Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #481
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Excellent! The Scrambler is still one of my favorite bikes of all time and I always get a kick out of seeing them loaded up with our gear. The Overlander 60 will look and work great on those MM racks.

Thanks for choosing Kriega and let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Cheers,

Michael
Just got the first package in. Awesome shipping, and the bags look quality nice! I'll be trying them out this weekend off the bike on a trip to the Middle East.

On the other hand, the Overlander comes in tomorrow, and already I might need to return them. The frame of my bike might be bent where the MM mounts onto the passenger foot peg. If not that, then something else is keeping those racks from being mounted on the off-pipe side. Bags aren't much good without a rack. We'll see what happens after this trip.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #482
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm View Post
Just got the first package in. Awesome shipping, and the bags look quality nice! I'll be trying them out this weekend off the bike on a trip to the Middle East.

On the other hand, the Overlander comes in tomorrow, and already I might need to return them. The frame of my bike might be bent where the MM mounts onto the passenger foot peg. If not that, then something else is keeping those racks from being mounted on the off-pipe side. Bags aren't much good without a rack. We'll see what happens after this trip.
Yay!

And...

Booooo!

But in all seriousness, I'd look at the racks for defects before the bike frame for damage. Fingers crossed for you that it is the former.

Cheers,

Michael

P.S. Pics from the Middle Eastern run, pretty please!

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #483
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,398
other sports

Kriega is perfect for snowsports too !!

Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #484
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,851
wow those are some awesome backpacks!
i need to look into those at some point.
i've been using an old Camelback but those are much more functional for my guide work.
even though tight, my Camelback is still sloppy on my back when riding aggressively.

Quote:

Greetings Inmates!

The ADVRider forums have been a massive inspiration and invaluable knowledge base for me personally and also to the Kriega lads back in the UK. So, after recently becoming Kriega's US representative, I thought it'd be good to contribute something which could help others with the important decision of which cargo carrying gear to go for.

With this in mind, I figured it'd make sense to start a thread about each of our main product lines: backpacks, bike packs, pannier systems and accessories. The idea being that, hopefully, together we can create a resource center, wherein the answer to pretty much every conceivable question about Kriega kit can be found. Building a library of Inmates' Kriega set-ups and travels with the gear, would be cool too...

To kick off things off, I've posted up pages from the current catalog. Hi-rez versions can be viewed in the KriegaUSA galleries over at SmugMug, and - while stocks last - hard copies of the catalog are available free of charge via www.kriega.us and at Authorized Kriega Dealers.

Feel free to post up any questions, feedback or requests and I'll do everything I can to help find the right gear for your ride.

And just PM me for a your ADVRider free shipping code.

Cheers,

Michael

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #485
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
wow those are some awesome backpacks!
i need to look into those at some point.
i've been using an old Camelback but those are much more functional for my guide work.
even though tight, my Camelback is still sloppy on my back when riding aggressively.
Gotta say, I agree!

Thanks for the kind words, which are very much appreciated, coming from the maker of the most awesome motorcycle maps in the US.

As it happens, you (or Justin at least) should already have a couple of packs, courtesy of our mutual mate Jamie from MotoGeo. I know UPS couldn't deliver them the first time, but I'm sure they were resent. Can you check to see if they made it and, if not, PM me the best address for USPS and / or UPS deliveries?

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 02-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #486
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Kriega is perfect for snowsports too !!

Indeed!

BritKit LLC
Old 02-10-2013, 03:40 AM   #487
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,851
Sent you a PM.
Quote:
Gotta say, I agree!

Thanks for the kind words, which are very much appreciated, coming from the maker of the most awesome motorcycle maps in the US.

As it happens, you (or Justin at least) should already have a couple of packs, courtesy of our mutual mate Jamie from MotoGeo. I know UPS couldn't deliver them the first time, but I'm sure they were resent. Can you check to see if they made it and, if not, PM me the best address for USPS and / or UPS deliveries?

Cheers,

Michael
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #488
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
I tried searching this thread but didn't see anything...

Has anyone fitted the overlander 30 to a BMW G650X (challenge or Moto)?

I've got a US-20 and US-10 already, and can't decide whether to try the soft panniers or just get a backpack and lug it myself. The plastic on the exhaust side on my bike is unsupported and flimsy, the right side is the fuel cap. So I'm not sure if the overlander will work, and if it'll be worth the effort to remove every gas stop (small tank too!).

Any thoughts?
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #489
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post

I've got a US-20 and US-10 already, and can't decide whether to try the soft panniers or just get a backpack and lug it myself. The plastic on the exhaust side on my bike is unsupported and flimsy, the right side is the fuel cap. So I'm not sure if the overlander will work, and if it'll be worth the effort to remove every gas stop (small tank too!).

Any thoughts?
I have not tried the Overlander30 on the G650X... but... I used an exhaust slider to space the plastic from the exhaust on my Super Enduro. And, the Overlander30 (re)moves pretty quickly for your gas stops.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #490
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Yay!

