Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #4186
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
"I own a motorcycle for the exact purpose of facilitating my escapist fantasies. I enjoy the sensation of feeling like the hand of God is pushing you down the road. I enjoy tipping my bike in, hitting the apex, and pulling the trigger on the happy handle to the point where the front end rises a few inches off the ground."

Thanks so much for that. I feel he same way, but I never really thought about it until I read your post. The first German pilot to fly a jet described the feeling, saying it was like being pushed by an angel. For me to be happy a motorcycle needs enough power to accelerate effortlessly without a lot of commotion. And now I know why I don't like cruisers, they just always seem to be working hard, making noise, struggling if you will, not being pushed by the hand of any God I want to know. I know others feel differently.
In addition to my post above yours.. that's the only thing I miss going down
from 72 to 29hp, the grin factor, as this never feels "OHYEAH THISTHING
PULLS!"#%".

Neither does the NC700X.

The only OMG moment on the NC700X was while still in the drive-way, opening
it up just barely in 1st and shifting to 2nd at like 3mph and another
micro-throttle movement, my first thoght was "Holy torque, batman!"

Then I gunned it 1st through 3rd to redline and was like.. "oh.. ok...".

The rest of the ride I was enjoying the roll-on torque in all gears (other then
6th) and shifting under 3500 all the time.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #4187
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
In addition to my post above yours.. that's the only thing I miss going down
from 72 to 29hp, the grin factor, as this never feels "OHYEAH THISTHING
PULLS!"#%".

Neither does the NC700X.

The only OMG moment on the NC700X was while still in the drive-way, opening
it up just barely in 1st and shifting to 2nd at like 3mph and another
micro-throttle movement, my first thoght was "Holy torque, batman!"

Then I gunned it 1st through 3rd to redline and was like.. "oh.. ok...".

The rest of the ride I was enjoying the roll-on torque in all gears (other then
6th) and shifting under 3500 all the time.
And this is why there are SOOOOOO many bikes out there of different varieties. I actually miss the nimbleness of my scooter sometimes when on the NCX, but I DON'T miss the ability to go over 70 when on the highway.

I grin just about every time I get on my bike, and at just about every light take off. Yes, I know this bike isn't the fastest 0-60, but when you step back for a minute and think about what's actually going on, it's amazing. There is controlled, gasoline-fueled, combustion going on right between our legs and under our rears, that's powering a machine that allows us to cover large amounts of land in a short period of time, or carve through the canyons much faster (and way more fun) than a horse drawn cart.

To each his own, and as long as you are on two wheels---you'll get the moto-wave from this guy.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #4188
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
And this is why there are SOOOOOO many bikes out there of different varieties. I actually miss the nimbleness of my scooter sometimes when on the NCX, but I DON'T miss the ability to go over 70 when on the highway.
The NC is sa nimble as my 300cc scoot, it's amazing how light it feels!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #4189
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
The NC is sa nimble as my 300cc scoot, it's amazing how light it feels!
Ok, ok, you got me there. The NC is amazing how light it does feel...perhaps nimble wasn't the right word. There is just something different mentally about when I used to hop on my scooter to run down to the local store/food stop, etc to grab something vs taking the NC out. I think it's that I feel bad in that I'm not taking it out on a longer run to "stretch it's legs".

Kinda like if you had a large dog and a small dog at home--my in-laws dog (4lb monster) plays around in their backyard and has a great time hitting full speed running around out there. But if you put a larger dog (say a lab) he's still building up speed before he's at the other side of the yard. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that the scooter felt like it's sweet spot was cruising around my neighborhood (Marina del Rey, CA) at about 30-40mph, whereas the NC wants to be out for longer rides, opening up, and making use of those higher gears to really show me what it has to offer.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #4190
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,297
Two weeks ago I walked out of my BMWMOA chapter meeting and found several guys looking at my X. Several informed questions ensued. One said that he was looking to downsize in bikes after a lifetime of riding and he wondered if the bike was easy to push off the side stand with the relatively tall seat height. I pointed out that all the heavy stuff is below a line scribed by the tank panels, where the long horizontal frame tube runs above the engine, and the center of gravity is very low. I have Cycra Probend hand guards mounted and the aluminum bar under the plastic cover mounts to the end of the handlebar. I curled a finger around the aluminum bar at the end of the grip and pulled the bike upright with my little finger. It was a very convincing display of the bottom of the cellar C of G. This bike is just another example of how Honda can hide 100 lbs. The detractors will talk about how heavy it is but it feels and handles like a 372 lb bike.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #4191
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
This bike is just another example of how Honda can hide 100 lbs. The detractors will talk about how heavy it is but it feels and handles like a 372 lb bike.
This low COG thing is the "new black" I think. The Super Ten is known as a tank (that is until the Triumph 1200 and the XTourer came out, then everyone went silent) but it is way easier to move, pick up and ride than the simple specs would suggest.

There is another thing too. The heavier the vehicle / rider combo the less percentage is made up of wheel tire mass and the smoother the ride for the same wheels / tires suspension combo. Also you have less stress on the frame and less flex, leading to a more solid feel and less bits getting loose and rattly over time. There are well known down sides of course which have been covered ad nauseum.

