Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #316
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,487
2 batteries

Drone
If you use a CPAC for sleep do they make a 12v model ? Add a battery to the trunk, I have some good welding cable for you, you get an isolator and away you go if your not going to use it to start the bike the cable sizes can be smaller.
Can you give up any trunk room ? A odyssey back there on the right side is ballast, power and luxury.DB
Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #317
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Blue+...Fap_QgodOwgAZw

In the spirit of kiss (keep it simple stupid) this in the trunk on your ballast battery box allows manual disconnect you'll have to turn it back on when you go ridding to recharge the second battery but it can't be any simpler or more reliable.But I operate under the delusion that simple & reliable where what people who owned BMW's originally sought.DB
Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #318
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Blue+...Fap_QgodOwgAZw

In the spirit of kiss (keep it simple stupid) this in the trunk on your ballast battery box allows manual disconnect you'll have to turn it back on when you go ridding to recharge the second battery but it can't be any simpler or more reliable.But I operate under the delusion that simple & reliable where what people who owned BMW's originally sought.DB
What, this thing here??--

It only has two positions! That dial is big enough to support at least 8 different choices. Whoever designed that thing is clearly lacking imagination.

But seriously, those voltage sensing relays and diode isolators all require lots of wiring and connections. Kinda cool, but why not a simple switch for a simple solution? I like it!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #319
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Here's the next big thing I've done--upgraded my rear shock. It's an Ohlins BM 215-1.

That extra 2cm at the shock translates to a 4cm change at the axle.

Color me confused , but how does putting on a longer shock alter axle height ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Not everything is going up, though, I'm also going to try a 175/65-15 tire which will lower my axle about 1cm.

... this bit I get ... if your previous tire had a larger diameter.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #320
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Rear Ohlins Shock - Rebuilt and Re-Sprung

Here's the next big thing -- I've upgraded my rear shock. It's an Ohlins BM 215-1.

Last September I upgraded my front shock--just a straight rebuild of the Ohlins BM 216-2 but with a new size 15 spring (354 lb) replacing the size 13 (331 lb) I had. Cost $300. I also increased my rebound damper to 10 clicks back from all the way. Went on two backcountry camping trips after that and was really happy with the result. My front end sag was reduced, and my travel was increased, no more bottoming the front shock in holes, wallowing almost completely eliminated, and the handling was just generally nicer. I posted a pic of it back on page 16 but here it is again--

Encouraged by the front shock improvement, I decided to bite the bullet and do the rear shock too. This one cost $500--basic rebuild service was $210, plus another $40 because the remote preload adjuster was totally blown, plus $100 for the new spring, PLUS--another $130 to add a Ride Height Adjuster! (for you math wizards--the rest is sales tax.) My new spring is a 1095-84-200 (1142 lb) replacing a 1095-64-160 (914 lb) so that's about a 25% increase in spring rate. Yes, I know - huge!

Lots of angst went into this. Here's some of the threads that helped with the decision--
2004 1150 GSA needs new shocks
New shocks for 04 GSA rig
GS aftermarket spring calculations?
Ohlins for GSA question
Ohlin spring rate markings on spring?
Ohlins spring rate?? for 1150 ADV
Goliath has come to play
Because it seems like several guys with 1150GS hacks have blown out the seals on the pre-load adjuster (including me) I'm convinced that the adjuster is not really robust enough to deal with the strain of a sidecar rig. I'm gonna run mine with the pre-load adjuster backed off all the way to "zero". Then, using the collar on the shock body, I put just a little bit of pre-load tension on the spring. The idea here is to give me as much travel as possible, and the softest ride as possible, given the stiffness of the spring. Like the front shock, I plan to start out with the rebound damping at 10 clicks from full.

Here's a pic of the OEM shock, my new Ohlins shock, and the old spring--

Now, about that Ride Height Adjuster. This is an option available straight from Ohlins. In the pic above, I have the adjuster all the way tight--in other words, the shock is as short as it will go. Even so, my shock is now 416mm eye-to-eye. Too long! The OEM shock is 390mm. My swingarm only has 404mm of total travel. After I took this pic, I brought the shock back to the shop and asked them to shorten it to 400mm with the RHA turned out about 10mm. This they did (no charge) by changing around the internal stops on the shock.

