Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,187
I did a group tour, about 2800 miles, and one of our crew was riding a Honda SP1. I was very impressed, no way I could have done that distance (and weather) on a race rep.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #17
DGW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
DGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #18
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,862
Here's an oldie but goodie: Link

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #19
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
I tour on my Tuono almost exclusively these days, despite the fact I have a mega-farkled Sprint 955 ST with full Race-Tech suspension rebuild........

Sure, I sometimes miss having the locking topbox and hard panniers while on the Tuono,
Ever tried to adapt the sprint panniers to mount onto the Tuono?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #20
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
I tour on my Tuono almost exclusively these days, despite the fact I have a mega-farkled Sprint 955 ST with full Race-Tech suspension rebuild.

The rear Spada bag is actually the "light" one, with clothes, a 2L water bladder, food, and a pair of 1L MSR fuel bottles inside. The system is great in that it allows you to lane split easily, and the weight isn't noticable, nor does it cause too many problems in cross-winds, and it comes off the bike in seconds. You basically don't know it's there when riding.
May try the same with my Tuono. Where are you packing the fuel bottles?

Thanks

'09 Tuono
x- '05 Ducati ST3 stolen
x- '04 Tiger sold
x- '02 Daytona sold
x- '99 Sprint ST RIP
x- '95 Sprint RIP
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFH View Post
Ever tried to adapt the sprint panniers to mount onto the Tuono?
Never going to work with the high-mount dual Arrow setup on the bike, besides the fact that they'd be ugly, red, and huge. And the factory pannier mounting system on the Sprint is a bit strange, no easy way to make them work on another bike unlike a more "universal" aftermarket pannier.

As for aftermarket hard bags, the exhaust is the reason I had to opt for the Ventura rack system in the first place, as even soft throw-over panniers wouldn't clear the exhaust. I have a Wolfman Beta bag, (same as on DGW's Duke above a couple posts) and that won't clear the exhaust, even if I cinch up the "saddlebag" portion on the sides.

Observe:

Quote:
May try the same with my Tuono. Where are you packing the fuel bottles?
I use the large outside rear zipper pocket of the Spada bag (part with the red diagonal tag on it) length-wise, with the (never had to be used in anger) rain cover for the luggage system rolled into a tube between the bottles as padding. They also fit one at a time (somewhat diagonally) in the side zipper pockets, so if you really wanted to you could carry four of them outside the main compartment of that bag, not quite a gallon extra.

Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
ventura rack won't work on the superduke if you have aftermarket exhaust.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #23
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,203
No, you're not nuts. THIS guy is nuts..... (and for the record im blown away this hasnt been posted yet)

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #24
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
No, you're not nuts. THIS guy is nuts..... (and for the record im blown away this hasnt been posted yet)

I mentioned him a few posts back, and then deleted the post, as nobody seemed to picking up on it.

The guy is amazing.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #25
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
thanks guys, I picked up some saddle bags that I think will work with my setup. I've seen the R1 guy, he's absolutely nuts and I heard the latest is that bike is being prepped to ride the north pole.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #26
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

Oddometer: 329
Quote:

I use the large outside rear zipper pocket of the Spada bag (part with the red diagonal tag on it) length-wise, with the (never had to be used in anger) rain cover for the luggage system rolled into a tube between the bottles as padding. They also fit one at a time (somewhat diagonally) in the side zipper pockets, so if you really wanted to you could carry four of them outside the main compartment of that bag, not quite a gallon extra.

Thanks for the tip.

'09 Tuono
x- '05 Ducati ST3 stolen
x- '04 Tiger sold
x- '02 Daytona sold
x- '99 Sprint ST RIP
x- '95 Sprint RIP
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #27
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmotogear View Post
Thanks for the tip.
I saw some hard containers for carrying the MSR fuel bottles in a PVC tube on one of the adv-store type sites. I've personally used the external bottle holders on hard panniers. Personally, I wouldn't carry them in a bag with other items as they tend to sweat, or seep, weep, etc. In the event they do, everything you have stinks. I would find an external mount somewhere or at least place the container separate from other essentials. Just a heads up.

Edit: Even something like this if you have to strap it to your pack
http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-32.../dp/B002XLIIWG

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #28
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
I saw some hard containers for carrying the MSR fuel bottles in a PVC tube on one of the adv-store type sites. I've personally used the external bottle holders on hard panniers. Personally, I wouldn't carry them in a bag with other items as they tend to sweat, or seep, weep, etc. In the event they do, everything you have stinks. I would find an external mount somewhere or at least place the container separate from other essentials. Just a heads up.

Edit: Even something like this if you have to strap it to your pack
http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-32.../dp/B002XLIIWG
Trust me when I say there's no other place to mount the bottles on a Tuono with my particular exhaust. There's scant clearance on the underpanel of the subframe, with a real risk of the tire making contact on suspension compression. There's no room on the sides since the exhaust is routed close to the body.

That said, the outer pockets of the Ventura bag are PVC-lined, so if the MSR bottles did leak it wouldn't easily get through to the inner cavity, so they were isolated, nothing else but a nylon/PVC rain cover was in the outer pocket. As for leaking, they never have, and they've clocked over 8000 miles in the bag so far, and with me using the same bottles travelling on my Sprint for tens of thousands of miles over the years:

While it's not ideal, it's not the worst way to carry them, and I wasn't concerned at all about impact issues, the bag and rack would compress a great deal, and it's likely the rails would snap off before those thick aluminum bottles would be crushed on a rear-end impact.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #29
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,203
Im definitely of the school of - if you like, ride it.

I have done a few longish weekend trips on sportbikes. One was about a 500 mile camping trip to Big Sur on an SV1000

...and more recently I did a two day, 700 miles trip up to the seqoia's on a Speed Triple

both times I could have used a bit more room, a bit more fuel range, etc..... BUT.... having a sport-type bike in a place like Big Sur??

unbelievable.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #30
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,288
EP, when did you get a Speed Trip?

My answer...a Monster. Yes, the 3.6 gal tank does have it's range limits but I've worked around it with a couple MSR bottles. I can squeeze 170 miles if I really, really need to but those last few miles are nail biters.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote