Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #15841
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

This is driving me insane. First the whole thing about hitting a deer and breaking my wrist, then it took six weeks to get a stupid alternator cover from England, then more trouble with the repairs when I first got my bike back, therefore back in the shop, now I find that shit with the center stand ... there's a little voice telling me that I'm not very lucky with this bike.
The problem isn't the bike the problem is you are stuck relying on other people which these days means there is a good chance you will be let down. I don't have a facebook account but if you do you might want to do a little bitching on the triumph page regarding having to wait 6 weeks for a common replacement part such as the alternator cover. They seem to monitor that FB page more than any other form of communication from what I have heard.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #15842
cug

Oddometer: 4,182
I agree that it's not the bike - but it's giving me a bad after taste after all these troubles. I've never had so much trouble with any vehicle I had and that's giving me headaches. I have so little spare time because I work my ass off in my normal job, so I don't want to spend ANY of that spare time with hassles like this.

Pilot, where are you? I want that type of service, too!

Btw: I do get this type of service from my BMW dealership. I never had any issues with them, when they made a mistake, they went above all expectations to make it right, and so on. I'm not a brand snob, I've had bikes from most big manufacturers over the years, but my brand selection tends to go more and more towards where I get the best service. Even if I like another bike a little better, I'll keep myself away from it because I know what it means for me if I get these troubles again. I plain have better things to do with my spare time than dealing with this. And a good shop goes a loooooong way towards a hassle free and happy vehicle ownership.

Quick update: I don't have a Facebook account and I don't want to create one just for that. Just another decision I made long ago ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #15843
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
I agree. Your local dealer makes all the difference in the world if you have to depend on them for service. Its the total opposite around here as far as dealer reliability. The Triumph and BMW dealers here are top notch. The worst dealer in the world, from a service stand point, is the jap bike shops. I hear horror stories all the time from people that rely on them. One of the best places here to get service is actually a consignment shop that use to be a Honda dealer. Most people with jap bikes are now taking there bikes to him.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #15844
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I had a mix up at my dealership, basically one hand not talking to the other and my issues getting lost in the mix. Long story short, I wanted to replace a minor part, but wasn't sure if it would be covered by the warranty or not. Having worked in customer service before, I didn't want to raise a big stink and be a pain, but I was getting a little frustrated with having to keep sending emails and not getting clear answers. As it happened, I got an email from Triumph HQ that was a customer satisfaction survey. I filled it out, voicing my headaches, and within a day or two, the general manager got in touch with me, was extremely apologetic and got everything sorted out.

He said that everything would be covered by the warranty, but since it was a warranty issue, I would have to bring the bike in to have the parts replaced rather than just picking them up on my own. That was kind of a headache for me, but he offered to have someone come and pick my bike up, do the work, and bring it back. I thought that was too much, and arranged to bring it in on a weekend when I was free. When I went to get the part installed, I stuck my head in the GM's door and thanked him again for helping get everything sorted out. He apologized again, and said that when my 6K service came up, he'd already put it down for 50% off for me.

This is my first time actually working with a MC dealership, as I'm wary of dealerships in general. These guys have definitely made up for any issues I had earlier though, and have earned my business for the future. Anybody looking for a Triumph in the Seattle area, go to Lynnwood CycleBarn, they're good people there.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #15845
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Pilot, where are you? I want that type of service, too!
I'm out of Portland, OR. Latus Motors in Gladstone, OR. Let me know if I can help out.

p3
Old 02-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #15846
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Anybody looking for a Triumph in the Seattle area, go to Lynnwood CycleBarn, they're good people there.
Geez...I bought my first new motorcycle there...in 1973!!

It used to be LYNWOOD SUZUKI. At the time they had a new brand from Austria, made in a bicycle factory called KTM. It was a Penton ISDT 125.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #15847
cug

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
I'm out of Portland, OR. Latus Motors in Gladstone, OR. Let me know if I can help out.
A bit far away (664 highway miles) for a service appointment for me ...

But I'll certainly keep this in mind if I travel north and need any kind of service on the bike. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #15848
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
And, completely unrelated, I'd like to thank everyone logged in this morning for helping burn away the first 4 hours of my Friday at work! Only 6 to go.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #15849
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,051
Thanks to all who replied on regarding my post "why do I NOT want to buy a Tiger?"

I have ridden the 800... unfortunately the XC is just a tad to TALL "feeling" for me... so that brings the next question:

Is there any significant difference (aside from tires/wheels) between the XC and the standard 800?

thanks,
-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #15850
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Thanks to all who replied on regarding my post "why do I NOT want to buy a Tiger?"

I have ridden the 800... unfortunately the XC is just a tad to TALL "feeling" for me... so that brings the next question:

Is there any significant difference (aside from tires/wheels) between the XC and the standard 800?

thanks,
-Brian
Yes, there's a significant difference in the suspension as well.

Why is it 'too tall feeling'? Your feet go on the pegs, not on the ground.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #15851
cug

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Mainly suspension (higher, plusher, better quality, I find it's too soft for my taste for my typical road riding), handle bar (wider, different bend), higher risers (30mm), some farkles (handguards, ...), beak.

I've added XC risers to my Roadie but I like the Roadie handle bars much better, I'll likely add a beak fairly soon, just like the looks ...
Old 02-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #15852
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Geez...I bought my first new motorcycle there...in 1973!!

It used to be LYNWOOD SUZUKI. At the time they had a new brand from Austria, made in a bicycle factory called KTM. It was a Penton ISDT 125.

Now your telling your age, Browneye. 1973? Hell, I wasnt even in kindergarden yet!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #15853
brooklyn slim
nasty, brutish and tall

Oddometer: 2,274
Dunno if this has been covered elsewhere, but what top-opening panniers ride narrowest on the roadie? I like the Motech Trax boxes, but with their rack they're hella wide. Does someone make a rack that hugs the bike closer so that the bags wind up being near-handlebar width?

Top-opening only, please.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #15854
Photo Boy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn slim View Post
Dunno if this has been covered elsewhere, but what top-opening panniers ride narrowest on the roadie? I like the Motech Trax boxes, but with their rack they're hella wide. Does someone make a rack that hugs the bike closer so that the bags wind up being near-handlebar width?

The 9" Safari Jesse bags are supposed to be only 35 inches across.
Photo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #15855
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn slim View Post

I found these fit very close. They come in silver aluminum or black;

http://holan.pl/en/product/24/507/51...s_for_Tiger800
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote