User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #2071
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Just picked up this bike today.

Paint is a little faded plus a few boo boos on the fairings, guess that is to be expected on a bike this old. Runs good though* plus it had some mods done to it that I was planning on doing anyway, so win there. (undertail exhaust, sargent seat, bar risers, and a throttlemeister)

* When I arrived he had the battery out and on a charger because it was too flat to start the bike. So I look it over and just shoot the shit with the guy for a bit. So he grabs the battery and puts it back in the bike. Only problem is every time he would try and hook up the battery terminals, it would immediately pop the main fuse. So we fuss with it for an hour or so and get no where. Nothing obviously touching anything it shouldn't that we can see.

I made him an offer on it as it was sitting (which he was going to accept) when I just happen to look down and notice he had put the damn battery in backwards

Being the honest person I am, I informed him of his mistake right there (more like I blurted it out without thinking ). After him cussing himself out for a few minutes, he flipped it around and boom, cranked over sluggisly without firing up because the battery was still flat
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L

gots_a_sol screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 05:14 PM
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #2072
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post

Paint is a little faded plus a few boo boos on the fairings, guess that is to be expected on a bike this old. Runs good though* plus it had some mods done to it that I was planning on doing anyway, so win there. (undertail exhaust, sargent seat, bar risers, and a throttlemeister)

* When I arrived he had the battery out and on a charger because it was too flat to start the bike. So I look it over and just shoot the shit with the guy for a bit. So he grabs the battery and puts it back in the bike. Only problem is every time he would try and hook up the battery terminals, it would immediately pop the main fuse. So we fuss with it for an hour or so and get no where. Nothing obviously touching anything it shouldn't that we can see.

I made him an offer on it as it was sitting (which he was going to accept) when I just happen to look down and notice he had put the damn battery in backwards

Being the honest person I am, I informed him of his mistake right there (more like I blurted it out without thinking ). After him cussing himself out for a few minutes, he flipped it around and boom, cranked over sluggisly without firing up because the battery was still flat

He was asking 1900 for it originally. After the initial fail to start/blowing fuses, I offered him 1400. After correcting the issue, we settled on 1700.
You got a great bike there, replace the V/R ASAP.

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #2073
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
That's a steal. Really.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #2074
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

The wiring for the R/R doesn't appear factory, so I think someone has redone it before in the past. Next time I'm in the garage I'll see what the part number on the R/R is and try to sort out what is in there. It had a voltmeter wired in also (I took it off because it wasn't done very well imo, will replace with something a little more stealthy)

In the listing, he didn't mention any of the add ons, so that was a big bonus to see when I got there. I had no problem paying the 1900 he was originally asking, had the bike started that is
Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #2075
DeedsyDragon
Moto Dragon

Oddometer: 102
Quote:

Mind grabbing a few pictures of the undertail exhaust?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #2076
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeedsyDragon View Post
Mind grabbing a few pictures of the undertail exhaust?
It really shows off the SSSA. This setup seems a bit loud unfortunately. I'll have to get some miles on it before I decide to change it up first.

Upon closer inspection, this seems to be somebody's home made job. The mid pipe looks like a factory made part, but the undertail stuff is a little meh looking. I'll be tweaking it a bit as the mufflers don't exit out the back perfectly straight (offset towards the left side a bit) and the plate bracket needs some work. As it sits, the exhaust blows right on the back of the plate when installed. It seems the rear tire touches it a bit when the suspension compresses as there is a small shiny spot on the bottom of the cans.

I also removed the spanner wrench that is hanging out in the last pic

gots_a_sol screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 08:48 AM
Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #2077
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,853
Hard to imagine that under full compression the tire won't be totally squashed into the muffler/pipe arrangement, flattening something out.

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #2078
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll try and keep my hill hopping reserved for my drz then. I will be putting heavier springs in asap (plan to mount hard bags once I can find the parts to do it)
Old 02-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #2079
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,623
Yeah, that's a homemade underseat exhaust. Wolf Racing did the most common one, and all of us (yeah, I had one) ran into clearance issues with the rear tire on full compression. Simplest fix was to shim the rear shock mount with 2-3 slotted fender washers. That also quickened up the steering pretty good. I'd be cautious with clearance if you add bags or a passenger. There really isn't much room back there.

I'd agree with the OPs that that seems like a good deal. Little polish should restore the paint. That engine is one of the best ever.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #2080
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

It will be resprung before any luggage is added. I don't usually ride with anybody else, let alone with them on the same bike, so that isn't an issue.

Grabbed some pics of worst of the body work.

Faded tail vs cowl cover

Turn signal area

Old 02-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #2081
DeedsyDragon
Moto Dragon

Oddometer: 102
Quote:

Yikes... that's pretty ugly.

I also have the same fading on my tail section.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #2082
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Well the exhaust isn't as loud as I thought it was going to be. Then again, I wear ear buds when I ride, so others may have a different opinion on that It is no louder than my DRZ at least.

It seems to be turning higher rpm than I felt it should when I was running up the highway so I checked and the sprockets have been changed to 16/45 which looks to be -1/+2. That has moved right up to the top of my list of things I am going to do (will go back to stock gearing)

One thing to check off of my list is I got my gps set up on her. I used a RAM ball from a u-bolt kit which had perfect spacing to fit under the front tank bolts.

Bad angle in this pic. I can see the gauges fine over the top of the GPS when sitting on the bike.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #2083
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
That's exactly how I mounted my GPS. Shorter arm though.

Wired a USB connector to the battery with a relay off the license plate light. Just checked Amazon and the one I bought is now 2X what I paid for it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't pretend you aren't going to ass around with that sprocket setup before changing it. Third gear wheelies are hard to resist.
seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #2084
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,892
What are the fairings on the 4th gen VFRs made out of? Is it ABS?

One of the rear "tabs" on my solo seat cowl is about to break off -- I noticed this the last time I had the cowl and seat off for maintenance -- the tab is holding on "by a thread" as they say. Fortunately I didn't actually lose it.

If the plastic is indeed ABS, I'd think I could use that special ABS cement to repair the tab. Thoughts?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #2085
creaky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
I have had good results with Loctite Plastic Bonder. Scuff the area to be repaired with 80 grit sandpaper, clean the area with PVC primer, apply the Loctite and allow at least 24 hours for complete cure.
'96 XR400
"Once you go over the hill, you start picking up speed!"
creaky is offline   Reply With Quote