Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #3901
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
That one is from a box of misc parts I bought cheap. I dont think its made for my xt600e originally, had to drill a couple of holes and such to fit it. It looks like it would be suited for an older model, or perhaps a xt350
Old 02-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #3902
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,228
Remember when I was looking for a coil (just as a just-in-case spare)? I found something:
http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/ca...-XT-600-Stator
It says that one is for "electric start only", but it also lists 1984-1990 model years. So did they even make an e-start XT600 in 1984? I'm leaning towards typographical error in that listing. Then, for the non e-starts, they offer this repair service:
The trigger coil is not included and they don't sell those.

I'm still trying to determine how much less, if any, these XT6's coil failure rate is compared to the XL600. I am thinking that if they are similar, it is mostly related to mileage in hot oil stresses than simply age, in which case my low-miles '87 is pretty safe in the coil department. [/run-on sentence]

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #3903
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
That one is from a box of misc parts I bought cheap. I dont think its made for my xt600e originally, had to drill a couple of holes and such to fit it. It looks like it would be suited for an older model, or perhaps a xt350
Ok. Great find. I did check if a bash plate from a XT550 would fit my 600E, it did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Remember when I was looking for a coil (just as a just-in-case spare)? I found something:
It says that one is for "electric start only", but it also lists 1984-1990 model years. So did they even make an e-start XT600 in 1984? I'm leaning towards typographical error in that listing. Then, for the non e-starts, they offer this repair service:
The trigger coil is not included and they don't sell those.

I'm still trying to determine how much less, if any, these XT6's coil failure rate is compared to the XL600. I am thinking that if they are similar, it is mostly related to mileage in hot oil stresses than simply age, in which case my low-miles '87 is pretty safe in the coil department. [/run-on sentence]
That looks like a 3-phase stator. As far as I know the pre '90 "regular" XT600 all had a single phase stator. So at least double check before you buy.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #3904
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCLARDIE View Post
Hi all

I have an xt600e that I ride everyday to work and back
and some trips at the weekend,great bikes

Cheers

Dave
Neat full-function set up.

Do you know the origin or brand of those panniers?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:54 AM   #3905
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
Ok. Great find. I did check if a bash plate from a XT550 would fit my 600E, it did not.
Jup, I think I was lucky. There are bashplates availible, but yeah, you have to buy them new from www.kedo.com or www.off-the-road.de ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Havent heard about any, really.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #3906
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

I just changed the oil in my “new to me” 2000 XT600E, 4PT.

On startup a “ratchety” type of noise came from the right hand side of the engine. Not loud but very noticeable. After about 30 seconds the noise went away, and the engine sounded normal.

Does anyone know why this happened?

I have not had this exact XT model before, but the XT’s I have had in the past (old XT600, XT550, XT250 and a TT600RE) did not dot make this noise.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #3907
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Yeah they can do that, mine does it when its really cold outside.

It almost sounds like the pistonrings are spinning around or something.

Nothing bad has happened yet, so no worries
Old 02-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #3908
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
I just changed the oil in my “new to me” 2000 XT600E, 4PT.

On startup a “ratchety” type of noise came from the right hand side of the engine. Not loud but very noticeable. After about 30 seconds the noise went away, and the engine sounded normal.

Does anyone know why this happened?

I have not had this exact XT model before, but the XT’s I have had in the past (old XT600, XT550, XT250 and a TT600RE) did not dot make this noise.
Mine did that when realy cold outside (in Portugal at least) with 20w-50 oil switchd to 10w40 and er did it
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #3909
joatmoa
Joatmoa

Oddometer: 46
Noise on start up

My 2003 XT600E does it when it's cold. I put it down to the timing chain being dry as it's worse when the bike hasn't been started for a few days. As soon as the oil starts to get round it quietens down. I'm confused by the "On startup a “ratchety” type of noise came from the right hand side of the engine" as my timing chain is on the left (as you sit on the bike).It's also worse if I leave the bike on it's centre stand as the engine is upright. if I leave it on the sidestand (engine draining the oil to the left side of the engine) the noise isn't so pronounced. I stripped the flywheel off to inspect the chain and guides and there is very little wear...but my bike has only 3,500 miles on the clock....unitl May this year of course (www.aatw2013.com)!
joatmoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #3910
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah they can do that, mine does it when its really cold outside.

It almost sounds like the pistonrings are spinning around or something.

Nothing bad has happened yet, so no worries
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
Mine did that when realy cold outside (in Portugal at least) with 20w-50 oil switchd to 10w40 and er did it
Quote:
Originally Posted by joatmoa View Post
My 2003 XT600E does it when it's cold. I put it down to the timing chain being dry as it's worse when the bike hasn't been started for a few days. As soon as the oil starts to get round it quietens down. I'm confused by the "On startup a “ratchety” type of noise came from the right hand side of the engine" as my timing chain is on the left (as you sit on the bike).It's also worse if I leave the bike on it's centre stand as the engine is upright. if I leave it on the sidestand (engine draining the oil to the left side of the engine) the noise isn't so pronounced. I stripped the flywheel off to inspect the chain and guides and there is very little wear...but my bike has only 3,500 miles on the clock....unitl May this year of course (www.aatw2013.com)!
Thanks guys, normal then i guess.

joatmoa, maybe I got it wrong, maybe it was not from the right hand side of the engine. This noise was only for a short while and I was kind of stressed out. I did drain the oil last night, the engine was therefore dry when I started the engine today, all the oil was in the frame. I like what you have done to your XT, some trip ahead eh?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #3911
joatmoa
Joatmoa

Oddometer: 46
Niggling noise

G600, I wouldn't worry about it as everyone that has an XT seems to get it at some stage. I'm running mine on 20W-50 at the moment as I had some left in the garage but it'll be on 10W-40 when I leave on my trip.
Yes, I think it'll be a great trip as I've been through Mongolia before (www.joatmoa.com) but on a sidecar outfit. The pleasure of being able to do it on a solo is something I'm looking forward to.
I'm also looking forward to being able to go through rivers that are more than 12"/30cms deep as the Ural couldn't manage more than that.
Check out my little waterproofing bottle to stop the carbs from getting water in. www.aatw2013.com/bike.html. This allows me to go through water up to the bottom of the seat. I'm now thinking about a snorkel for the airbox.
joatmoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #3912
MCLARDIE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Neat full-function set up.

Do you know the origin or brand of those panniers?

Hi the panniers are from Germany by a company called Darr
and the racks hepco Becker,the racks came of my 640 adv
And we're made to fit the xt

Cheers

Dave
MCLARDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #3913
De Buurman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
It super easy, I lost mine, and made one up. Its just a flat piece of metal with a hole in each end. You mount it to "draw" the wings a bit together, so the gastank fits snuggly around the frame.

I would guess if you take meassures of the hole to hole distance on the gastank, you will need to drill the holes on the metal so they are around 10-15mm closer together.

Theres really nothing to it, hope the above makes sence.

*EDIT*

Just went through my pics, and found one which might help you see what it is:
[picture]
Thanks! also the information that the tank should be "squeezed" around the frame to fit securely. I was planning to make a bracket that's attached to the frame, but I will first try to "squeeze" it in to place.
De Buurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #3914
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Laugh

Mmmmm

Benders

vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #3915
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump