ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Jeff,

Really good to read that an OHV enthusiast is actually in charge of the State OHV program!

I'm one of the victims of the recent tire slashings. However, something else has been bothering me. According the posted sign at the Sears-Kay ruins parking area up off of Seven Springs Rd, OHV funds were used to enhance the parking area and facilities which is completly un-related to OHV use.

Yet I was issued a ticket for parking there with my trailer as it is not a "designated OHV staging area" according to the ranger. So what gives? OHV funds diverted to other recreational sites that don't allow OHV use? Don't mean to jump on the new guy, but this is certainly an injustice to the OHV community.
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Just unf_ckin beliveable

The state of Arizona get a motorcycle rider to run the OHV program.

Here we get somebody who saw a boat once to run Boating & Waterways.

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #18
terb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
Jeff,

Really good to read that an OHV enthusiast is actually in charge of the State OHV program!

I'm one of the victims of the recent tire slashings. However, something else has been bothering me. According the posted sign at the Sears-Kay ruins parking area up off of Seven Springs Rd, OHV funds were used to enhance the parking area and facilities which is completly un-related to OHV use.

Yet I was issued a ticket for parking there with my trailer as it is not a "designated OHV staging area" according to the ranger. So what gives? OHV funds diverted to other recreational sites that don't allow OHV use? Don't mean to jump on the new guy, but this is certainly an injustice to the OHV community.

And why did you think they would use the OHV moneys to repair the OHV trails??...... You forgot to read the fine print!!
terb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #19
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstateParksOHV View Post
While I can understand your frustration with getting a ticket, were the rules clearly posted?
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your research and explanation of the use of the funds in this instance. I don't believe there was anything posted about how long parking was allowed (but there could have been). I had parked there about 5-6 hours mid-day, and never saw another vehicle in the whole parking area (not like I was taking up parking for other visitors). The entrance has a locking gate so I assumed no overnight parking would be allowed. I just sucked it up and paid the fine rather than try to fight it - but it did make me mad especially with the sign saying OHV funds were used for it!
- Steve
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #20
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Welcome aboard ADV. Glad to here an adventure rider is part of the OHV program. Looking forward to riding with you sometime.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #21
IBRiding
Forever Grateful

Oddometer: 590
Jeff,

Just in case you have not heard it in a while: Thank your for all your hard work and your presence here on ADV
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #22
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,072
While I appreciate the response it was a a round about way of not answering. OUR OHV funds paid for this, yet an OHV user was fined for parking. This ranks right up there with every other fund raiding BS that goes on. Until WE hold OUR employees accountable this will continue. I for one am tired of being mislead, lied to, ignored etc. I'm done being quite about this BS. We all need to get vocal. Guys we are the frogs, the pot's beginning to boil...
Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #23
mr.slowpokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by azshtr View Post
While I appreciate the response it was a a round about way of not answering. OUR OHV funds paid for this, yet an OHV user was fined for parking. This ranks right up there with every other fund raiding BS that goes on. Until WE hold OUR employees accountable this will continue. I for one am tired of being mislead, lied to, ignored etc. I'm done being quite about this BS. We all need to get vocal. Guys we are the frogs, the pot's beginning to boil...
I agree. Let's hear an explanation. What's going on here? All the fees and 'registration's' we pay and still get fined/ punished.
mr.slowpokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #24
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,202
Quote:
This area you parked at is the first sanctioned "Point of Discovery" along the Great Western Trail, which is one of Arizona's first long distance motorized routes, intended on connecting Arizona to Utah and beyond. Read about it here:
http://azstateparks.com/ohv/wheretoride.html#great
Jeff,
Haven't talked in a while but I finally finished recording GPS tracks for the GWT across AZ. I recorded an option over Mt. Lemon and then over Memorial day I finally did the section west of Jerome. I don't know who picked this route but it is not rideable. I was bull dogging my bike down a dry stream bed passing jeeps wenching up.

The trail is impossible to follow using government signs. There many intersections with no signs. I have my tracks posted on GPSXchange.com

Countdown screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 01:10 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #25
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
GPSXchange.com
I fixed a typo in the web addy. Thanks for posting this.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #26
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for your communications. My beef is not with you at all. It's with our leaders who have an agenda to shut out exactly the type use our forests are for.

Have our OHV funds been held separate and solely for OHV use or have they been used in the general parks funds? Have our OHV dollars been used for all the corralling, gates, fences being erected to keep us out of areas? Example would be seven mile wash at the river below Bartlett, AKA needle rock I think (what an eye sore of an instal).
Old 06-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #27
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,236
Quote:

Get to know me and what I do, you'll be glad you did. Or, play the typical Internet agitator role and see how your accomplishments stack up to mine.

Or if you want to man up and put your McLeod where your mouth is,

:(
Nice!
Old 06-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #28
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry you feel that way. I think I more than adequately answered the question . Go back and read everything in this thread i wrote and follow the various links. tell me specifically what your question is, if one still remains. please keep in mind, i will not engage in philosophical debates about the merits of such projects, as this was supported at the time it was developed. Federal RTP money was used on this project in accordance with law and policy of the time. That money is paid by everyone who uses motorized trails and is derived from gas tax. If you have an issue with the management of the sears kay site, I suggest you contact the tonto national forest.

Come to a future trail talk, ohvag meeting, or my public meetings. I challenge you to find fault in what I do or the authenticity of my Ohv passion and experience. Blaming me for something that happened back in the 90s? That's just weak.

My work day started at 730 am today, and came to an end at 1130 pm. I typically work 55 hours a week (only get paid for 40), work an irregular schedule including weekends and nights, rarely see my wife, and am currently staying in a crappy hotel in flag that will cost me $20 out of my pocket above what the state reimbursement is. I'm not complaining, I'm dedicated to making a difference for my community and my native Arizona, regardless of the costs to me.

Get to know me and what I do, you'll be glad you did. Or, play the typical Internet agitator role and see how your accomplishments stack up to mine. Some people love to fight, and in the absence of which, will create one. I prefer to focus my time on creating solutions and opportunities.

If you still feel I am not working hard enough for Ohv interests statewide or am towing the typical .gov line ... call Bryan Martin, director of Arizona state parks, and ask him to fire me. Or if you want to man up and put your McLeod where your mouth is, come up to Kelly canyon in flag this Saturday and help me build some single track.

Can't believe I typed all that on a phone :(
Pretty good for a phone typer. You must be way younger than I am, or have smaller thumbs.

http://azstateparks.com/grants/libra...torized_t.html

That link you provided does show some light on where money goes but in my opinion the public was misled on what OHV dollars would be used for. Improvement grants should not be things such as 1) Road closures and 2) tons (literally I'm sure) of metal posts and gates.

I would rather see nature as nature, not nature with signs, posts, gates, etc. If an area is already getting used, closing it will just push people out further and the cycle begins again. The Coves is a perfect example of this. They closed most roads, darn near paved the road to cove 1, and the amount of traffic had a huge increase, along with the trash. (I have done many trash pickup days there). Who's brainstorm was that mess?

But I'll stop and just say... thanks for joining, thanks for communicating, no ill will towards you. Perhaps the OHV program can get back on track a bit. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #29
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
well, with an attitude like that, I don't think that it's possible to drag you down!

and don't let the rantings of the few overshadow the support of the many.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #30
cyberdos
True Story Meng

Oddometer: 24,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
well, with an attitude like that, I don't think that it's possible to drag you down!

and don't let the rantings of the few overshadow the support of the many.
I really fucking like this guy!

Thanks again Jeff.