And...

Booooo!

But in all seriousness, I'd look at the racks for defects before the bike frame for damage. Fingers crossed for you that it is the former.

Cheers,

Michael
I would normally consider the racks first as the problem, but I did have a fall on the bike a few years back, while moving on the interstate. Landed on that side of the bike, and bent the handlebar enough to dent the fuel tank. I know that the bars are easier to bend than the actual frame of the bike, but there's a mark on my swing arm right where the foot peg bolt is that says something's not quite lined up correctly. Either way, I bought some spacers, mounted the racks differently, and can keep the Overlander's. Which is great, cause once I saw them in person, I didn't want to send them back, especially after using the US 20/10/5 bags this weekend as a backpack.

Quote:
P.S. Pics from the Middle Eastern run, pretty please!
Not many pictures to take when most of the trip is the 35 hours of flying to Afghanistan and back, and the handful of hours spent on the ground is trying to sleep in a tent with aircraft taking off and landing throughout the night. Still, here's a few of my setup:

(Sorry about the bad picture. As convenient as it is, the iPhone just doesn't make a good camera)
  • pair running shoes
  • pair shower shoes
  • toiletry bag
  • sleeping bag
  • neck pillow
  • insulated long sleeve shirt
  • PT shirt
  • Tan undershirt
  • 2 pairs of socks
  • 2 pairs of underwear
  • PT tracksuit: reflective pants and jacket
  • iPad with charging cable and headphones
  • Nook

All fits into here:

Simple, compact, and I even got a few compliments on the bags too.

I'm definitely sold on the brand!
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #491
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 881
Anybody know how the R25 back pack works over a pressure suit?
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #492
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
Shouldn't be an issue bob. That said, the QUADLOC lite harness on the R15 and R20 (which were designed with off-roading as the primary purpose, as opposed to the R25, which is more of an all-rounder) has - among other things - more adjustment built into the upper harness and tends to work better with body armor - especially neck braces (which I assume you could be wearing with a pressure suit). If you think you definitely need 25 liters of capacity, it might be worth considering an R20, with a US-5 strapped onto it.

I hope that helps, but do not hesitate to post up any further questions you may have.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 02-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #493
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post

Any thoughts?
Hey xaman,

Are you by any chance the good gentleman with whom I have exchanged emails and phone calls about the Overlander x 650X? Regardless, fitting the system shouldn't be an issue. As traveltoad quite rightly says, if the plastics are a little on the overly 'flexy' side, one of those spacer / sliders would be a good idea. And, although a minor PITA, the filler cap location shouldn't be a deal-breaker. You'd just need to back off either the lower daisy chain or seat strap (taking care not to let the bags contact the end-can) to get enough slack to access the cap.

Seeing as the silencer is pretty exposed on the X Challenge, one of these might not do any harm either:

Happy to discuss the options further any time.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #494
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
I would normally consider the racks first as the problem, but I did have a fall on the bike a few years back, while moving on the interstate. Landed on that side of the bike, and bent the handlebar enough to dent the fuel tank. I know that the bars are easier to bend than the actual frame of the bike, but there's a mark on my swing arm right where the foot peg bolt is that says something's not quite lined up correctly. Either way, I bought some spacers, mounted the racks differently, and can keep the Overlander's. Which is great, cause once I saw them in person, I didn't want to send them back, especially after using the US 20/10/5 bags this weekend as a backpack.
Ahhhh... I see. Glad to hear you managed to find a workaround. Excited to see the system on a Scram' too!

Quote:
Not many pictures to take when most of the trip is the 35 hours of flying to Afghanistan and back, and the handful of hours spent on the ground is trying to sleep in a tent with aircraft taking off and landing throughout the night. Still, here's a few of my setup:

(Sorry about the bad picture. As convenient as it is, the iPhone just doesn't make a good camera)
  • pair running shoes
  • pair shower shoes
  • toiletry bag
  • sleeping bag
  • neck pillow
  • insulated long sleeve shirt
  • PT shirt
  • Tan undershirt
  • 2 pairs of socks
  • 2 pairs of underwear
  • PT tracksuit: reflective pants and jacket
  • iPad with charging cable and headphones
  • Nook

All fits into here:

Simple, compact, and I even got a few compliments on the bags too.

I'm definitely sold on the brand!
Excellent. It may seem geeky and sad, but no matter how long I've been using the gear myself and how many photos of other riders' set-ups I've seen, I still get a kick out of 'dodgy' camera-phone pics of Kriega equipment packed and ready for action. So, thank you very much for taking the time to snap 'em and share!

... Which reminds me of this little beauty that another happy customer on tour in Afghanistan sent me a while back:

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 05:56 PM
Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #495
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
Yes it does. I have used it over a couple different ones without any issues
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote