User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
OlivierS OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
torque wrench for KTM 990

I don't know if this is the right place for this thread, but i figure here is the most KTM knowledge...

So, I'm looking to buy a Torque wrench ( thank you google translate... ), I will only use it for the Adventure. I found a cheap one for 4 to 24 NM, is this enough for doing some basic work? I'm not planning to take the block out just yet but, like I said, basic work. I have a history of breaking screws and thread, so I wanna do it right this time...
OlivierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivierS View Post
I don't know if this is the right place for this thread, but i figure here is the most KTM knowledge...

So, I'm looking to buy a Torque wrench ( thank you google translate... ), I will only use it for the Adventure. I found a cheap one for 4 to 24 NM, is this enough for doing some basic work? I'm not planning to take the block out just yet but, like I said, basic work. I have a history of breaking screws and thread, so I wanna do it right this time...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=20485745

I bought a CDI 10-60Nm torque wrench. CDI makes torque wrenches for Snap-on. Very high quality. That should do most things on the bike other than the rear axle that requires 90Nm. As some people mentioned in the thread I've linked to, using a torque wrench at the extremes of its range is probably not the best plan. Therefore, a better plan may be to buy a low-range torque wrench and then a higher range torque wrench for the bolts that need the greater torque.

I would suggest that you get a torque wrench with a ratching head. It is very difficult to torque things like spark plugs and head bolts without a ratcheting head on a torque wrench when they are in the middle of a trellis frame. Been there. Had that problem.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
l0st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
If you're an amateur like myself, you could look after a Unior 264 torque wrench. It's very versatile, from 5 to 110Nm. In Slovenia it costs about 65€, it is also made in Slovenia. You can find out more here:

http://www.unior.com/cgi-bin/cms.cgi...780&prod=15777
l0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Just make sure your always in the middle 60% of the wrenches range.
MOst all torque wrenches are most consistent in this range.

If you drop it,, you likely need to re-calibrate it (Click type) I used to work where we had a cal shop and
all the site torque wrenches got checked weekly or when dropped, funny hting,, we used snap on tools exclusively EXCEPT for torque wrenches, turned out Craftsman held their numbers better. :)

Dave
pdxmotorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
Blackbert
Factory Rambler

Oddometer: 1,055
Have a look in the owners manual, it lists all the torque specs for chassis and engine. for the smaller bolts and nuts, the numbers are low, all manageable with a 5-25Nm wrench. Besides that, I use a bigger one up to 100 something Nm for the taller nuts and bolts. Mine are Tengtools, somewhere in the mid price range.

want to save on Smugmug? use this code (VoUO8M1ukmnMY)

Blackbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
OlivierS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbert View Post
Have a look in the owners manual, it lists all the torque specs for chassis and engine. for the smaller bolts and nuts, the numbers are low, all manageable with a 5-25Nm wrench. Besides that, I use a bigger one up to 100 something Nm for the taller nuts and bolts. Mine are Tengtools, somewhere in the mid price range.

Well, see, that is a bit of a problem, since I don't have a owners manual
Old 02-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivierS View Post
Well, see, that is a bit of a problem, since I don't have a owners manual
http://www.ktm950.info/how/owners_ma...s_manuals.html Here are the owner's manuals. But, I think you are wanting the maintenance manual for your bike. Those are not available free online. You have to buy the CD.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/103697227/T...%20chassis.xps
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/103697227/T...-%20engine.xps

Katoom72 screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 07:10 AM
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
OlivierS OP
Adventurer

thx guys the manual problem is fixed. who would have thought the internet would come in handy some day.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,477
FWIW,

I don't use a torque wrench on my bike, and don't see it as a necessity. Of course I use one for things like head bolts, clutch basket, etc., but when I see guys that use them for clutch cover bolts and front axle pinch bolts I always kinda wonder.

My torque wrench is my hand and the way I hold the tool in question. And lots of experience with stripped bolts I guess.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
RedRupert
Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer: 571
Torque is not just a question of feel. For example, the tripple clamps: the bottom pinch bolts need to be 15 Nm; the top ones need to be 20 Nm. All are M8. In this case a torque wrench is important.
Yamaha RD 350 LC (1984)
RedRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRupert View Post
Torque is not just a question of feel. For example, the tripple clamps: the bottom pinch bolts need to be 15 Nm; the top ones need to be 20 Nm. All are M8. In this case a torque wrench is important.

Have you ever seen a clamp bolt come out? Or seen one so overtightened as to impede fork action? I haven't. Torque them both at 15, torque them both at 20, I don't think you or the bike can tell the difference. In 30 years, on everything I have owned, I have never torqued a fork clamp bolt and I have never had a problem of any kind. I honestly fail to see the need for concern.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
RedRupert
Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer: 571
It may be that not everyone is as experienced as you.

It's surprising how much damage, due to poor workmanship, can be found on used bikes. For this reason, it's a good idea to go by the book - i.e. by going by the book, there is less chance error.
Yamaha RD 350 LC (1984)
RedRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
FWIW,

I don't use a torque wrench on my bike, and don't see it as a necessity. Of course I use one for things like head bolts, clutch basket, etc., but when I see guys that use them for clutch cover bolts and front axle pinch bolts I always kinda wonder.

My torque wrench is my hand and the way I hold the tool in question. And lots of experience with stripped bolts I guess.
Realms of possibilities. Experience is the factor, learning torque’s by hand are incredibly precise, but leaning that feel using a torque wrench is cheaper, yet decreasing the learning curve on how to fix mistakes. I remember as a kid the lesson of a spark plug thread tapped direct to an ally head.

Precision engineering may ask 1Nm difference, difficult to feel by hand.

To OP, Halfords stock a professional range made by Norbar, the 3/8 covers 8-60Nm.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
I will add to the fire...

10ft lb is 13.5nm. Is 7nm enough to sway someone to pay ~$60 more for a torque wrench that goes to 10nm.

The sears 3/8 clicker is $40 that will do 10ftlb/13.5nm. The digital that will do 5ft lb/6.7nm is $108

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote