Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #211
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,041
Looks he's put some effort into it. Maybe you should take advantage of that.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #212
Manos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
...thought you might enjoy these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw_HLm6yFHY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi33f6r5t6I
M.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #213
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013

The K&K welding XV 920 BOTT F-1 bike at Mid-Ohio in 1988. It was ridden to a podium finish by Britt Turkington.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #214
rdtbull
Have a Plan

Oddometer: 15
"Lurch" Built by Vernon Davis out of Kasson's Yamaha Austin Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

The K&K welding XV 920 BOTT F-1 bike at Mid-Ohio in 1988. It was ridden to a podium finish by Britt Turkington.
rdtbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #215
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 215
I had posted some pictures of this bike I took at Texas World Speedway earlier in this thread. I couldn't remember the date that I took them but I think it had to be later than 1988, more likely 1990 but I could be wrong, that was a really long time ago. I met a guy earlier this year from Austin who knew "Lurch" intimately having ridden it back in the early 90's and said that he thought the bike was in pieces in his buddies garage in Austin but he never got back to me to verify. I really just wanted to pick the guys brain that built it, what was his motivation to use aluminum plate versus tubing. Thanks for the other pictures, nice to see someone else thought this was as cool as it was way back then.

Later Travis

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:20 AM   #216
allstateclub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
1982 original owner

I've still got my 1982 XV920RJ that I bought as a leftover in 1984 for $1699 + tax. Let my son have it for a while and it got painted - not to happy about that. I replaced the crappy painted pieces with some original '81 red bodywork and had the bike completely gone over by my local Yamaha dealer last fall. The bike has over 50k on it and still sports the original chain. It now resides in my garage until the spring when it will be getting lots more attention than in the recent past. The bike has been to Alaska (from Ohio) and back, all over the mid-west and I took my road-racing course on it in 1990 - never dragged an exhaust pipe 'til that day! It's a great bike that will become my daily ride once again.
allstateclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #217
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstateclub View Post
I've still got my 1982 XV920RJ that I bought as a leftover in 1984 for $1699 + tax. Let my son have it for a while and it got painted - not to happy about that. I replaced the crappy painted pieces with some original '81 red bodywork and had the bike completely gone over by my local Yamaha dealer last fall. The bike has over 50k on it and still sports the original chain. It now resides in my garage until the spring when it will be getting lots more attention than in the recent past. The bike has been to Alaska (from Ohio) and back, all over the mid-west and I took my road-racing course on it in 1990 - never dragged an exhaust pipe 'til that day! It's a great bike that will become my daily ride once again.

Great bike history !
Good that it's back with you again. I have 35,000 miles on my chain and am thinking of replaceing it as preventative maintainance. Are you going to continue with the original one ? For how long ?
Getting 100,000 miles from it will be a good story, going 99,000 and haveing it punch through your cases will not.Do you feel lucky ?
Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #218
TheBakemon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
My dad, bkbrkrbkr, sold me a 82' xv920 rh along with enough parts to build 2 bikes. The bike doesn't run and is currently in pieces. The plan is to first start the bike, after that strip it so I can work on restoring all the parts and adding my own custom look (heading in the café style). I'm glad dad showed me this thread though, there's done great information on here!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
TheBakemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #219
RedRocket

Lucky you.
I miss mine, and regret not keeping it for longer.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #220
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBakemon View Post
My dad, bkbrkrbkr, sold me a 82' xv920 rh along with enough parts to build 2 bikes. The bike doesn't run and is currently in pieces. The plan is to first start the bike, after that strip it so I can work on restoring all the parts and adding my own custom look (heading in the café style). I'm glad dad showed me this thread though, there's done great information on here!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Dude, that's my old 920! I sold it to Kenneth a year ago. It served me well for 20+ years and I still miss it. Enjoy, and do a good job on it. I've sort of been dreading the day it would reappear in this thread.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #221
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,438
Here's a link to Doonie's little adventure on his 920, crazy Aussies @ their best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5i2NOwHJZQ

XV920 shoe-horned into an XS650 running gear

Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #222
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Cafe Moto's interpretation of an XV920. Upside-down forks and aluminum swing-arm ,Benelli tank and more.
Nice!
Pictures from the One Show in Austin last weekend.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #223
RedRocket

Every few months or so I get an email from my YouTube video asking for more info on the starter motor upgrade i did so just in case anyone is interested here are links from the Virago-tech forum on how to do it.

You probably have to join the forum to see everything:

http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=20028
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14170
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20574
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4739
Old 05-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #224
Ruis_Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
It's alive! ALIVE!!! Hoo hoo haa hah haaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruis_Rider View Post
Hey adventurers, I've had this XV for years waiting for some love. Just thought I'd throw up some pictures to show everyone the state of disrepair... I have all the parts in boxes, but have never made the time. Now with two kids, it won't be easy, but who said life was easy?

I got this bike from a friend for free about 10 years ago. At the time it had been sitting outside with a tarp over it for about 7 years. I briefly got it to run, it smoked badly from one cylinder, then the carbs caught fire (not bad). I took it apart and cleaned it up some, but it sat inside...now for years. Starter is toast. No spark last time I tried. I believe it is the #12 bike off the line.

Time to do something with this thing.

Just to ride it as a rat bike, it needs:
  • Front brakes redone (they are stuck).
  • Starter.
  • Battery.
  • Carb rebuild.
  • Possibly new rings.
  • Tires.
  • New ignition (no sparky)?
  • A seat of some sort.
Anyway, I'd get rid of this thing but those bikes by Sepp Koch are just too sweet.

Words of wisdom appreciated.

Boohoo ha ha ha! My frankenbike is alive!

After a carb rebuild, cleaning the rust out and lining the tank, a backwoods-worthy starter motor and starter-gears rebuild, some cleaned up wiring and connectors, a new solenoid, and replacing the broken starter switch with a toggle...she started! I also had 3-in-1 oil in the cylinders for weeks (months?) to free the rings.

I am floored to be honest. It is running way lean and now I have to set the pilot screws at the least...right now it is only happy with the choke on about 1/2 way. My neighbors on the other hand, do not seem to be happy about all the noise I'm making...

No smoke from the pipes to speak of, and the motor sounds good. Even my wife was impressed. Little does she know the the next steps for the rebuild involve more money!

At the least, this bike now needs rebuilt front calipers, fork seals, steering bearings, tires, and a seat! Now, if only I had the time and money...
Ruis_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #225
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

Cafe Moto's interpretation of an XV920. Upside-down forks and aluminum swing-arm ,Benelli tank and more.
Nice!
Pictures from the One Show in Austin last weekend.
What swingarm is that ?
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote