ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
BMWJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 460
Temps can be anywhere from freezing to 80 degrees F. I ride to DV about a dozen times a year. It's EASILY a day trip. If you hustle, you can make it there within two hours from Vegas. Be sure to gas up in Pahrump, or you'll be paying much higher than normal.

Ride Badwater Road, starting from Shoshone. Eat lunch in Furnace Creek, then ride up to Dante's View. After that, you should still have at least a few hours of day light left. (This is riding conservatively and checking out the sights)
08 MegaMoto #99529
BMWJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
Slippy Chips OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Thanks, now I think I'll try the loop up to the VOF and then down North Shorw dr to the Hoover Dam. Maybe I can duck over to the Grand Canyon if there's time but I'll only have about 6-7 hours of daylight by the time I can get on the road.

Thanks for the advice!
IBA #56918
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #18
BMWJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 460
Riding to South Rim is about 4 hours from Las Vegas. North Rim is farther and possibly closed (snow), but it'll be cold either way. If you do the "Vegas Area Tour", add Red Rock Canyon to your list. It's just West of Vegas and is beautiful area. I drive or ride there weekly. Valley of Fire, Red Rock Canyon, and Lake Meade NP are all fee areas. Be sure to bring cash with you (it's easier and MUCH faster). If you tour VoF, be sure to ride the road that goes North through a tight canyon. There's a museum up on the hill (usually filled with tour buses). In Lake Meade NP, take the road to Calville Bay. It's a 5 mile, knee dragging, twist piece of ribbon that a lot of sportbikers here like to ride. It ends down at the lake and there's an ok bar and delli there. The Hoover Dam road can be quite busy during weekends.

Hope this helps.
08 MegaMoto #99529
BMWJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
Ride-DR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Chips View Post
Flying to Vegas a day early for a meeting on feb 11. Thought it would be a great way to see some different scenery before getting stuck in meetings all week.

1. What are some good rental places there? Any reccomendations? The one I found (eaglerider) is closed Sundays and I would only be able to ride until about 2pm on Monday.

2. If I can work out a bike, what are some great areas to head to?

Thanks!
I off Sun, Mon, Tuesdays if your wanting to do some dirt riding just let me know.
Ride-DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #20
Slippy Chips OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Done!

Hey Ride-DR, Sorry I missed your post, I didn't check in much the week or so leading up to the trip.

The trip was great! Thanks for all the great feedback and suggestions everyone. I ended up staying close to Vegas and did "The Loop" on Sunday, then Red Rock Canyon on Monday morning before turning the rental back in. I left Vegas about 12 noon and headed strait North on 15 to the Valley of Fire. It was a high of 45 that day, but my new Klim Latitude Jacket and Patagonia liner kept me suprisingly warm. The wind, however, was BRUTAL!!! I seriously thought I was going to die several times just trying to get out of Vegas. The cab drivers in Vegas are all trying to kill you anyway even if you aren't getting blown 3-4 feet side to side every 20 seconds. It's just not something we have to deal with here in The South since we have these things called "trees" that block most of it. I think this wind was unusual for Vegas and it moderated once I got out of town. I limped north at 60 MPH until I was passed by a new Ferrari and two guys on Harleys doing 100+ MPH, so I figured I was good to step it up a notch. I just hadn't realized the wind had died down as much as it had.

The VOF was absolutely INCREDIBLE. The roads were awsome and a few some of the trails were open as well. It was definitly the off season and the crowds were small. Everywhere you look there's an amazing vista. I only spent about 2 hours there since I started so late but it was worth every bit of it. From there I headed west to Northshore Dr and down to the Hoover Dam. I have to say this was so much more than I had expected. I dnon't know why but I really only imagined it as a flat little ride along the lake, but there were mountain views and all sorts of twisties to make it fun. I took a short detour out to Stewart Point which was vacant and kind of wierded me out. But the view of the lake from there was priceless. By the time I got to the Hoover dam the sun was setting and the temp had dropped into the 30's. I got out, used the restroom, took a picture, and booked it bakc to Vegas where I dodged cab drivers and the wind to get back to my Hotel.

Monday morning I left out at 7 am in 35 degree temps. Red Rock Cayon is only 30 minutes out of Vegas but felt like another world. As long as I was moving the gear kept me warm, but I was getting on and off again which made me sweat some, and that made me cold when the wind blew. The VOF and Northsore Dr was a tough act to follow, but RRC was certainly a worthy trip. Once again it was super cold and there weren't a lot of people. Great place for pictures though:

IBA #56918
Old 02-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #21
Slippy Chips OP
Gnarly Adventurer

BMW of Las Vegas

Also, I have to give a HUGE shout out to the guys at BMW of Las Vegas. They bent over backwards for me to make sure I had a great trip. It turns out it's the off season for them and they're closed on Sundays and Mondays. No big deal in the peak times but Clay actually had to come in on his off day to work it out for me. It's a really nice store too. I was tempted to pick up a couple of farkles while I was there to bring home with me.

The bike was great. It had a nice set of Tourances on it and all 3 Vario cases. As you would probably expect from a rental bike that has been ridden 100's of times by people who push it hard and may not know what they're doing, it's a little quirky and scratched. I definitly felt safe and never worried about it not being able to do what I was asking of it. I will rent from them again!
IBA #56918