225.

http://www.traxxion.com/AK-20AxxionCartridgeKit.aspx

Penske has 3 models for your bike. The new 8975 is a shock with no reservoir, but it does have a floating piston separating the oil and nitrogen, like the more expensive reservoir shocks. The 8975 is adjustable for preload, rebound and compression damping, but has no ride height adjustment. The 8975 retails for $795. The 8983 is the traditional double adjustable shock, with a remote reservoir. It is adjustable for preload, rebound, compression damping, and ride height. Retail is $925. The 8987 is the triple adjustable shock, with preload, ride height, rebound, and high and low speed compression. Retail is $1225.

I generally recommend the 8975 for FJR owners. It is an excellent bang for the buck, and very similar in quality to the 8983, only lacking the ride height adjuster.

If you order both the shock and the AK20s at the same time, I will offer a 10% discount. If you bring us the bike, we can get you done in a day. There is an additional charge of $85 to remove/replace the forks and $85 to remove/replace the shock.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Dan

superkram screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 10:43 AM Reason: Make font easier to read
Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #25
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,276
http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index...gp-suspension/

http://racetech.com/page/id/129

Traxxion is your closest bet and it's only money.

My guess is that you will have about $100+ in shipping to the west coast.

I'd split it up but you said you wanted to get it done right the first time.

richarddacat screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 03:13 PM
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Anyway, heard back from the folks at Traxxion. The FJR setup with the AK20 fronts and Penske 8975 non-reservoir would run me about $2100 + GA tax, including installation and setup.

I was hoping for something in the $1600-1800 range including taxes and setup, but doesn't seem like there's many better options. Thoughts??

Not too bad! You get new boingers all the way around and you know you have one of the best suspensions available. I'll probably wind up doing something very similar to my FJR in the near future....
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #27
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:

Well do it yourself and save install costs, should get you in at your price point or below. Or just do the rear shock yourself, not as much of a job as the forks, and have the shop do the forks. Have done the Traxxion/Penske upgrade myself on another bike. This was for a Honda Blackbird but it was not that big of a deal, just needed to be patient and methodical. Gigantic difference in handling and worth every penny.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #28
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
if you want to tear up the corners you probably dont want an FZ1. it just has a really long wheelbase and doesnt feel super flickable. ive heard if you put a taller tire on the FZ it is a little better and balances out speedo error and helps the MPGs a bit. but it is a rocket out of the corner, guaranteed.

The VFR800 is my pick for the best all round motorcycle period but its all preference.

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #29
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
IMO you can't change the inherent handling characteristics of a bike with suspension mods. I would never sink 2 grand into suspenders. To change a bikes handling the cheapest way is a more aggressive tire, which you are limited to on the FJR, the second way is to change the suspension geometry, which the shock should allow you to do. But once you start fiddling with these things you are getting away from the OEM engineering of the bike, and without a good idea of what you're doing a lot of times will make the bike worse. Lots of people will disagree, but the best way to improve an older bikes suspension is simply upgrade to a newer model. Fork technology has come a long way in the last decade. Although the traxxion front end is a big improvement, it is a bit dated now compared to the latest stuff coming out in the OEM world. The AK20's are limited by the inherent design of the fork they are being dropped into.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #30
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
IMO you can't change the inherent handling characteristics of a bike with suspension mods. I would never sink 2 grand into suspenders. To change a bikes handling the cheapest way is a more aggressive tire, which you are limited to on the FJR, the second way is to change the suspension geometry, which the shock should allow you to do. But once you start fiddling with these things you are getting away from the OEM engineering of the bike, and without a good idea of what you're doing a lot of times will make the bike worse. Lots of people will disagree, but the best way to improve an older bikes suspension is simply upgrade to a newer model. Fork technology has come a long way in the last decade. Although the traxxion front end is a big improvement, it is a bit dated now compared to the latest stuff coming out in the OEM world. The AK20's are limited by the inherent design of the fork they are being dropped into.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. If you can change handling with tires you can change it with suspension components. My personal experience is handling is massively affected by suspension upgrades. Sure people can screw anything up but a good aftermarket suspension on a bike with a so-so one from the factory is one of the best mods you can make.

I would add that for some reason my particular 07 FJR seemed to have its forks/front end not exactly set up right from the factory. I went through it with the help of my bike mechanic neighbor (thanks Gale!) setting everything to spec and aligning, and the difference in handling was amazing. Next mod for that bike will be a suspension at some point.

In the end a suspension just does two things, keeps the tire in contact with the road and manages rates of weight transfer. Doing a better job of that will always mean better handling. First step to that is setting the bike up right (sag and factory settings). Once that is nailed you can improve components. You'll never turn a FJR into an R1 but you can make a much better handling and enjoyable FJR.

edit: there is a lot of feedback over on the FJRforum on the Traxxion/Penske upgrade. Also group buy every year though it has expired for this year.

fred flintstone screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 06:23 AM
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote