Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #31
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimokk View Post
Do you use the trip meter between gas fill ups? I start looking for a gas station around 250 miles on the trip meter. Don't rely on the miles to go computer read out.
250? On a GS, not a GS ADV? To get 250 I'd probably be walking the last 10, and that's on a good tank full. My "reserve" light comes on anywhere between 130 and 200 miles depending upon speed, wind, and elevation. 190 miles is typical. 130 was fighting a headwind in the desert while riding at 85 MPH.

When the light comes on it usually reads about 40~44 miles to empty. The tank nominally holds 5.2 gal.... I once put in 5.1 gal with the miles to go odo saying I had 12 miles left to empty. Either I over filled the tank by a lot or the miles to go was over estimating.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 AM   #32
kimokk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
250? On a GS, not a GS ADV? To get 250 I'd probably be walking the last 10, and that's on a good tank full. My "reserve" light comes on anywhere between 130 and 200 miles depending upon speed, wind, and elevation. 190 miles is typical. 130 was fighting a headwind in the desert while riding at 85 MPH.

When the light comes on it usually reads about 40~44 miles to empty. The tank nominally holds 5.2 gal.... I once put in 5.1 gal with the miles to go odo saying I had 12 miles left to empty. Either I over filled the tank by a lot or the miles to go was over estimating.
OP has an adventure, 8.7 gallon tank.
IBA #49426
kimokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #33
lukeinlondon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
such a relief..my gf came with some gas , we filled up and she started right away..she was out of gas! and the computer said i had 52 miles left?! thought i would take it in tomorrow to find out if this is some other side effect of the sitting around gas issue...thoughts?
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #34
lukeinlondon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

would still like any feedback people might have about the 50 miles false diagnosis..
Old 02-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #35
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,252
Google "BMW Fuel Strip" which I think your bike has.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #36
Mr.Mushman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeinlondon View Post
would still like any feedback people might have about the 50 miles false diagnosis..
Luke I am so sorry to hear that you are STILL having issues with this "brand new bike" ... Since you said it sat for 3 years (which is not good on anything) you might want to drop it off at the dealer and have him go THROUGH IT ALL, make sure you tell him that it did sit for 3 years (although I'm sure they already know you by name by now ...) so they'll know what to look for and hopefully you'll be trouble free ... I can only imagine the level of frustration, getting a great bike and going through all these headaches ... Once its all resolved you'll have a blast and we'll finally be able to hook up and RIDE ! ! ! Now I understand why I have not heard from you, I did not know you were still dealing with bike issues ... Good luck and patience WILL PREVAIL !
Old 02-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #37
lukeinlondon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Google "BMW Fuel Strip" which I think your bike has.
I now have a 2012 R1200GS and the dealer informed me that this was one of the things they changed in the design; that the GS no longer uses the strip as a sensor for the fuel level in the tank. Not sure when this change ocurred but my guess is 2010 model year and later models do not have this issue to deal with...