Seems like it's probably going to be a long lived bike. All conjecture of course. Time will tell.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #4192
hapbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Me to

I like the looks and the honda-ish fit form function. But I wonder if it will make enough grunt to make my ride funner than my scooter! I love the feel of harley big twin power or torque what ever. I had a 2008 wee and hated the way it rode...never have been happy on any Suzuki can't really explain why.
So since dealer won't let me ride one...I don't know if its going to make me happy . Also would like to know what people think of new Honda cb500X...another Honda I'm interested in?

So keep the inputs coming on this and that bike so I can decide by what you guys say!
Hap
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #4193
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,527
Find a dealer that will let you test ride.
there is a desler who is on here that does but I just bought one without the test ride.I was sooooo fed up with my Vstrom that I knew I would like the X so
I just bought it,and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #4194
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Oddometer: 7,693
I just ordered a 2013 NC700 after coming from an 1150 GS Adventure. A bad left leg and foot forced me to stop riding a couple of years ago, so when this automatic appeared I was pretty pleased. Then the reports and Bike-o'-Year awards started coming in an I figured it was perfect for my slower, bigger, post-50 arse.

I think I did ok on the purchase. I got the auto with ABS, centerstand, grips,and accessory 12v plug included and installed. Incl. everything: freight, set-up and installation of options, taxes (7%), registration and title fees (about $150) the total came to $9,559.00, or $59.00 over my desired absolutely top max price that I'd never exceed.

Why did I exceed my limit? The dealer is going to go to the DMV and register it for me; when dealing with the RI DMV $59 is cheap for that service. Now that I think of it, $590 is cheap for that service.
High Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #4195
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,415
Finally had a chance to actually see and sit on one in PHX just this past week. Absolutely, without any doubt, hated the thing! Liked nothing about it. This was actually good news for me, as I'm shopping for a road bike, and it's good to cross one off the list.....especially with the huge premium Honda charges for their bikes in Canada! (Example: the new CBR1100. USA $10900. Canada $14600!!) Seriously though, I really didn't like the bike. Equally happy for all you folks who love yours. Nothing is for everyone. Ride safe.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #4196
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Finally had a chance to actually see and sit on one in PHX just this past week. Absolutely, without any doubt, hated the thing! Liked nothing about it. This was actually good news for me, as I'm shopping for a road bike, and it's good to cross one off the list.....especially with the huge premium Honda charges for their bikes in Canada! (Example: the new CBR1100. USA $10900. Canada $14600!!) Seriously though, I really didn't like the bike. Equally happy for all you folks who love yours. Nothing is for everyone. Ride safe.
Lyle
At least you crossed one off your list! No harm in that. Hopefuly you will find the bike turns you on, sooner than later.
Good luck with your search!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #4197
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
This bike is just another example of how Honda can hide 100 lbs. The detractors will talk about how heavy it is but it feels and handles like a 372 lb bike.
However, you can feel all the weight when accelerating. It feels quite calm at low speeds. To me it would bring lots of additional fun if there would be -50kg, which in my case is not a matter of engine performance, but overall weight. I like bikes to launch a bit more snappy, which is not a surprise coming from lightweight thumpers.

But then, even with all the overweight it is still a very cool ride with a user friendly CoG and good maneuvrability and handling.
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #4198
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
However, you can feel all the weight when accelerating. It feels quite calm at low speeds. To me it would bring lots of additional fun if there would be -50kg, which in my case is not a matter of engine performance, but overall weight. I like bikes to launch a bit more snappy, which is not a surprise coming from lightweight thumpers.

But then, even with all the overweight it is still a very cool ride with a user friendly CoG and good maneuvrability and handling.
If they would make one a 100 pounds lighter,50 more horse power,12K rev limit with the same fuel mileage. I would trade in a heartbeat. Probably loose my license in a couple weeks though.
Self control is not one of my strong points.

It's a lot easier for me too ride this bike at a relaxed pace than some of my others.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #4199
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseli4i6 View Post
If they would make one a 100 pounds lighter,50 more horse power,12K rev limit with the same fuel mileage. I would trade in a heartbeat. Probably loose my license in a couple weeks though.
Self control is not one of my strong points.

It's a lot easier for me too ride this bike at a relaxed pace than some of my others.
As I said, for me it is not a matter of horsepower. I have always been perfectly happy with 50 of them. And i also like to say, I love this relaxed bike for many reasons. I won't moan about "poor performance" or anything because I am happy with it.
I was only commenting on the "hidden 100lbs", that in my opinion won't hide at all when accelerating at slow speeds. This is where I feel the weight of it. That was all I was saying. There won't ever be a -50kg version of it, and I will be happy if I can get 5kg off (previously I was hoping to reach non-DCT total weight with my DCT bike), or at least not install anything that is not absolutely needed for my riding.

Phil
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #4200
wickerman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Off Road Review

Finally an off road review of the NC700X.
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...-honda-nc700x/
wickerman is offline   Reply With Quote