Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #1276
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Speed channel started off as a cool thing but went down hill. One off channels like that are pushed top make money and the stupid reality TV shows they had are cheaper than covering racing. It may bring in less views but still has a better margin.
Actually, the "reality" shows got better ratings than the racing, which is why Speed said they went to that format.

I had high hopes that the racing coverage would be on Speed2. I'd be willing to pay a subscription fee for real-time online race coverage, which wouldn't be that difficult to do, especially in the case of WSBK.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #1277
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,849
If Eurosport stops broadcasting the races, I'll just stop watching.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #1278
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,201
These links that I posted for WSBK are relevant for Moto GP, F1, and BSB.

Only caveat; you will have to watch live.

http://www.firstrow1.eu/

http://www.vipbox.tv

On a good weekend, Eurosport goes back and forth between all (including STK and WSS) WSBK races and all BSB races. It is a racing junkies dream. You just won't get anything else done on one of those days.

Make sure your popup blocker and adblocker are working and be smart.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #1279
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,201
BTW - Espargaro topped the Moto 2 test yesterday, Vinales stayed at the top in Moto 3.

Ianonne will be at Jerez with the Ducati test team (presumably Pirro and Battaini) for three days, starting tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #1280
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Actually, the "reality" shows got better ratings than the racing, which is why Speed said they went to that format.

Thank you for lowing my faith in Murika.
Parx400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #1281
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Thank you for lowing my faith in Murika.
"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." -- H. L. Mencken

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #1282
sailor22
Jay Pegg pusher

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post

I had high hopes that the racing coverage would be on Speed2. I'd be willing to pay a subscription fee for real-time online race coverage, which wouldn't be that difficult to do, especially in the case of WSBK.
Speed 2 is only available in very limited markets or it would be a natural progression to use it to reach a limited and geographicaly diverse market. Until it is available to much more of it's target market it will be a non starter.
sailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #1283
flars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
The price

The big selling point for 'reality' programming is the production costs. To make a program about three people guessing how fast a 1967 Chevelle 4-cylinder automatic will cover a quarter mile is about $3.27. You need one handheld camera to walk around at the start line, one camera on a boom to show the run, and one fixed camera to show the contestants and host.
To show a race (even as badly as they do for AMA pro today) may require three boom cameras, three hand helds, three fixed, one airborne platform, a dozen on-vehicle cameras, three or four tractor trailers of computers and technicians, a couple of high dollar talking heads...Plus travel expenses.
Do the math. The sad part is that Speed has a thousand events they COULD cover every week, but if they don't have WSBK and MGP, they end up covering a bunch of Nascar races and moto-x. Then they throw in a couple of AMA pro, the Daytona 200, Aussie supercars, German sedans, the 24 hr of Daytona, and not much else during prime viewing time. It all comes down to money and their ability to sell sponsorships. Hell - Soccer from Mexico and the British Premier League show more 'real' events than Speed shows motor events. What ever happened to the rallye coverage? Why don't they spend a little time at the flat track races (much cheaper to cover because they can use one boom and some handhelds). Damned accountants...
flars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #1284
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
The few AMA Pro Flat Track races that get televised are either because the whole production team is already there (Daytona Short Track) or they are one of many events that fill the Lucas Oil Motorsports hour broadcast on NBC Sports cable channel (formerly Versus). I talked to one of the camera operators at the Sacramento Mile last year for a quite a while. The had four fixed cameras plus at least one handheld for the podium and several GoPros. He said he and the whole crew were individual independent contractors and flew to different events every week; off-road trucks, dirt and paved ovals, extreme sports, etc. He didn't always work with the same crew.

I was volunteering at the MIle and there were several long breaks so we talked quite a bit. He just kept telling me all this stuff about video production and I didn't even have to ask a million irritating questions like I usually do.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #1285
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,062
Time to put up or shut up...Who really knows their stuff? Join the free online fantasy league. http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20726599
Old 02-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #1286
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
It's bizarre that the US has 3 rounds of motogp with such small exposure. I'd rather watch a 2nd British race at Donnington than the Indy GP.
This reminds me of the fact that GP or AMA can barely attract fans to the facilities in the first place in the States, let alone sell advertising on regular TV. It blows my mind to watch AMA on TV and race day looks like a practice day; thousands of empty seats. Filming bikes going past the finish line with empty bleachers in the background can't be appealing to a sponsor.
The fact is that bike racing isn't that popular here in North America. I go, and you go, but that's not paying the bills.
ErikY. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #1287
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
This reminds me of the fact that GP or AMA can barely attract fans to the facilities in the first place in the States, let alone sell advertising on regular TV. It blows my mind to watch AMA on TV and race day looks like a practice day; thousands of empty seats. Filming bikes going past the finish line with empty bleachers in the background can't be appealing to a sponsor.
The fact is that bike racing isn't that popular here in North America. I go, and you go, but that's not paying the bills.
Indy motogp draws a decent crowd, though it should be bigger, given the proximity to large population areas and the fact that the track can handle HUGE crowds. Plus, it's CHEAP! 75 bucks for a weekend ticket and you can split a camping spot with your buddies for 50 bucks. I've spend more at a bar on a good friday night!
as for AMA, see the ama roadrace thread for the reasons why nobody attends races anymore. I've been attending mid-ohio since 89, and during the 90's, the raceday crowd was incredible, with weekend attendence in the 100k range. after the ama debacle, the crowd is a tiny fraction what it once was, and like you said, looks like club racing.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #1288
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
OK folks, let's not denigrate club level racing !

That is the back bone of all efforts, some poor dude or dudet slaving away at some POSJ
trying to get ahead enough to go racing.
Yea the big boy's and factory riders are interesting, but for my money give me a hungry club level racer , a few $$ and we have a champion.
Sure the Europeans take a different slant on this and have serious feeder ladders, but let's not forget the US club level rider trying to get ahead.
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #1289
Joe
Debaser

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Time to put up or shut up...Who really knows their stuff? Join the free online fantasy league. http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20726599
anything that requires my full name, my email, home address, phone number and oddly when my insurance renews, forget it.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #1290
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
OK folks, let's not denigrate club level racing !

That is the back bone of all efforts, some poor dude or dudet slaving away at some POSJ
trying to get ahead enough to go racing.
Yea the big boy's and factory riders are interesting, but for my money give me a hungry club level racer , a few $$ and we have a champion.
Sure the Europeans take a different slant on this and have serious feeder ladders, but let's not forget the US club level rider trying to get ahead.
I don't think anybody is denigrating club level racing. It's just that I expect to see a difference between club level racing and AMA racing. Like I expect to see a difference between HS base ball and college level base ball and professional base ball. Some of the HS player are full of heart and have a ton of talent. It's more fun to watch them rise to a level where they're playing against equal talent.

There's some good AMA racers but the field has gotten so thin these last few years and there's a lot of talent sitting on the bench. It's not really that entertaining any more. Participation at the club level isn't what it once was either. Entries are down. I blame that on the lackluster performance of AMA.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote