ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 174 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 625
I've read through this thread once and have started picking my way through a second time as well as spent some time going through the various Wiki's and am going through DRTBYK's annotated owner's manual. I just received my 600 two days ago and followed the advice in the Wiki with regards to taking it out of the box (ie: Archive, update, play). BTW I'm coming to the Montana from a SP2720 running CNNA 2008.

I've downloaded JaVaWa DM and have updated all the Garmin apps and am playing with some of the OSM maps before pulling the trigger on CNNA (am now installing http://www.osmmaps.com/united-states.html). Not sure about OSM right now since I like to use the search feature in CN that didn't work too well with the OSM Ohio routable I was using yesterday. Specifically finding the closest gas station, the OSM map showed the closest at more than 10 miles away when there was 3 that are closer and have been there for at least 5 years.

It appears that address searching is a non event using OSM so I'll be getting CNNA, unless someone can point me in the right direction.

Anyway, back to the this post...

1) I've read in various places where people have suggested different shortcuts and how to use them. Is there someplace where these have been consolidated? I remember something about a drop box that someone was maintaining but haven't been able to relocate it. Maybe a Montana Shortcut Thread like the Knowledge Base thread...?

2) Routable topo maps: Does this mean that BC or Montana will use trails when routing? Having never used topo maps before this may be a really stupid question so forgive me. I've looked at the OSM topo map and there doesn't appear to be any additional "roads" so I'm not sure what "routable" means here.

Initially the Montana seems way over my head but I'll keep plugging along. Thanks to all who have helped out in this thread!
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote