Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #2716
Nicholas Chan
n00b

Oddometer: 7
RD02 Carburetor replacement

Hello there,

I am the owner of a 1991 NX650 Dominator (RD02).

For the longest of time, my carburetor has been giving me an average mileage of 18KM/Litre (now it is 17KM/Litre). A few months back I loaned a carburetor from a friend of mine and saw my mileage jump to 22KM/Litre, with an occasional spike to 24KM/Litre. I had to return the carburetor after a month but with my existing carburetor getting worse and worse with each week, I am now trying to do 1 of 3 things:

1.) Locate a replacement carburetor on eBay (which I have had no luck on)
2.) Ask if anyone knows where to get a brand new RD02 carburetor
3.) Ask if there is a drop-in replacement carburetor

I would really any assistance/guidance on all 3 options, thanks!
Nicholas Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #2717
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I had a hard time finding a replacement carburetor for my NX650 so I bought a carburetor from a 2012 XR650L and put it on. Works like a charm!
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #2718
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Actually I do have the original carburetor if you want it. I replaced it because the pervious owner had put some type of rubber cement or epoxy on the bottom of it. It might still be useable as a whole, or at least the parts would be good.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #2719
Schelbi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Chan View Post
Hello there,

I am the owner of a 1991 NX650 Dominator (RD02).

For the longest of time, my carburetor has been giving me an average mileage of 18KM/Litre (now it is 17KM/Litre). A few months back I loaned a carburetor from a friend of mine and saw my mileage jump to 22KM/Litre, with an occasional spike to 24KM/Litre. I had to return the carburetor after a month but with my existing carburetor getting worse and worse with each week, I am now trying to do 1 of 3 things:

Did you compare the two carbs? Are the jets and needles the same? Maybe your carb needs just a little cleaning and some overhauling!
1985 Honda XL600LM 1988 Honda NX650
1989 Honda XL600V Transalp 1992 Honda XRV750 SW-Motec 1995 Husqvarna TE610
Schelbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #2720
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Chan View Post

There are a number of different carbs depending on whichmarket the bike was originally sold in.
A common place for the carb to wear is the needle screw holder Which is the brass tube with holes drilled in it to allow fuel atomisation that the needle sits in.
The needle wears an oval hole over time.
Is the diaphragm still OK and not punctured or torn?
What are the main and pilot jets?
On the side of the carb will be stamped the model of VE40 you have, you may be able to change some jets and do the carb modifications to make it run better.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #2721
thewxman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I no longer have my NX, but I do have a service manual for the 88-89 model and 15 tooth front sprocket that a fellow inmate kindly sent me for cost of shipping. And now it can be yours. The first one to PM me gets it. All you will be on the hook for is the shipping fee. Sorry folks, but it has been claimed.

thewxman screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 04:18 PM
thewxman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #2722
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewxman View Post
I no longer have my NX, but I do have a service manual for the 88-89 model and 15 tooth front sprocket that a fellow inmate kindly sent me for cost of shipping. And now it can be yours. The first one to PM me gets it. All you will be on the hook for is the shipping fee. I'll be shipping via USPS Flat rate priority so it will cost you $5.80. Con. US only pleas (sorry international domi owners)
Just be aware that the countershaft is different on the 88 compared with the 89.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #2723
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

I just got around to attempting to mount handguards. I have the bolts from the new XR650L, which should be long enough. I compared them to my stock bolts and they are definitely longer. But the bolt that the front brake lever pivots on still is not long enough to go all the way through the handguard. Are the front brake master cylinders THAT different from the NX to the XR? Has anyone else mounted stock XR handguards to their bike? I would have gone with aftermarket, but I have the larger windscreen on and anything else looks like it will hit.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #2724
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Ok getting ready to pull the trigger on a new carb, which is the best to go with? Sudco or XRonly?
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #2725
Pasoren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstriffler View Post
I just got around to attempting to mount handguards. I have the bolts from the new XR650L, which should be long enough. I compared them to my stock bolts and they are definitely longer. But the bolt that the front brake lever pivots on still is not long enough to go all the way through the handguard. Are the front brake master cylinders THAT different from the NX to the XR? Has anyone else mounted stock XR handguards to their bike? I would have gone with aftermarket, but I have the larger windscreen on and anything else looks like it will hit.
Do a search for the part number: OEM Number: 90114-MN9-771. This is the bolt for the brake lever. Maybe you'll find a supplier that doesn't charge you an arm and a leg for shipping.

Same part for many Hondas.

Nice "new" fairings by the way! :-)
Pasoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #2726
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

The fairings were really nice, other fairings I've bought have been pretty beat up but Henning's could be mistaken for new. Thanks again for your help!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #2727
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

I think I can forget about the handguards for a little while. Today while riding on the highway the bike completely died on me. I assume its an electrical problem, because the bike didn't sputter and die, it just DIED. Like someone pulled the plug. The repair manual says possible faulty CDI, and I've read on this thread about people having problems with their CDI. I haven't taken it apart yet, but I wanted to put this out there maybe anyone had any ideas before I started into it.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #2728
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

I pulled the plug....no spark
Old 02-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #2729
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstriffler View Post
I pulled the plug....no spark
Try tapping the CDI with a screwdriver handle.
Mine died a couple of years back, 88 US model as well. I bought a new one from ignitech.cz, You can probably find one closer but these have a 2 yr warranty.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #2730
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
Try tapping the CDI with a screwdriver handle.
Mine died a couple of years back, 88 US model as well. I bought a new one from ignitech.cz, You can probably find one closer but these have a 2 yr warranty.

I was tapping it, smacking it, and cursing at it but it doesn't want to work. I thought they used to be really expensive, but I found one at partzilla for $96. I've had dozens of bikes and never had one fail on me. Do they fail often?