Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #46
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,367
Went to the Classic meeting on friday - needed to carry a pillion and have storage for boots and jackets etc. Found this old R65 in the back of the shed and thought I'd give it an airing.

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #47
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

Changed my oil yesterday, last of my Valvoline XLD Classic, and used a no brand filter and white O ring....I don't think I'll go the cheap way next time, they look cheap. Also fitted a K&N air filter, not because they are the bestest filter you can get, but there was one on TM cheaper than a new BMW one. I also converted to road tube breather - I don't like my engines consuming their own waste products, and bits of pipe sticking down my intake tubes can't be good either. I brought the breather tube straight out the top, right where the right hand intake snorkel is. Supershaft has me concerned about losing bottom end power without snorkels - he knows everything and is always right....always, even if he isn't. I went for a ride and put the snorkel on and off - no difference. Maybe on an R100, but my R65 is an angry wasp, not a droning bumblebee.

Now I need a filter on my road tube, like the Boi Racers have on their Honda Civics. What colour...red ?

Or maybe blue ?

No, I can do better than that ! I've got a shed full of shit I've been hoarding for over 40 years. I found this - and it's adjustable, it just gets better.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #48
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

Got some new bling.

You might need a closer look....

A spirited 300km ride today, and not a drop of oil from my breather filter.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #49
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,536
I see, I am going to have to start an "Am I allowed to do this modification to my BMW motorcycle" thread. People will have to post their intentions and see if they will be approved.....I'll let you have the filter, but I am sorry, the badge will have to go .
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #50
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
G
A spirited 300km ride today, and not a drop of oil from my breather filter.

Doh! here's me wondering how you were going to fix two carb inlet tubes to that dinky lil tuneable pod filter
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #51
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
does this mean that your lawnmower now runs on its own farts?
Voltaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #52
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

A baffling time in the shed this weekend. The gutted stock exhaust was quiet and gave some good top end, but a big hole in the middle, even with the needles as high as they can go - I need to slow the exhaust down. My original plan was to fit baffles into the stock cans, but that means slicing them open and welding them up again, some snuffs into the collector is much easier.

Holes of different sizes for different Hz ? Sounds like it must work. Off cuts of bending tube, so have to be hand sized for a good fit.

I'm in no hurry to fit them, but they'll go on the bike sometime this year. Went for a ride on a dusty road last weekend, and then on a wet muddy road, so had a look at how the K&N did. Oil in the airbox from over oiling, but no dirt, so that's a good start.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #53
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

I tried out my snuffs today, quiet, but makes a horrible drone around town...lucky I don't do much of that. Well, they solved the hole in the bottom end, makes good power everywhere, not quite as good as the 2 into 1 and Supertrapp, but pretty good. Can still do 8,000rpm in 3rd and pulled 7,500 in 4th....was still pulling and felt like pushing it to 8,000, but we were over 165kph and there were too many turkeys on the road... feathered ones.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 AM   #54
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
your challenge

http://motorivista.com/bmw-r65-retro-motard/

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:49 AM   #55
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

Well, it may not look it, but the chameleon R65 has been changed again. It's now a commuter, putting in 380km a week on country roads....so stock seat, quiet exhaust and road tyres - boring. I'm going to have to carry stuff like wet weather gear, cold weather gloves, lunch, homers etc - but the stock side opening panniers would be a pain to open on the side of the road to get some leggings out. So I need the small top loaders....but they don't fit with the stock seat. As the bike was made to work in gravel I didn't want to do the wank adventure thing and have them right up high and back - low and forward gets the weight in the right place for those long full lock slides. But they have to go back and up to clear those stock mufflers - cut hack, bend weld....another version of my R65 is on the road.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #56
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

So I'm been commuting on the bike for a while now, and mutating as I hone it for the task. Spring and early summer I was heading home into big head winds, so fitted the S fairing and stock bars, and this really helps in the wind - those big headwinds are no problem now, and don't get smacked around following curtainsiders. I'm getting to enjoy the low narrow bars, but not confident in the wet...it's just so heavy and slow with the narrow bars, I feel I'll lose the front end before I can save it.

I started off with the stock exhaust, but the fuel range was dismal, going onto reserve at between 310 and 320km....one day with fuel on board I ran it dry at 367km. NOT what I was expecting. So I fitted my 2 into 1 with the Supertrapp with 8 plates and 50mm cone - more power everywhere, and fuel range extended to 330 to 340km to reserve, filling up at 385km with 20 litres. Next I fitted my 38mm reducing pipe - back to 310 to 320km to reserve.

I'm riding at 4,000rpm most of the time, actually between 4,100 and 4,500rpm, or 100pkh to 110kph to stay under the radar. So I guess i have a hole in my bottom end there....maybe running rich too, although I doubt lowering the needles will bring back the fuel economy that much.

Obviously the bike likes an open pipe, and Supertrapp say 5 is the same as a stock system, 12 an open pipe, so put 12 plates in - not a lot extra noise, and the same fuel economy. so now going from 12 to 10, then I'll go back to 8 which seems to be the sweet spot.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:09 AM   #57
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

Around the clock.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #58
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,315
Now you've got it run in you can really start thrashing it

She's a neat looking old bus.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #59
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

Getting fat for winter.

Getting cold these mornings, and my fingers are freezing. I got these Oxford muffs last year, but they don't fit with the narrow bars, so took off the S fairing and stock bars, and back to my Slideways dirttrack bars...and muffs. Horrible things, but they work, and these ones take heaters if I need warmer hands. I have to take off the mirrors to fit them, one day I'll cut them so they just slip on and off. Stock seat and guard for better protection - water and shit goes everywhere with the Harley seat...and a better light for foggy days. I want to rationalise my panniers - I have to remove frames to swap. I will adapt the cistern panniers to the BMW racks, so I only have to swap bags.

After 6 months of low narrow bars, I can now get an idea of how these would feel to someone riding my bike for the first time - these bars are huge! I have to turn my head to check the mirrors. The bike is so much lighter and more responsive, reaffirming my idea that if you want heavy sluggish steering, fit narrow bars. Changes of direction require pratically no input, just look and the bike goes there. I'm more in the wind, the small screen does nothing...and wind is the problem - it's not so much the bike getting knocked around in the wind, but when a gust hits my body, bracing against it puts pressure on the bars and the bike moves. The narrow bars require so much more input it's more stable in the wind.

How's my tyre ?

Sweet, I should get another 1,000km out of that. On the cold wet winter roads tyres hardly wear at all.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:03 PM   #60
Left Testicle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
best gloves for the job. BMW winter gloves. got 2 sets over 18 years old . still great
Left Testicle is offline   Reply With Quote