OK, so now my shock is 10mm longer than the stock shock which translates to about a 20mm change in ride height measured at the axle. I'm not sure how much my ride height and ground clearance have changed in total with the longer shock and the stiffer spring, but clearly it'll be more than it was. The only measurement I've made so far is the static sag (which means, as I'm using it here, the distance the suspension sags under the bike's weight alone, without a rider, from its fully extended position, as measured from the rear axle to the frame). With my old spring it was 2-1/2 inches (65mm). Now it's about 5/8" (16mm). That seems like a pretty decent improvement!

Not everything is going upwards, though, I'm also going to try a 175/65-15 tire which will lower my axle height about 10mm from the 155/80-15 Snow+ tire I used the last two seasons (link to tire calculator).

One thing that seems like almost too much of a coincidence is the ground clearance on the bike now as it sits in the garage. The lowest point on the bike is the subframe and right now (with no rider) the very front of the subframe and the very rear of the subframe are both exactly 9 inches from the garage floor. In other words, the bike looks totally level. How'd that happen? Dumb luck I guess. I'll have to load it up and get on board then have Queen Bee get down on the floor and re-measure to see what it looks like fully loaded.

How does it ride? Don't know yet. Still got a few more things on my winter punch list to do before I take it out on the road. I will post up more pics and my impressions later on this Spring.

Next up? I've got to get that new FD installed, and I'm adding a custom-made alu cage for an aux gas can.

DRONE screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 05:51 PM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #321
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

I'm sure I'll get an education

Drone likes lots of spring so does Stroker and Mikepa destroys expensive shocks, you guys all have big heavy rigs and load them up to go wandering.It all seems too stiff to me but I haven't enough experience yet.I have 2 numbers higher at both ends than Ohlins recommends for a GS on PPS's recommendation. So I'd better wait and see.I'm pretty sure Drones not guilty of any craziness like getting the rig airborne but Strokers definitely a loose cannon.
I'd want more sag than 5/8" but who knows on a hack, the problem being I don't think one wants the shock to top out going over small rises fast.Onward and forward.
I think I hate my 2 battery setup but am still waiting for stuff from E Beaver, before I make up my mind.Don't ask the Queen Bee crawl around the garage measuring your rig,but again I lack experience I'm older than you and a bachelor ! DB
Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #322
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

70 Miles of Extra Gas

Man, some of the cool stuff guys are doing this winter, like Zipper's build, and BMWEuro's 1150GS! I'm a little embarrassed to post up my next mod. All I did was add 2-1/2 gallons of extra gas in a CARB-compliant plastic bottle.

I picked this particular bottle because the spout system actually works! It doesn't drip or leak, and dispenses fuel accurately into the tank (and not onto the tank) when needed. Lots of guys like those 5-gallon metal jerry cans, but one of those would block my turn signal/running light if I mounted it behind the sidecar wheel, and I simply don't like the looks of them mounted up front. Plus I kinda like the way No-Spill Jill handles that spout!

Once I'd chosen the right bottle, then I paid a welder to fab up a cage for it from aluminum. Here's what I got--

I mounted it with four 6mm stainless bolts, with body washers and nylock nuts inside the trunk, and 1/8" rubber grommets on the bolts so that the cage would not be rubbing the sidecar body constantly. Also so dust and dirt could flow past instead of building up. Here's what it looks like--

It's a tight fit and the bottle stays in place OK, but I added the two velcro straps just to make sure it doesn't move. I also had the welder add a padlock tab in the back so if I'm parked someplace where I think pilferage might be a concern, I can padlock the bottle to the rack using a small chain.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how well the bottle is going to deal with temperature changes. Extra pressure can be outgassed easily by pressing the green button on the spout, but I'm hoping it won't be something I have to think about.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #323
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
DRONE:

Nice looking. What did you put inside the trunk wall to support the extra weight of the gas can? Elmer added more fiberglass mats to his setup. [picture is in post #77 of his build thread, http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=ingrid

Wonder if the no-fill would fit in a peg-packer? My rig has one of the Best Rest models mounted on the frame between the tub and tug. Location makes it very easy to fill at the pump without having to move the rig or unmount the can.

