Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
My brother in law on his vstar.

Other bikes that tackled this same road at the same time:
71 guzzi ambassador
81 kz1000sp
02 vulcan900
Wooooooooo hoooooooo !! Y'all are doing something now !

A few more of these and you'll have the starbucks posers cryin !
Old 02-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #78
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Loved my old SC a lot. Love the newer Victory's even more......a far more sophisticated ride & experience.

jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #79
JerryH OP
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
You posted on the Honda Rebel forum on Sept 9 2012 that you sold your Honda Goldwing and bought a Yamaha Zuma. Now which is it......
I did sell one Goldwing, a 1985 1200LTD, and bought a Zuma 125, and a 1995 Goldwing 1500SE. The 1200 was falling apart.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #80
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Nice to see so many Vics

I think the only type of cruiser that isn't suited for touring without significant mods is a muscle cruiser. But even those can be outfited with gear t make them tour just fine.

Outside of that, it's just a fitment issue. Some can ONLY ride in a cruiser like position, some can't stand it. It just depends on the person.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #81
vicmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Loved my old SC a lot. Love the newer Victory's even more......a far more sophisticated ride & experience.

I test rode a Cross something, looked like the bike above but with a faring. After my SC with the D&D pipe (now replaced with Vic Carbon fibre) , it seemed way too civilised. Victory could make the SC 2.0 based on the Judge or a short wheelbase Core bike, but they won't

Mitch

2001 Victory SC
2012 Suzuki DL650
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #82
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Nice to see so many Vics

I think the only type of cruiser that isn't suited for touring without significant mods is a muscle cruiser. But even those can be outfited with gear t make them tour just fine.

Outside of that, it's just a fitment issue. Some can ONLY ride in a cruiser like position, some can't stand it. It just depends on the person.
I rode this Hammer with it's 250mm rear tire all over the SW and to Glacier National in Montana twice. Surely there are better bikes for the duty but it can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmitch View Post
I test rode a Cross something, looked like the bike above but with a faring. After my SC with the D&D pipe (now replaced with Vic Carbon fibre) , it seemed way too civilised. Victory could make the SC 2.0 based on the Judge or a short wheelbase Core bike, but they won't

Mitch

2001 Victory SC
2012 Suzuki DL650
You rode a Cross Country. Mine pictured is a Crossroads. I've ridden a Judge multiple times and it does a good impression of the old SC. More civilized, certainly, but still rather raw. Needs more clearance just like the SC.
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #83
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddBrit View Post

Awesome!!!

For the haters...

In over 35 years and well over half a million miles of riding, I can honestly say that my VV is the most comfortable and practical long distance bike I have ever ridden. And before the VVV, I rode a BMW1200GSA, and before that a BMW1150GSA, and did over 50K on both of them.

Cruisers with bags are very good bikes.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #84
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
That's outside your damn flat.

Not. Epic. Enuf.
That's where he lives?

They need to clean the rust off that upper section. Looks terrible when I drive by.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #85
2000RSV
Go Fast, Go Long

Oddometer: 2,319
Top of Mt. Washington (ScarySharkFace's KLR - not riding together, just happen to meet there).
[IMG][/IMG]

Top of Cadillac Mountain, Arcadia National Park, Maine
[IMG]Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug[/IMG]

Smoke Chasing 2011, The Hitching Post, Casmilia, CA
[IMG]The Hitching Post, Casmalia, CA 4/6/11[/IMG]

Middle of Nowhere, ND. OK, the cruiser isn't so good on really wet gravel.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Carhenge - Alliance, NE

For a non-adventure bike, we have had some pretty good times and seen some pretty cool places.
2000RSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #86
JerryH OP
Banned

That Royal Star sure looks a lot more comfortable than the KLR. Several years ago, a crew from Motorcycle Cruiser magazine rode to Alaska on 3 cruisers, a Honda Valkyrie Interstate, a Yamaha Royal Star Venture, and a Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic. They had very few problems, I'm pretty sure all the bikes got dropped at least once. But I have seen plenty of KLRs on their sides. I also remember something about their having to cut the windshields down.

While the quality of the newer Victorys has definitely improved over the originals, and they are more refined, I do prefer the styling of the originals more. They were very simple, basic looking bikes. The new Victorys are a bit overstyled for me, but that pretty much applies to all other cruisers as well. You can't even buy a regular Sportster any more, they are all lowered, for the sake of styling. But, no matter what they look like, my opinion is that cruisers are still the best choice for long distance riding.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #87
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
I rode this Hammer with it's 250mm rear tire all over the SW and to Glacier National in Montana twice. Surely there are better bikes for the duty but it can be done.
Cool beans. I also have a Hammer, a 2007, I did a 400 mile trip on it bone stock, no shield, nothing modded. It did suprisingly well, I wasn't sore one bit the next day, other than my bum. Victory's are great highway bikes, I was actually thinking of outfitting my hammer with a setup like yours and using it for touring as opposed to buying an adv bike, since I'm not looking to go off road. Hammers are just such beatiful bikes... all victories are, for that matter!
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #88
JerryH OP
Banned

It's to bad Victory doesn't make a smaller bike, like the Harley Sportster. I think they are missing out on a big chunk of the market by not offering an entry level bike that first time buyers can afford. I'm sure they do market research, and maybe they came to a different conclusion.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #89
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
... But, no matter what they look like, my opinion is that cruisers are still the best choice for long distance riding.
They are for you and some other people. They aren't for me and some other people. It will vary from person to person. It's completely pointless to try to argue that they are the best overall, when it's only the case for some people. Whatever bike you want most to do it on is the best for you, and that's true whether it's a cruiser or a sport-tourer or a big tourer or a naked bike or an adventure bike or a scooter or whatever gets a person out on the road.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #90
JerryH OP
Banned

True, that's why I put "my opinion" in there. I like them because they are comfortable (for me) and can haul a lot of stuff. Many riders who gravitate toward more sport oriented bikes find them boring. I like to just kick back, relax, and watch the scenery roll by without putting to much effort into it. I often ride under the speed limit if there is very little traffic. I have done 2 SS1000s, but did not really enjoy them, other than the sense of accomplishment, just something I had to do. I like to take my time on long distance rides.