User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 77 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #2401
Bigfeet428
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Go over to http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/ and take a look around. Dropping the trigger pull on a 10/22 can be a simple as replacing the hammer in the trigger group as is well within the abilities of a do it yourselfer. Great bunch of folks that are always willing to help.
Bigfeet428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #2402
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet428 View Post
Go over to http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/ and take a look around. Dropping the trigger pull on a 10/22 can be a simple as replacing the hammer in the trigger group as is well within the abilities of a do it yourselfer. Great bunch of folks that are always willing to help.
I did the triggers on both my 10/22s and got them real smooth and down to about 1.5 lbs very easily. Just takes a little time, some emery cloth and a fine little flat file (1/4" wide). They shoot much better for me and both triggers are matched to make transition from one to the other invisible to the finger. You really don't need to spend money on aftermarket triggers.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #2403
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,173
Its here....I should pick it up friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
And it really is a toy....I just put on order one of these....being a history nut I just could not pass it up...I think it will be fun.

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #2404
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 974
Bought the Neos on Thursday, and on friday morning found the ammo.

Been visiting 2 Wal-marts each morning on the way to work for the past 5 days. Get to the stores about 6-6.15am.
Having worked all 4 years of college in WM as both a night stocker and at the sporting goods counter I knew to look not on the shelves, but peer over the counter and check out the boxes stacked behind awaiting first shift to come and lock them up. There it was. A case of Federal bulk .22LR Bought 3 boxes, left the rest for someone else.

Hit the range today. Gun is a complete pleasure to shoot. Highly accurate, made me look far better than I am. Even at 50 feet, with the stock sights, where I could not see much of the silhouette head or where the shots were landing, when I pulled the target back about 90% were in the head.

Shot about 200 rounds of the federal bulk, and 50 each of CCI standard velocity and Remington Viper. Of that I had 1 fail to fire each with the fed and the rem, and 1 fail to load with the CCI. Also, one Remington shell seemed to 'phut' rather than bang. So, maybe a 1% failure rate. Remington also spit a lot of fire and sparks.

Very happy with the choice I made.
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #2405
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and my monkee View Post

Been visiting 2 Wal-marts each morning on the way to work for the past 5 days. Get to the stores about 6-6.15am.
Having worked all 4 years of college in WM as both a night stocker and at the sporting goods counter I knew to look not on the shelves, but peer over the counter and check out the boxes stacked behind awaiting first shift to come and lock them up. There it was. A case of Federal bulk .22LR Bought 3 boxes, left the rest for someone else.

Hit the range today. Gun is a complete pleasure to shoot. Highly accurate, made me look far better than I am. Even at 50 feet, with the stock sights, where I could not see much of the silhouette head or where the shots were landing, when I pulled the target back about 90% were in the head.

Shot about 200 rounds of the federal bulk, and 50 each of CCI standard velocity and Remington Viper. Of that I had 1 fail to fire each with the fed and the rem, and 1 fail to load with the CCI. Also, one Remington shell seemed to 'phut' rather than bang. So, maybe a 1% failure rate. Remington also spit a lot of fire and sparks.

Cool. I heard that WalMart was limiting purchases to 3 boxes per person, so everyone has a chance to find some in the store.

It's funny how the shortage makes everyone act. I have plenty of ammo and can't shoot now because we just got 2 feet of snow and I can't get out to my shooting area. I still feel an urge to go out and buy ammo. Not gonna. Don't want to contribute to the shortage, but it's in the back of my head. I passed on a box of .380 back in Nov. Wish I had gotten it, because the price has jumped recently.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #2406
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,046
Argh. I'm so tired of placing orders online only to find out after a few days that stocks are depleted and my orders are canceled.

Does anyone a) recommend and b) know of a stock of actual see-through Weaver mounts for a 10/22? I hear the Chinese-made rails on eBay are junk but haven't spoken to anyone in person who has any experience with them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aim-Sports...Black/21066543
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #2407
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,347
I was dropping off my M-69 at the gun shop to get some trigger work done when I seen a heavy barreled .22 in the service rack. The gun was a 1919 Savage Model 19 .22 match gun.

The gunsmith told me it has twin firing pins in the bolt, and that they are known for being very accurate

Here is a picture I found on gunbroker.com.

I added this gun to my watch list

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #2408
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Rider View Post
I was dropping off my M-69 at the gun shop to get some trigger work done when I seen a heavy barreled .22 in the service rack. The gun was a 1919 Savage Model 19 .22 match gun.

The gunsmith told me it has twin firing pins in the bolt, and that they are known for being very accurate

Here is a picture I found on gunbroker.com.

picture snipped ......

I added this gun to my watch list
It can't be this one you added to your watch liat?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=328891245
rough no magazine

Can't find the one you pictured.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action...ords=Savage+19

George

Plug and Plug.
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #2409
Hog Rider
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion View Post
It can't be this one you added to your watch liat?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=328891245
rough no magazine

Can't find the one you pictured.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action...ords=Savage+19

George
George .... My bad

Try this link

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/115020...r-ok-very-nice

I was told parts are very rare for these, so buy the best you can find was the advice given to me.

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
Old 02-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #2410
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,173
I really like the Neos....so much so I bought a second.

If you really like the little thing check out the carbine kit....it is just a hoot to shoot. I have a red dot on mine and can hit 6" steel plates from 50 yards like it is nothing....not even a challange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and my monkee View Post

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #2411
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,958
Hog Rider-that 1919 is a very nice rifle. One of the unusual things about it,other than the twin firing pins (on the early models), is that the barrel and the receiver are a single piece-they were not made as two separate pieces, like pretty much every other gun, but machined from a single blank. It is essential that you get a magazine with the rifle, and if the rather delicate rear sight is still in place, that's a big plus,too. Here's my early 1919-on later models,without the dual firing pins,the receiver opening is larger (like the one in your photo from Gunbroker. That one is also missing a barrel band).

jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #2412
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,312
New .17 HMR for me. Of course as soon as I ordered this, I read that there is a bigger, badder .17 Magnum ready to hit the market.

2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #2413
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
Reminds me of my 17hm2
Old 02-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #2414
DLFLHT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
I read that there is a bigger, badder .17 Magnum ready to hit the market.
Yeah, the .17 Winchester Super Magnum looks like the ultimate rimfire - 3,000 FPS with a 20 grain bullet. Plus it looks like the ammo will be about $15 a box. I held out on the .17s so far, but I may have to take the plunge once these get out there in decent numbers.
DLFLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 AM   #2415
Hog Rider
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
Hog Rider-that 1919 is a very nice rifle. One of the unusual things about it,other than the twin firing pins (on the early models), is that the barrel and the receiver are a single piece-they were not made as two separate pieces, like pretty much every other gun, but machined from a single blank. It is essential that you get a magazine with the rifle, and if the rather delicate rear sight is still in place, that's a big plus,too. Here's my early 1919-on later models,without the dual firing pins,the receiver opening is larger (like the one in your photo from Gunbroker. That one is also missing a barrel band).

Jeep44 Thank you for that information, I feel that the only way I will purchase one of those will be in person and not online.

My gunsmith told me that they are very accurate, is that correct ?
Another thing about the gun is that it was made about a 1/2 hour away from where I live. Back before NY chased all the manufacturing and gun owners away.

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'

Display Modes Rate This Thread