Do you know if No-Spill has/had the same leak problem on their 2.5 gal as on the 5 gal??

"U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Release # 10-102
Gas Cans Recalled by No-Spill; Containers Can Leak and Create Fire Hazard
Name of Product: No-Spill 5-gallon Gasoline Cans
Units: About 7,500
Manufacturer: No-Spill LLC, of Lenexa, Kan.
Hazard: The gas containers can leak fuel at the black plastic collar where the spout connects to the can, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers".

Thanks,
Duncan
Old 02-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #324
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Duncan--it only weighs 15 lbs when it's full so I'm not worried about the sidecar body being tough enough to hold it. I just used some 1.5" body washers and I'm calling it good. If the mounts start to show any signs of fatigue, I'll use some JB Weld to attach a couple of aluminum straps to the inside of the trunk. But I doubt it'll come to that.

As for that recall, there was a small percentage of 5-gallon bottles manufactured during a 3-week period in the summer of 2009 that wouldn't seal right. 99.9% of No-Spill's bottles were not in the recall. As for my bottle, I filled it with gas then lay it on its side and stepped on it--no leak. Then I left it there overnight--no leak. Good enough for me!

I don't think the No-Spill will fit a Peg Packer. The shape is different. I considered putting the bottle between the bike and the car but decided (1) the spout ends up too close to where Kirby likes to rest his head, (2) because I wear size 48 boots there would not be much room leftover for me to get my foot on and off the peg, (3) I'd have to remove the entire rack every time I wanted to adjust the lean-out or otherwise fiddle with the set-up, and (4) even though it doesn't weigh much, it's better to have the weight on the outside.

Ya see, I actually did give this some thought before I did it!
Old 02-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #325
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Nice rack your almost a Gearhead Ned !!!!! I would have considered mounting it slightly higher, and making it deeper hanging a second AGM or Qdyssey battery below it, ballast,amps and fuel whats not to like.DB
Old 02-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #326
XL-erate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I do so enjoy your build there, DRONE! Obviously a product of deep thought, with cleverness and excellent workmanship in the mix the result will no doubt be stupendous!

Worthy of note and not to be missed, every detail is addressed: even the oriental carpet laying beneath the hack of honor, lest lowly concrete and its vapor corrode. Not only that, but it's even carefully color- keyed to match and reflect the colors of the hack! Details....
XL-erate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #327
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Nice rack your almost a Gearhead Ned !!!!! I would have considered mounting it slightly higher, and making it deeper hanging a second AGM or Qdyssey battery below it, ballast,amps and fuel whats not to like.DB
Didn't want to block the taillight/turn signal. Had to keep it low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL-erate View Post
I do so enjoy your build there, DRONE! Obviously a product of deep thought, with cleverness and excellent workmanship in the mix the result will no doubt be stupendous!

Worthy of note and not to be missed, every detail is addressed: even the oriental carpet laying beneath the hack of honor, lest lowly concrete and its vapor corrode. Not only that, but it's even carefully color- keyed to match and reflect the colors of the hack! Details....
Thanks, XL! Ya know, I paid $20 for that carpet at a garage sale. Beats the hell out of working on cement when yer wrenching on something. Check Craigslist--lots of cheap rugs out there -- then you too can do your wrenching in style!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #328
XL-erate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Thanks, great idea, but one minor drawback: garage? At best I scrounge up a scrap of plywood and call it luxury but at least I have plenty of room to work!
XL-erate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #329
Gentleman Adventurer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Drone;

Have you filled your tank from the No Spill Can yet?

Just wondering if that short spout works as well as the video indicates?

Thanks;

Keith
Old 03-02-2013, 03:57 AM   #330
zipper421
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
gas

that looks nice