Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
KLR650Teach OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
fullmetalscooter, I have seen hundreds of Honda Cargo's in Mexico in the 125cc confinguration. When did they go to the 150cc engine? I get the impression it is just recently? And is it as durable as the old 125cc?

I have issues with the petroleum companies. Not that I cannot afford the gas, I just hate lining their pockets with profits at my and your expense. So fuel economy is paramont for me. The more MPG I can get, the more I can flip the bird at them.

Any idea if the CG125 does as well or better than the 125 Cargo for gas mileage? Seems I have read reports of 120 mpg for the Cargo in the 125 varient.

And here is a twist.

The Old Man on a Bike who rode a 125 Cargo to Ushuiah South America..............Oddly on the bikes side cover it said CG125. And this is on a Cargo 125. This is confusing because the Honda Tool is prefixed as the CGL125 Tool. Any chance the CG is in reference to the 125 engine?

Anyones insight here is appreciated. Thanks
KLR650Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR650Teach View Post
fullmetalscooter, I have seen hundreds of Honda Cargo's in Mexico in the 125cc confinguration. When did they go to the 150cc engine? I get the impression it is just recently? And is it as durable as the old 125cc?

I have issues with the petroleum companies. Not that I cannot afford the gas, I just hate lining their pockets with profits at my and your expense. So fuel economy is paramont for me. The more MPG I can get, the more I can flip the bird at them.

Any idea if the CG125 does as well or better than the 125 Cargo for gas mileage? Seems I have read reports of 120 mpg for the Cargo in the 125 varient.

And here is a twist.

The Old Man on a Bike who rode a 125 Cargo to Ushuiah South America..............Oddly on the bikes side cover it said CG125. And this is on a Cargo 125. This is confusing because the Honda Tool is prefixed as the CGL125 Tool. Any chance the CG is in reference to the 125 engine?

Anyones insight here is appreciated. Thanks

The 150 came out a year or 2 ago as far as I know. I really don't know the rest I would guess around the same but using google to find honda motorcycle mexico and translate it to find the info. I thought of flying to mexico and riding one back but never did. 25cc should not make much a mpg diff. HOnda isn't like china shit so I don't see why it wouldn't be up to par. At worst the engine is something they designed 20 year ago or something like that . That just a guess. Often scooter and bike engines stay in production in other markets decades after they ve vashished here. If you making a scooter and have tooling for an engine you ll use it till the cows come home . Just brings down the production cost.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,566
today i went to my local honda dealer where I bought my scooter.

The tool and the cargo are and feel different. One thing I had not read, since it is a feeling thing is the distance seat to pegs, the tool has a shorter distance, while the cargo 150 feels more standard and the feet are not under the shoulders for my 5'8" height

The new cargos 150 are made in Mexico (see VIN # starts with a 3) My scooter is made in Mexico by honda and after 1 year of been mostly cover with a MC cover and sleeping outside always, it still looks like new (when clean) and everything works fine, and now I am thinking about a cargo for next Christmas (if I do not get a CB500)

Damasovi
Old 02-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #19
KLR650Teach OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
today i went to my local honda dealer where I bought my scooter.

The tool and the cargo are and feel different. One thing I had not read, since it is a feeling thing is the distance seat to pegs, the tool has a shorter distance, while the cargo 150 feels more standard and the feet are not under the shoulders for my 5'8" height

The new cargos 150 are made in Mexico (see VIN # starts with a 3) My scooter is made in Mexico by honda and after 1 year of been mostly cover with a MC cover and sleeping outside always, it still looks like new (when clean) and everything works fine, and now I am thinking about a cargo for next Christmas (if I do not get a CB500)

Damasovi
I'm curious, before Honda changed the Cargo from a 125cc to a 150cc was the 125cc engine of the Cargo the same as the 125cc engine in the Tool?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,640
Where in Mexico are you moving to ?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm curious, before Honda changed the Cargo from a 125cc to a 150cc was the 125cc engine of the Cargo the same as the 125cc engine in the Tool?
no, it isn't. I remember the hp output was different. i will search my brochures. and yeah where are you going?

Damasovi
Old 02-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
KLR650Teach OP
Adventurer

Where am I going? LOL

Three years ago the wife and I bought a house at Lake Chapala Jalisco MX. If you are not familiar with it.....it is about 40-45 minutes straight south of Guadalajara. Lake Chapala is Mexico's largest fresh water lake. It's also 3 or 4 hours straight east as the crow flies from Puerto Vallarta.

Our plan was then to buy the house in preparation for retirement, thats coming up this fall in November 2013.

So in answer to your question............we are moving to Lake Chapala!
Old 02-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #23
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

I am basically familiar with Lake Chapala. I've flown over it several times. It just seems to go on forever. My wife and I have been spending time in Puerto Vallarta for about eight years.
Congratulations on retirement ! I cut the rope two years ago and haven't looked back.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #24
Eoblah
Young'un

Oddometer: 4
I really hope you can find a CT90 or something of the sort down there, If not, CT70s are readily available all through Canada for around a grand in road-ready condition.
Eoblah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #25
KLR650Teach OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoblah View Post
I really hope you can find a CT90 or something of the sort down there, If not, CT70s are readily available all through Canada for around a grand in road-ready condition.
Nah, if I was staying in Canada I would consider only the 90 and 110 model CT's. They are great for the trails especially with the dual range tranny's.

For Mexico it would have to be a minimum 90cc. I'll have a cage for hwy use so the little one will be for jus around town.

I'm now even considering either keeping my KLR or getting a Wee Strom.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #26
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoblah View Post
I can read it now! From Canada and work to retirement and Mexico on the slow lane... Sounds like a ct70 can do it!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #27
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Too bad we are not closer. I've got two Ct-90's And a Suzuki DR200 that I'd sell.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #28
KLR650Teach OP
Adventurer

Honda Cubs

I see now that Honda has re released the Cub in a 110cc Super Cub version. This looks very promising to me.

Many have suggested the Cargo, but my wife is an itty bitty thing and the Cub would be way easier to ride especially when it comes to touching the ground with her feet at a full stop. Plus the old Cubs proved to be almost bomb proof and that is what I am looking for..........something dead simple. Only draw back with the new ones is they are fuel injected instead of carborated. That makes maintaining it myself a little bit trickier.

Don't ask me why but there is something very nostalgic about those Cubs and they have eye appeal that the Cargo etc. do not have. I just like em! And I'm sure my wife will also.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #29
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I see now that Honda has re released the Cub in a 110cc Super Cub version. This looks very promising to me.

Many have suggested the Cargo, but my wife is an itty bitty thing and the Cub would be way easier to ride especially when it comes to touching the ground with her feet at a full stop. Plus the old Cubs proved to be almost bomb proof and that is what I am looking for..........something dead simple. Only draw back with the new ones is they are fuel injected instead of carborated. That makes maintaining it myself a little bit trickier.

Don't ask me why but there is something very nostalgic about those Cubs and they have eye appeal that the Cargo etc. do not have. I just like em! And I'm sure my wife will also.
Actually maintaining FI will probably be easier, since it will be more reliable and won't need much if any maintenance.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #30
KLR650Teach OP
Adventurer

Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Actually maintaining FI will probably be easier, since it will be more reliable and won't need much if any maintenance.
Well for maintaining yes - less work. However, I would not hesitate to take one of those carbs off to clean it and get it running again on the side of the road. FI is not quite so simple with many more factors to consider.

It's pretty hard to get any simpler than gravity fed gasoline to a carb.

As for the fuel economy of the fuel injection system vs the carb'ed system......I have not heard enough claims either way. The new ones are said to get almost a hundred and fifty miles to the gallon. That seems unrealistic but would be very welcomed!