Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #466
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post

Drive over to Motoprimo right down the street and pick up a tube. Go back to Leo's to show the salesman.

Me: This is what I was trying to get.
Salesman: that must be a new product. Real grease would work better.
Salesman #2: That's not new, we carry that, but I think we're out. Besides the No Toil cleaner wouldn't work on regular grease and negates using a bio friendly product.
Salesman #1: I've heard that the K&N stuff is better.

Both me and salesman#2 roll our eyes and walk off.

Is his name Jerry by chance?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #467
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Is his name Jerry by chance?
Clean cut bigger guy, I can't remember his name. Bearded parts guy was salesman 2
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:00 AM   #468
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,014
Sometimes they win one.

I'm at the local auto show, and as the wife and I are fast walking through the conversion van section (people still buy those stupid things?) there is a corner with a Ducati display. I've never really looked at Ducatis, and a very pretty Multistrada is right out front. I stop. My wife looks at me puzzled. I feel the trickle of saliva start at the corner of my mouth. Then I see the price tag. $20,000! That curbs the drool flow and I get ready to move on, but the sole sales rep catches me and we talk bikes for a bit. I of course explain that, being a former KLR rider and now astride a Wee Strom that a bike of this magnitude is something I can only afford to think about while in my dark man-cave with a glass of Tennessee Honey in my hand. He chuckles and says his offer for me to come ride it still stands. His philosophy is, even if I can't afford one, I may wax endlessly to some friend who can. "Come and ride it whenever you want." We talk more, and it turns out they also conveniently sell Suzuki...are nearly equidistant from my home as the Other Dealer that I loathe and spit at as I ride by...and would be more than happy to do my annual state inspection while I wait with no appointment. How did I not know this place existed?

I was pretty sure I dream't this, but the brochure and card from the guy are still here on my desk, so I guess it's real.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #469
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
Sometimes they win one.

I was pretty sure I dream't this, but the brochure and card from the guy are still here on my desk, so I guess it's real.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #470
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
I was out of filter rim seal grease one time. Figgered F-it and used Bel-Ray waterproof green I had sitting on the bench. BIG mistake! The petroleum base dissolved my foam air filter.
Uh oh.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #471
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
What the mechanic at the dealership said to me

Stopped at multi-dealership in Pikeville Kentucky some years ago. 3PM friday afternoon. Bike was running rough.

Me: Bike is running rough and I'm several states from home.
Them: We will be happy to take a look but we only have two mechanics on duty right now.
Me: I'll wait

A bit later:

Them: We don't have the service manual for your bike. We sold our shop manual to a guy who needed one right now and our new one hasn't come in yet.
Me: I have one here.
Them: Great, roll it in and let's start looking.

Me: It has never had the valves adjusted and has 10,000 miles. Book says check valves (bucket and shim type) every 7,500 miles.
Them: Probably not the valve clearance. With a Kawasaki you can usually go 30,000 miles before you need to replace the shims but we will be happy to take a look. Did you buy gas from XXXXX stations? They are known to sell bad gas".
Me: I don't remember, rather be safe than sorry, still have two weeks of vacation and want to ride
Them: OK.
Me: I can start the disassembly process.
Them: OK, lets get it up on the forklift and strap it down so it doesn't fall.

Me working in their shop with my tools and my book and no question about "insurance requirements".

Them: All the clearances are fine. You don't need any new parts. You could use a new air cleaner but it can wait a while if you want.
Me: I'll take it
Bike all back together.

I overhear the service manager/mechanic talking to the owner:

Mechanic/Service Manager: "Well, he did most of the work with his tools and his manual. I don't see how we can really charge him much at all. Hell, we should hire him. "

Owner: "Well he was in for 4 hours and I have to pay you guys overtime (remember Friday night). Charge him for the air cleaner and one hour of labor. That will make us all even and everyone wins".

Mechanic/Service Manger: "Mr. XXX, that will be $$$$$". Oh and BTW, since you asked there is a good clean reasonable priced motel just up here (instructions provided). Places to eat right there too.

I really wish I could remember the name of the place but it wasn't far from a Motel 8 and Pikeville Ky just can't be that big. Scored another great servce deal at a Kawasaki dealership in Hazard KY (yes, there is such a place) on the return leg. Helpful and didn't try to rape me on price. Even gave me a free dealership T shirt and all the staff signed it. They had a new (several years old by then) W650 and were still listing it at original MSRP. I talked with the owner about that one. He said it had never even had the battery charged and was brand new and he was selling it but wasn't giving it away. Still wish I had had the money then to buy that one.\

So.......... There really are some good honest people out there still trying to make a living and not a killing. There are also those who only want the big $$ deals. Shop wisely. Caveat Emptor

And ride safe.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #472
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

"Endorsement? You don't need no stinking Endorsement!!!"

Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #473
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 187
Last fall, I acquired my first motorcycle through my brother who has been a BMW mechanic for 50 years. He brought the bike down to me, to spend a few days riding and teaching me how to do the basic maintenance on the bike, and decided that we should replace and reroute some fuel line. We went to one of our two local motorcycle shops to buy the line. My brother first asked for so much fuel line, then as an afterthought, asked if the shop happened to carry a specific kind of line that he really likes. We would take whatever, but he prefers this line.

The owner/manager has no idea that my brother is a mechanic or owns his own shop, he does however know that I am just getting my first bike, need all the gear, and will need service for said bike in the future. This guy absolutely goes off when my bro asks about the specific fuel line. He starts a big rant about how we live in a small town here (about 6000 people) and you can't expect to just walk in and find some unheard of exotic fuel line. Where do you think you are? Denver?

We were both shocked. The guy was insanely rude. My brother informed him that 1) we were just asking, and 2) his shop is litterally in the middle of no where in a much more rural area than we live in. The nearest town has about 250 people in it, and he caries this line. It is nothing exotic. We leave, drive about 200 yards up the street to the other, competing, dealer in town. They are extremely polite and carry that kind of line in two variations.

I figure the guy must have been having a bad day, but that doesn't change the fact that I will NEVER EVER set foot in his shop again. I have been back to the second place a couple of times already for parts and service. This attitude isn't limited to motorcycle shops, but these are the same guys that continually gripe about how hard it is to stay in business in our little piece of paradise. Get a clue!!
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #474
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone View Post
Them: OK, lets get it up on the forklift and strap it down so it doesn't fall.
A forklift? Did you bring your bike in on a pallet?
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #475
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
Glad to know my FWD F150 is air cooled.
I didn't even know Ford made front wheel drive pickups. That's something new. I've just seen 4WD's and Any Wheel Drives.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #476
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
I didn't even know Ford made front wheel drive pickups. That's something new. I've just seen 4WD's and Any Wheel Drives.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #477
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
"if you're brand new to riding, do NOT buy a GSX-R. they are for experienced riders and frankly overkill for the street."

i wish i could find that salesman and thank him.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #478
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBanner View Post
"if you're brand new to riding, do NOT buy a GSX-R. they are for experienced riders and frankly overkill for the street."

i wish i could find that salesman and thank him.
Several years ago I was on a quick day trip to Houston and since I had a bit of time before heading home decided to stop bye a mega-dealer to check out bikes. While there, a high-school kid and his mom come in. He was getting his first motorcycle. Yeah, you know where this is going... He would have nothing other than a GSXR1000. Yeah, I know they are cool and all, but really?

The salesman was doing all he could to get the kid on something else, as a last resort he offered the kid a pretty decent deal on a GSXR600. Just to keep him off the liter bike. Mom said the kid could have whatever so long as the money wasn't overspent, kid would have nothing other than a 1000. Oh, of course the kid had not been to any type of motorcycle training.

When the kid and mom went to finance I talked to the salesman for a bit. He seemed genuinely scared and told me "I hope I don't read about that kid in the news next week."

Obviously, I have no idea what ever happened. I hope it turned out well for the kid. Kudos to the salesman for trying.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #479
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Several years ago I was on a quick day trip to Houston and since I had a bit of time before heading home decided to stop bye a mega-dealer to check out bikes. While there, a high-school kid and his mom come in. He was getting his first motorcycle. Yeah, you know where this is going... He would have nothing other than a GSXR1000. Yeah, I know they are cool and all, but really?

The salesman was doing all he could to get the kid on something else, as a last resort he offered the kid a pretty decent deal on a GSXR600. Just to keep him off the liter bike. Mom said the kid could have whatever so long as the money wasn't overspent, kid would have nothing other than a 1000. Oh, of course the kid had not been to any type of motorcycle training.

When the kid and mom went to finance I talked to the salesman for a bit. He seemed genuinely scared and told me "I hope I don't read about that kid in the news next week."

Obviously, I have no idea what ever happened. I hope it turned out well for the kid. Kudos to the salesman for trying.
Should have taken the mom on one side for a "chat". Kid would have hated you for it...
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #480
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
I was in my local dealership a few years back when a kid came in to buy a Ninja. Salesman asked his riding background and kid confesses he's never ridden and didn't have his Class 6 endorsement. Salesman gave him a few brochures on riding schools and sent him on his way.

I was impressed. He wasn't rude just firm that the kid should learn to ride then come back and find something that fit his ability.
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote