ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #241
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank
 
swamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: lower appalachia, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8er406 View Post
Maybe you guys could help me make up my mind. I'm looking at getting a new bike and have been looking at an 09 te250 or ktm 450, 400 exc. all are street legal for Ca and I ride forest service roads, trails and some single track. Some road to get to trails and to connect trails. What bike should I get?
if you ride more road (fire road)/ pavement than single track buy the bigger bike. if you are a single track fiend then buy the 250.

just my opinion (i have a 2012TE250)
__________________
Enduro Earth
YOUTUBE

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #242
Beer_me
JY
 
Beer_me's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 65
I'm part of the club

I just picked up a 2011 TE250 today. Got to ride it briefly in the dude's back yard in about 6" of snow. He knew suspension like no one else I have met (who wasn't employed as a tech) and he did the JD tuner to it, plus a bunch of other stuff. The bike feels amazing even in a short go. Of course, I haven't touched a modern dirt bike at all so I'm kinda talking outta my backside but I am stoked. I can't wait to ride and learn.


New to me TE250 by J_Hurricane_Y, on Flickr
Beer_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #243
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth
 
SmileyRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 37
Congrats, I like the looks of that bash plate.
Buying a dirtbike in the middle of winter sucks. You have to wait so long to ride it.
SmileyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #244
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank
 
swamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: lower appalachia, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,795
nice!
sweet ride man

looks like you have the right size sprockets on there already :)
__________________
Enduro Earth
YOUTUBE

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #245
Beer_me
JY
 
Beer_me's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 65
Thanks gents. Yeah, I think the rear sprocket is a 53 if I remember what he told me. Bash plate is actually plastic which kind of surprised me but PO said it's tough. Still has the manufacturer's sticker on it but damned if I remember what it is. I'll try to look at it again and actually file it in my longer term memory.

I've got a small trailer to haul it trail-side since I can't really ride anywhere worth going from the house (that I know of yet ). The trailer is a bit of project so I'm now really motivated to get that done so I can get OUT there!

PS. The winter didn't stop the PO from riding his bikes. He takes old tires and puts snowmobile cleats and screws in 'em. Here he is railing with the snow machines (not on the Husky mind you)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECj9kh9wG0Y

Beer_me screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 06:40 AM
Beer_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #246
jxg
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Southern RI
Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_me View Post
Thanks gents. Yeah, I think the rear sprocket is a 53 if I remember what he told me. Bash plate is actually plastic which kind of surprised me but PO said it's tough. Still has the manufacturer's sticker on it but damned if I remember what it is. I'll try to look at it again and actually file it in my longer term memory.

I've got a small trailer to haul it trail-side since I can't really ride anywhere worth going from the house (that I know of yet ). The trailer is a bit of project so I'm now really motivated to get that done so I can get OUT there!

PS. The winter didn't stop the PO from riding his bikes. He takes old tires and puts snowmobile cleats and screws in 'em. Here he is railing with the snow machines (not on the Husky mind you)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECj9kh9wG0Y
would love to know the story behind that sled they are pulling out

the way I ride and crash our NE rocky trails, that bash plate would not last...
__________________
2010 Husqvarna TE250
jxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #247
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth
 
SmileyRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 37
I find alot of people give plastic a bum wrap. It can be extremely tough. I have had a number of instances where I have replaced plastic with aluminum parts, only to return back to the plastic parts. Plastic bends and gives where metal will crack or yield.
SmileyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #248
jxg
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Southern RI
Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyRider View Post
I find alot of people give plastic a bum wrap. It can be extremely tough. I have had a number of instances where I have replaced plastic with aluminum parts, only to return back to the plastic parts. Plastic bends and gives where metal will crack or yield.
not giving it a bum rap, but I have seen rocks through plastic and into cases, which i am pretty sure would not have happened to the aluminum. I ride rocks all the time (New England terrain), and my skid plate is bent, looks like a complete mess, but I think it has saved the cases more than once.
__________________
2010 Husqvarna TE250
jxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #249
Beer_me
JY
 
Beer_me's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg View Post
would love to know the story behind that sled they are pulling out
I believe the sled got hit by a plow truck as they were riding some kind of utility (phone, I think he said) corridor and they had to get out there to perform maintenance. Big bummer no doubt for someone who thought they could just park it at the edge of what had been just a trail.
Beer_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #250
TigeroL
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 3
I asked the shop about the oil consuming, and they said there must be wrong somewhere in the motor, at first i didn't believe it because there was a puddle of oil in the airbox under the breather tube when i was cleaning up the air filter... but i took it there anyway and it turned out that the cylinder had one small scratch in it and the oil had been leaking from there, now it has new piston and cylinder as it had warranty but now the cam cover gasket is leaking ever so slightly from one corner , not enough to even see a difrence in the oil glass so i'll just leave it.

I suppose these things don't need much break-in, especially when it's just piston and cylinder getting changed and the piston is single-ring and cylinder nicasil coated?
TigeroL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #251
daleCarlsbad
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 12
As mentioned above replacing the seat would be a good investment. I went with Seat Concepts low. Supper fast turn around time, and much more comfortable







daleCarlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #252
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer
 
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Durango CO
Oddometer: 2,649
Damn that is a good looking machine. ^^^
__________________
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #253
Beer_me
JY
 
Beer_me's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 65
Thanks for the shots of the Seat Concepts seat. I was thinking of going with Fisher Seats, but you may have just persuaded me. I've got a pneumatic stapler so I guess it'd be a pretty simple install.

Oh, the plastic skid plate on my new-to-me bike is from http://www.hyderacing.com. Looks like some quality engineering.
Beer_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #254
MotorcycleWriter
Beastly Adventurer
 
MotorcycleWriter's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: N.Alabama, World's Rockiest Trails
Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_me View Post
I just picked up a 2011 TE250 today. Got to ride it briefly in the dude's back yard in about 6" of snow. He knew suspension like no one else I have met (who wasn't employed as a tech) and he did the JD tuner to it, plus a bunch of other stuff. The bike feels amazing even in a short go. Of course, I haven't touched a modern dirt bike at all so I'm kinda talking outta my backside but I am stoked. I can't wait to ride and learn.
I recently picked up an '07 TE250. I've not ridden a ton of bikes but have sat on a few. The ones I rode a lot were an '04 WR250F, a '99 XR200R, and a 94 XR250R. They all seem like utter crap beside my TE250. Not surprising about the XR250 and 200, but I never gelled with that WR. The engine and powerband on my TE are perfect for my riding style. The suspension on the TE250 soaks up bumps without trying to toss me off (like that WR always did.) It is nimble in turns but stable at speed. Devours tight singletrack like Bond goes through women. Stayed right with the KTM200exc's I was riding with. You're going to love it.

The only thing not perfect about my TE is it tends to be a tad hard starting when hot. The hot-start choke works perfectly but I can't activate it when I'm holding the clutch lever. So I have to...

I'll stop whining now. Great bike. Good choice.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #255
prey4mojo
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Marin County, CA
Oddometer: 4
My 2010 TE 250

Death Valley just before a ride.



Video of ride up Lippencott:

http://vimeo.com/60058743

Video coming back down Lippentcott:

http://vimeo.com/60135188


Spent some time in Butte Valley as well:

http://vimeo.com/59581320

Thanks for looking!
W
prey4mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014