Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
ddeitz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Winnipeg To New-Fun-Land, I could use some help.

Apparently this summer I am going to now be heading to Newfoundland and back from Winnipegas Kawazacky told me i should do it. I'm looking at around 3 weeks give or take a few days (unless somehow I can swing more time). Ill take any planning suggestions I can get on what to see and what to avoid. Not so much looking for off-road suggestions as I don't have all the time in the world and I will be accompanying my r1 and I am not sure if it likes off-roading or not yet, so best to plan for the worst.

This is my very rough draft of what my getting to NFLD looks like and to be fair I really don't know of very many must-see's in New york\Vermont\Maine or in the east coast of Canada. I plan on stopping in Quebec city on the way back as ill probably come back through Canada otherwise I have a ton of research to do, so any suggestions would be wonderful.

I have no problems making detours, the route is just a very general outline.

Google map with some markers

The only markers on there I'm planning on so far are B and C, the rest are just to keep the route looking like that.

View Larger Map
ddeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #2
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
If you haven't been around the top of Lake Superior you should do that. The Gaspe in Que. doesn't add a lot of time to the trip and is very cool as well. Well worth the day or so invested. You could travel on the north side of the river and take the ferry at Mathane and do half the Gaspe, cut across the middle, inland. The USA route on the interstate is just blacktop but would be faster for sure. You end up going south to almost Boston than north again. If you do the interstate the gas is about $0.50 more expensive on the interstate than if you exit and buy it in the nearby towns. The tolls (in total) are the same, you just pay them more often.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,245
I'll add some info to get started.....

The route you have planned from NY to Maine will be a pretty slow run. I just drove that route last summer, there is no direct way and you'll be going north and south a lot. You'll pass through many nice little towns and along a few winding rivers, rolling hills etc,, so it'll be decent scenic and riding wise, but for the most part you'll be going slow, (Well, depending on your agressiveness on the R1). But you'll be doing 40-50kms a fair amount. If you go this way, once in Maine head straight for the coast and take it until you have to get the highway nearing Moncton.

The TCH, although takes you much further north in NB to get around Maine, will be quicker. It's a little longer KM wise but there wont be much traffic past Montreal and cruising at 120-140 is likely. The new highways in NB are the best in the country and empty.

Going one way and returning the other would probably the best. That's the leg from Hamilton to Moncton.

Once in NS, again its up to you if you want to eat miles and stay on the TCH or take the coast. I'd recommend once across the Causway go left and stay there, ride the Cabot Trial till you get to the ferry.

NF is a whole other thread, and I see you posted in it. I'll leave the NF comments there.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 337
North shore
bwokentoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 229
If I may be so bold...
This particular route I have ridden on several occassions.
It will not dissapoint or excessively challenge.
It is all blacktop, with minimal multi-lane travel.
Plenty of fuel/food/accommodations.

Be sure to post a RR!

View Larger Map

Map not working for some reason - click View Larger Map

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709349

Vikingtazz screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 01:07 PM
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
ddeitz OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingtazz View Post
If I may be so bold...
This particular route I have ridden on several occassions.
It will not dissapoint or excessively challenge.
It is all blacktop, with minimal multi-lane travel.
Plenty of fuel/food/accommodations.

Be sure to post a RR!

That looks pretty damn promising, some area's that peak my interest for sure. The lack of multi-lane is wonderful, I was even thinking of jumping on the 11 instead of taking the 17 on the north shore. However we shall see Thank you.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
ddeitz OP
Adventurer

One of them double posty things.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeitz View Post
That looks pretty damn promising, some area's that peak my interest for sure. The lack of multi-lane is wonderful, I was even thinking of jumping on the 11 instead of taking the 17 on the north shore. However we shall see Thank you.

+1 . That's layed out pretty good there. That Amherst to New Glasglow run is is a nice leg as well.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #9
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Highway #11 in Northern Ontario is the truck route. It is basically flat and no scenery at all. It is the same mileage as Route #17. For a motorcycle one of the nicest roads in Canada is Route #17 around Lake Superior, on a nice day. There can be cold wind off the lake making it unseasonably cold.

What I have been doing lately, is taking Rt#11 and turning into Que. at Kirkland Lake. This is actually the TCH in Que. I do this because I hate the OPP and their street racing rules and Que. is (was) a little more reasonable. I do this because I am not a tourist just want the fastest route. This route allows you to more or less bypass the City of Montreal (on Rt#117/15/640/40) as well which is great. I cross the river at Quebec City.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Groovemaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Great Lakes Loop

I rode a loop from Windsor Ont. up through Michigan to the U.P and across Wisconsin etc to Winnipeg and then came back across the top of Lake Superior and down through Barrie and back roads to Windsor. GF has family in Winnipeg. She was in the chase car with the kids. I would highly suggest riding across the top of Lake Superior instead of coming down through Michigan and crossing at Sarnia. Once out of the U.P of Michigan it's just 1-75 and then once across in to Ontario you'll be 401 to Niagara. It's a pretty boring flat ride on busy highways. Really nothing to see or experience. I am not sure if you can cross at Kingston area and go across to the east coast but once you're south of Toronto and even through New York state it's pretty boring. I drove from Windsor to New Brunswick through Niagara crossing and it's nothing exciting for hours. Just my suggestion keep it North.
Groovemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,665
Do the North Shore of Lake Superior... lots of Great ADVr's between the Peg and the Sault.... Always a nice break to stop and say hi and visit. The US side is all business, ride and go and need to get off the main hiway to see the real stuff.
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black FOR SALE, 2009 Yamaha WR250R, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE, 2006 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1967 Honda CD125, 1980 Honda C70 Cub. Sale Pending. (on display at the Headingly Musem for the Winter)
BackRoader is online now   Reply With Quote