ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #61
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 6,208
ooooh that place looks real gooood...
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:18 AM   #62
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
Damn it.
Every time I read through this thread I REALLY want some good bbq.
Well, since this thread started, my required daily allowance of barbecue has jumped quite a bit, but coincidentally, so has my actual intake.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #63
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunt View Post
How about a meet, greet, ride & eat here sometime? It is hard to beat a good ride, great BBQ and an even better bench racing/BS'ing session.

http://www.pik-n-pig.com/

<>< Fish
Is that the place that RIding Donkeys suggested as an Eastern NC ADV lunch/dinner place recently? I feel sure that I've seen that pop up somewhere.

Looks like it's about 25 miles from the current Southeast tag and open for a few hours on Sunday...

Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #64
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,337
I checked the eastern NC ADV dinner thread and yes it is the same place. My work scheduled is so screwed up right now that I don't know if I can make the dinner.

<>< Fish

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
Old 01-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #65
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The date of the lunch is the same weekend as my kid's birthday. If I take Friday off and go to Boone for that, I may be able to get to this one.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #66
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

i am supposed to be at a deaf hs basketball tournament that weekend...i might be able to get out of it...working on it...I'd really rather be much closer to home...and go riding too
Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #67
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5punksdad View Post
found this thread entertaining....Dave, looks like u could use a Lysol wipe on that remote!!
Made me look also. Damn that thing is nasty. Switched to Direct TV, have not even used that remote for a month, but tracked it down and gave it a good cleanin
Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #68
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bob's Barbecue - Creedmoor, NC - 2/9/2013

Okay, enough of this non riding for barbecue nonsense. I've been hitting one of the local places pretty often for lunch during the week as it's just hard to pass up a barbecue buffet for $8.00. I guess that's cut my motivation down on the weekends to search out new places a bit. But, it was early in the week this past week and I needed to meet a couple family members and this place was fairly central to all of us. Plus, it's a reasonably decent ride if you stick to the back roads between here and there.

I've been to this place a bunch and it's always been pretty good, but the last time I was there, it just seemed, well, "tired" for lack of a better word. It was time to give it another shot.

Bob's Barbecue
1589 NC Highway 56
Creedmoor, NC 27522
(919) 528-2081

Plenty of parking, but the lot will fill up during lunch and dinner rush

It's a pretty good size place as far as barbecue places go, with plenty of tables, etc. You order at the counter, pay at the register and have a seat. The stuff they serve most is kept hot behind the counter and is dished out cafeteria-style while in line. Anything other than barbecue, slaw, etc. comes from the kitchen directly behind the counter and they bring it to the table.

Fairly extensive menu for this kind of place and it's all written on several boards hanging behind the counter. In the past, I've had the pork chops, which are some of my favorite on the planet. My girlfriend typically gets the fried shrimp which she says are always close to perfect. They've got fried fish, oysters, chicken and all the usual suspects like Brunswick Stew, etc. as well as fried bologna burgers, cheeseburgers and the like.

Honestly, I wasn't in the mood to delve deeper than the surface, so I went with the old standby - barbecue, fries and slaw. Yeah, I know, but it was what worked today.

Two different house sauces as well as Tabasco and Texas Pete

The barbecue was definitely up to their previous standards today. Moist, slightly smoky and very fresh tasting. Slaw is on the very slightly sweetish/creamy side and nothing to write home about, but not distracting either. Fries beat fast food by a long shot, but they're, you know, fries.

The two sauces were one that looked like mostly plain cider vinegar and one that looked more interesting. As it turned out, the darker one was on the sweet side as far as I was concerned and brought nothing to the table, but the more clear one had a good bit more flavor and I kept going back to it. Not very spicy, but lots of flavor. Hushpuppies were fresh, hot and plentiful. You can go back for as many as you like.

They have a selection of pre-packaged pie slices for desert. Don't know if they make them in house or bought outside, but they're good enough. Sweet potato, Chess, coconut cream, chocolate, etc.

Glad I went back and they're definitely back on the list. Pretty good riding in the area and worth a stop if you're nearby. Probably good as a destination if you're not too far out either.

Yelp review:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bobs-barbecue-creedmoor

Old 02-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #69
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wilson's B-B-Q, South Hill, VA - 2/15/2013

Went on a tag run into VA today and decided I'd try to find a barbecue place at random. Passed a sign for "Bone Suckerz", but the place had either been knocked down or burned down or something. The name had me a little scared anyway. Didn't know if it was a cutesy barbecue/ribs place or a East Coast version of a San Fransisco bath house...

Anyway, saw a place called Wilson's B-B-Q with a fairly full parking lot. It was about 4:15 and the sign said they didn't open until 5, but...

1224 W Danville St
South Hill, VA 23970
(434) 447-7440

Typically, I tend to think of VA barbecue places as restaurants that aren't necessarily dedicated barbecue joints, but something they just offer on the menu. This, although within a few miles of the NC border, was one of those places.

The entire menu:

Lots of tasty sounding stuff on the menu and if I make it back there on the proper day, I really want to try the "Blacken Pork Chops". But, this is a barbecue thread, so...

I ordered a "regular minced BBQ plate" for $6.99. Came with two sides. I ordered string beans and slaw.

Barbecue was pretty decent. Don't know if they do it there or not. I didn't check around back. Moist, fresh, decently seasoned. The slaw was good and obviously prepared onsite. Don't know why, but I prefer shredded to minced slaw. Some might call me a heretic for that, but it is what it is. This was very finely shredded and not at all overly sweet. Fresh and crisp. Very enjoyable. The string beans were done right. Cooked to within an inch of being something other than beans. Very easy to do them right from where I sit, but not enough folks outside the barbecue, southern home cooking places seem to have a clue.

Now, the hushpuppies. Someone that knows these folks needs to go in there and tell them that YOU JUST DO NOT MICROWAVE OLD HUSHPUPPIES. Good Lord, folks. Do the regulars not know? Inexcusable. Seriously. Even the most horrible little joint knows better. Say you've run out. It's Virginia, say you've only got rolls or something, but, damn!

Rant off

Their sauces were homemade in western NC style. Picked up a bottle and thought this looks like ketchup with a bunch of vinegar dumped in. And, wouldn't you know it...

This was actually the better of the two sauces and not nearly as bad as I might be making it sound. For a ketchup based sauce, it was pretty decently seasoned. Not my favorite, but certainly not bad. The "mild" sauce on the other hand was seasoned with something that would probably work better in fruit cake. Truly awful by any standard. They also had Texas Pete, etc.

Bottom line:
Some parts were better than I expected from a VA barbecue place - the barbecue and the sides - and some were worse. I would go back and try some other menu items without hesitation. Nice place for the most part. Good size. Plenty of parking. Decent service. Good south side Virginia riding in the area. Rural in every direction within a few miles.

Yelp review:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/wilson-bros-barbecue-south-hill

Old 02-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #70
now it's just Al
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Went on a tag run into VA today and decided I'd try to find a barbecue place at random.

Bottom line:
Some parts were better than I expected from a VA barbecue place - the barbecue and the sides - and some were worse. I would go back and try some other menu items without hesitation. Nice place for the most part. Good size. Plenty of parking. Decent service. Good south side Virginia riding in the area. Rural in every direction within a few miles.
. Knowing your feelings on VA BBQ, I was waiting to see how many oinks you didn't give

I've always been pleased there, but I have simple, or maybe no taste buds

You looking at this? http://www.smokechasing.com/home.aspx

Old 02-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #71
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by now it's just Al View Post
Thanks!
Someone pointed that out to me last year, but I was too late to get involved.

I'd forgotten about it until you just now pointed it out.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #72
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,723
Great thread.

And cool Versys.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:37 AM   #73
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks.
Been an odd 2013 so far and haven't had much of a chance to go anywhere with this in a bit.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #74
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

I was riding down to Kinston and passed King's BBQ in Snow Hill...onmy return I stopped in and had the bbq sandwich with Cole slaw and hushpuppies...since I was I the cage I only ate the hushpups'. They were good...sweet tasting...the sandwich I had later and it got soggy from the slaw...but the Q was very vinegary much like the BBQ Barn in Butner. BTW I'm told that there is also a BBQ Barn Louisburg as well...;)

Sent fromDROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-07-2013, 03:16 AM   #75
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Didn't know there was a Pink Pig in Louisburg. There are some really good spots out in the Kinston area though.